Reputation Power?

Read Below First.

• I like today's rep power system better.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I like the TBDL version better.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 21 51.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovy

is back, baby!
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
I think I remember that on the old TBDL, members who had a lot of rep or an old account, even if they weren't mods, had a stronger rep power than 1. And, for some reason, when I was repped by the webmaster, who was [Moo's old name] at the time, I only got +2 rep, not +3 as it would be today. For those who don't know, newbies-VIPs have +1 rep power, chat mods: +2, forum mods: +3. This is not a petition for Moo to change this, this is just me wondering what all your opinions are in this matter. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think it was, for every 50 rep points, you got another +/-1 power, which makes sense.

I actually wouldn't mind it going back to that.

Also - even if you have +/-3 you are still able to give only +/-1. I know Moo can give out +/-3 here, but I've received a +/-1. It's not an automatic thing where you now HAVE to give/take more than one. It's all in moderation.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I prefer it how it is...Especially since I never knew it the other way, and people who didn't know it that way, and are used to this way, have to get used to another thing...Plus, like someone said, you'd have to deal with potential abusers

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well considering you only get another power point when you reach 50, if you're able -to- reach 50 rep points then you should be trusted with it.

Besides, we deal with abusers now. How? Simply by suspending their repping abilities.

Edit: On another note, I wouldn't mind seeing it move up to 100. So every 100 reps, you get another rep point.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It's somewhat unlikely that someone with a high enough rep to have more rep power would also be a user who abuses the rep system.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Mandi...You're probably going to be the only one being able to have an extra rep power point for a good while...

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Trying to remember.....I think under TBDL I had a maximum rep power of two, and that was with about 40 or so rep myself. I do remember you could give rep anywhere from neutral on up to your max. power at your descetion. So Moo, for example, could give 0, 1, 2 or 3 depending on what he felt your post deserved.

~Pramrider

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I think the higher the rep score, the more you should be able to pos-rep, or at least neg rep people. I'd personally put it at 30 points, because I know folks with 18 or 20 where I wonder how they got to that point. Mandi, for instance, likely deserves all of her rep, but certain others likely don't.

I know rep adjustment is a *****, but it needs to be done. If one is a mod for a BB like this, one should know that. There will be abusers no matter what? I've even abused it by accident by reporting a post that mods didn't agree should be reported. Same would happen with rep, but if we really want the rep system, we deal with its faults.

At 30, you get a second rep-weilding point, at 60, you get a third. And if there is any evidence of "friends" somehow elevating eachothers' rep, they need to be banned.

Role
Private
I liked the old TBDL version better.

I just like the choice associated with giving people certain levels of reputation. I mean, there are some great posts made here that I wouldn't think twice about giving some reputation to. But then there are some purely awesome posts that I would have liked to give more than just one point to. Instead of saying "Great post, have a rep point", it's saying, "You know, I loved your post that much I'm going to give you more!". I know for me when I received multiple rep from the one person for the one post, it made me feel pretty good about myself. As much as I have denounced it in the past, I can't deny that getting a bit of rep gives you that motivation to keep on posting.

As it stands right now, I'm finding it a little hard to make posts with a lot of content and still maintain a good quality to them. This is mostly due to the fact that it doesn't matter if I make a long post, or a shorter one, I'm still only going to receive one rep point per person. Why would I spend my time typing up something huge, when the reward will be the same for a much shorter and less time-consuming post? Not that I really care about rep, nor have I ever cared much about it, but to actually be rewarded more by putting in that extra bit of effort really promotes a sense of motivation and eagerness to continue contributing in an outstanding way.

Aside from that, having multiple levels of rep power varies it up greatly. It feels so tedious and drawn out how the rep-rankings hardly ever change that much, since only one point is ever given at a time. Being able to give out 2, 3, or even 4 rep at a time makes it more dynamic and interesting, which greatly supplements the fact people would be more willing to post quality stuff if they knew they might get a better reward for it. It may also, depending on what the secret requirement is, stop people from being randomly dropped from VIP to a Regular and, in turn, will stop the complaints and arguments about it.

As a personal note, I liked having the choice to give people more or less reputation based on what I thought they deserved. I don't feel as if I'm showing my appreciation enough by just giving out a single point all the time. Bring the old system back!

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Good point about making rep more dynamic. In real life, someone can gain or lose a lot of reputation with a single action... so the forum should reflect that. If you get some agreement (say, that regulars should have a power of up to 2, VIPs should have a power of up to 3).... contact Peachy about it, and ask him to put it in the list of features for me to work on when I have some spare time.

Role
Private
Good point about making rep more dynamic. In real life, someone can gain or lose a lot of reputation with a single action... so the forum should reflect that. If you get some agreement (say, that regulars should have a power of up to 2, VIPs should have a power of up to 3).... contact Peachy about it, and ask him to put it in the list of features for me to work on when I have some spare time.
So you aren't interested is gaining levels, as it used to be? Where reaching certain rep values got you more power?

I remember getting 4 rep from Rance (on numerous occasions, god bless his soul!), and he wasn't any higher than a VIP. :p

I don't care either way, but it does open more opportunity than just powers of 1-3.

S

Secret

Well considering you only get another power point when you reach 50, if you're able -to- reach 50 rep points then you should be trusted with it.

Besides, we deal with abusers now. How? Simply by suspending their repping abilities.
I like Mandis original idea about one more point for every fifty rep.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I prefer it how it is...Especially since I never knew it the other way, and people who didn't know it that way, and are used to this way, have to get used to another thing...
That's selfish. TBDL was here before ADISC. >.>

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I like the idea, But I would restrict it to 3+. And keep it to -1 lowest, the reason for not being able to neg rep is because it saves those poor souls who post neg rep worth stuff, but gets neg repped by every member on the board, leaving him with -6 for one post. Not really fair.

But back on TBDL, I would would get upto like +7 rep for 3 rep comments. I personally think the members were being too generous, the system has not to be completely overbalanced.

But if it does go ahead, would the Secret requirement need amending to accommodate this change in rep system? To try and keep it slightly more balanced. Not that I wanted to bring up the topic and start a separate debate on how to change it. But its something to consider as it may mean VIPs being dropped/gained by various members. Which there was a period after it was introduced that A few members got upset over. We may have to go through that phase again.

Role
Private
I like the idea, But I would restrict it to 3+. And keep it to -1 lowest, the reason for not being able to neg rep is because it saves those poor souls who post neg rep worth stuff, but gets neg repped by every member on the board, leaving him with -6 for one post. Not really fair.

But back on TBDL, I would would get upto like +7 rep for 3 rep comments. I personally think the members were being too generous, the system has not to be completely overbalanced.
That's fair, actually and didn't think too much about it. I'd be happy to agree to this. Let the power max-out at 3+ and the lowest at 1-.

However, I don't think anyone can be too generous with rep, it's not like people will complain they are getting too much of it. Besides, as I said previously, it brings about a more dynamic part of the forum.

But if it does go ahead, would the Secret requirement need amending to accommodate this change in rep system? To try and keep it slightly more balanced. Not that I wanted to bring up the topic and start a separate debate on how to change it. But its something to consider as it may mean VIPs being dropped/gained by various members. Which there was a period after it was introduced that A few members got upset over. We may have to go through that phase again.
That's one thing I want to know officially from Moo.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I agree with increasing rep power with status and I agree with UnMarth's Idea of restricting the neg to -1 or -2 max but only for mods and admins.

If we are not totally sure about how it will work, we could do a trial week to test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.