Votes: 33 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullMetal

So, I was just looking around the forum, and I really wanted to give some people reputation. Not for one post, but for their overall performance and accelerations in the site.

I can't though.

Simply, I am suggesting that when you go to someones profile, there is a reputation button. I would suggest it only be used for giving positive reputation, because one time my mother told me, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

I will add a poll to see if anyone likes this. Leave any comments on the idea.

FullMetal

Wegs

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Nice idea! Kind of ties in with something I heard a while ago:

Well, once in a while someone goes to the ends of the earth to help out, but can't be repped as it was not done in a post.

I think this would solve that little problem well, and it would be a nice thing to do.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
When you rep a post, it doesn't necessarily have to be for that post. Someone on this site it says that you can rep people for other things than just pots, such as chat etiquette. Since you can't do what you said (rep in profiles), I just assume you it doesn't matter.

F

Falkio

Wegs: I believe it was Dreamaker who said that.

FullMetal:

I agree. There are times in IRC where people are helpful, thoughtful, or kind. When a member does his best to contribute, a pat on the back is a great encouragement. It should be available to allow reputation over Wiki, chat, and general contributory actions.

Plus, I like you, so I support it. :)

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I like this idea as well, because even though when you rep a post it doesn't necessarily have to be for THAT post, you still feel like it is.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
The only thing I'd be afraid of is people will start using the reputation button on profiles more than posts.

Also, it's easy to say to someone "yeah, you're a good member! i enjoy your contribution to the site!" without it being necessarily justified. If someone is a good member, and it's legit, I'm SURE you can find a post to rep. I know i've made comments before along the lines of "Good post, and thanks for being a positive person on the site! etc..."

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
There are pros and cons to this but I like the idea.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Good idea: It'd allow people to rep for stuff that isn't necessarily in a post. I think that the whole "Have a reason" rule should still be employed, though, and a small description of the reason should be given. (I've already thought of the fact that some things are private, between the two people only, so don't mention that little issue if you don't have a potential solution for it, thank you.)

I also agree that it should only be used for positive rep. If a person is being a bad member all around, or doing bad things in general, report them. That's what it's for.

Bad idea/Issues: People who have their profiles set as restricted in some way.

Role
  1. Private
Redundancy much? I'm going to have to disagree with this idea.

When you rep a post, it doesn't necessarily have to be for that post. Someone on this site it says that you can rep people for other things than just pots, such as chat etiquette. Since you can't do what you said (rep in profiles), I just assume you it doesn't matter.

Exactly. I've done it in the past. If I think someone is excelling on the forum, I just find any post they made and give them a clear reason that it's for their overall performance on the site, not that particular post.

What's next, a rep button for photos, wiki contributions, blogs? I know in the latter case we've been directed to just find a post of theirs and tell them it's for their blog entry.

I don't see the need to have multiple ways to perform the same function. If people just take an extra half-minute to give a clear explanation, we won't need a rep function for every feature of this site.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy

Exactly. I've done it in the past. If I think someone is excelling on the forum, I just find any post they made and give them a clear reason that it's for their overall performance on the site, not that particular post.

What's next, a rep button for photos, wiki contributions, blogs? I know in the latter case we've been directed to just find a post of theirs and tell them it's for their blog entry.

I don't see the need to have multiple ways to perform the same function. If people just take an extra half-minute to give a clear explanation, we won't need a rep function for every feature of this site.

Must take this as a lesson to not change views just because Lukie feels differently...

F

FullMetal

I missed the part where I said to add those features in but I will be sure to try and not say such crazy things in the future.

FullMetal

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
I missed the part where I said to add those features in but I will be sure to try and not say such crazy things in the future.

FullMetal

He was using the "Slippery Slope" literary fallacy. :)

I'm sure you know it, Edward. ^_^ (I'm funny!)

Role
  1. Private
Whilst I completely agree that people should be honoured for their efforts, I find it inscrutable as to why there needs to be a specific function for it. I don't feel that appreciating someone's efforts is a matter of hitting a button and writing a short message - I can look over my rep history for that. Rather, I'd be more inclined to feel respected by the continued positive interactions I have with others here... and that's something you cannot quantitatively measure or give out.

Despite having given rep out in the past, not for a post, but for their presence on the forum, I get the feeling it's more beneficial and more productive to just be friendly to them, give them some mindful respect, give them some of your time and just enjoy their company. You can't put a value on that.

Besides, there's no difference in the giddy feeling you get between an post-rep and a point for other reasons. Both indirectly say, "Hey! I appreciate your efforts!" ... and I don't see why we need two functions to achieve that same feeling.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Whilst I completely agree that people should be honoured for their efforts, I find it inscrutable as to why there needs to be a specific function for it. I don't feel that appreciating someone's efforts is a matter of hitting a button and writing a short message - I can look over my rep history for that. Rather, I'd be more inclined to feel respected by the continued positive interactions I have with others here... and that's something you cannot quantitatively measure or give out.

Despite having given rep out in the past, not for a post, but for their presence on the forum, I get the feeling it's more beneficial and more productive to just be friendly to them, give them some mindful respect, give them some of your time and just enjoy their company. You can't put a value on that.

Besides, there's no difference in the giddy feeling you get between an post-rep and a point for other reasons. Both indirectly say, "Hey! I appreciate your efforts!" ... and I don't see why we need two functions for the same thing.

1) I know what you mean. It makes me think of my complete adoration of you. ^_^

2) Actually, there is. The rep giddyness can be felt at will...

(>.> I think I might be the only person who reads her rep just to feel good every now and again...)

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Carer
Yeah, I agree with that idea. There are people around here who are always helping and such, and you can't quite narrow it down to one post per se. That would be a good feature.

ajsco

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
The 4 who voted no should be dragged out side of ADISC, placed up against a wall, and shot.

This is an absolutely fantastic idea - there are so many people who help out in the IRC and via PM's and they cannot be repped.

Status
Not open for further replies.