Reputation and Blogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullMetal

Is it possible to add reputation to blogs, maybe separate from the forum reputation. Because even though I have not read too many blogs, the ones that I did read are extremely clever, well written and sometimes even helpful. I think it would be a neat idea. The only problem I foresee is negative reputation...which I do not see really possible because a blog is supposed to be your own person bubble, like a journal, so negative reputation shouldn't even be handed out.

Just thinking.

FullMetal

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
I think blogs should remain neutral as they're a place for people to vent out and let there opinions known without dealing with rep, this could lead to a disagreement and cause neg-rep for someones own blog.

EDIT: Re-reading this it I didnt sound that clear, the part with neg rep on this post is reiterating the point of it being a bad ideo.

BluTack

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
No. It's a place where we can say our thoughts aloud and other stuff without being repped.

I.e You want to vent about your neighbor saying that he's a arsehole for playing his music loud all night and I neg rep you cos of you broken his window You wouldn't like it would you.

AKA Do you want you life repped?

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Currently, it is not possible to give someone reputation for blog posts. The blogging software is still in beta and doesn't have such extensive features yet.

When it does, I will think about it, but for now, it doesn't seem possible.

F

FullMetal

Alright, sorry :( I just saw some good stuff in the blog and wanted to give it reputation because I thought it was written cleverly and all, but I see your point. It was just a thought, what ever.

FullMetal

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Not your fault, I'm just scared of people neg repping blogs. As Mike said, a blog is supposed to be a place to post stuff about your life, and rating one's life isn't very smart, but some people might do that.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Alright, sorry :( I just saw some good stuff in the blog and wanted to give it reputation because I thought it was written cleverly and all, but I see your point. It was just a thought, what ever.

FullMetal

Going into a thread and giving them rep ftw?

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Indeed, you can just give them rep for a post they made, and say it is for their blog entry

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'm on the fence with rep for blogs. Yes - there have been a few blogs that I've wanted to give rep on, or comments on my blogs that deserved rep for good advice, but like everyone else said, neg rep wouldn't be fair. It's like, oh, is it the secrets thread (maybe?) that rep shouldn't be given because it's personal.

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur
Blogs aren't always particulary personal. I know I see a lot of blogs that are just about general everyday things rather than the blogger's life.

I think some do deserve positive rep - they can be insightful, interesting and witty. I see a lot of effort going into some blog entries - clearly much more than goes into some posts, which still get some rep.

I suppose there's the option of just repping a post and saying it's for the blog, but that feels weird to me. I just don't like the idea of giving rep on a post if it's not actually for that particular post.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. Writing a good blog gives you a great feeling of satisfaction and so it's its own reward. I don't think it particulary needs rep to go with it.

But the thing I like about blogging is that it's my space, so I can write what I want without having to worry about people not really liking it - so there's no way I'd want the option to neg-rep someone for their blog. But then, it seems unfair to be able to be able to give someone positive rep but not negative.

care_a_lot

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Its sometimes hard enough to get a negative comment on something that you have written in a blog let alone the possibility of having your life rated. Its a bit hard I think because people are so individual. Lets say two people look at a wall. This wall is black but fades into white...or is it white and darkens into black? Who is to know? And who's to know that a third person doesn't come behind them and insist that its grey cos of the bit in the middle? I understand the want to write something in a blog but I think that a caring coment or PM would be more appreciated than having an ability to rate them.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
No. It's a place where we can say our thoughts aloud and other stuff without being repped.

I.e You want to vent about your neighbor saying that he's a arsehole for playing his music loud all night and I neg rep you cos of you broken his window You wouldn't like it would you.

AKA Do you want you life repped?
:whs0be: Like Mickal said, it would be like rating someone's life, considering it's all about blogging what's going on in your life and what's on your mind. I agree I've seen blogs that, given the option, I would consider giving rep to... but still the idea doesn't really fly with me.
Plus we have all this contraversy with repping posts on the forums, so it would be best not to add to the confusion just now, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.