Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
Ok, it's been on my mind again and I feel I need to talk about it. If the mods wish they can close it. This is more to just get it off my chest.

I am also going to completely be honest here and admit a few things that I have not before. I don't hate the rep system as much as I let on. I mean .. I don't like it, but it's often not due to the rep system necessarily being bad.

The reason I personally don't like it is because i'm jealous when I see others get rep and it often bugs me because it makes me feel pretty inadequate and not appreciated. As of now I have 1,331 posts and 4 rep. I had 5, but got negative rep for a "Profoundly unhelpful response" ... which to me is utter non sense to begin with. It's a forum where people have different opinions about things and I happened to get negative rep for having an opinion someone didn't like. Not only that but getting rep is such a rare occurrence on this site in the first place.

Now I actually am not 100% certain how it works exactly. I found this post by Moo from 2010. So correct me if this is wrong. Very likely could have changed.

Distinguished Contributor requires 10 new rep in the last 2 years to maintain.
Top Contributor requires 10 new rep in the last year to maintain.

Ok, so this means considering that 4 rep I have gotten was in the last year .... maybe I am not doing so bad. But ... it takes 2 years! 2 years to even become a distinguished contributor. That is absolutely absurd in my opinion. Why isn't it just 5 rep in the last year to match up with the 10 for the first year? It's literally the same thing but you are capable of showing appreciation for that member sooner rather than later. In fact, it makes no sense why the lower title would require more time to get than the higher title.

Now I know, I understand you all have tried many rep systems before and this I guess was the one you all finally stuck with. However it has a huge flaw in my opinion in that it really makes every member on this site probably either not care about the rep system, or feel under appreciated if they do care and are unable to reach the 10 rep due to the system hardly ever being used in the first place.

I also do know for certain there are plenty of people on this site who also are not too fond of the rep system. In fact from what I gathered from my previous thread on the matter, which I posted probably close to a year ago now, very few people actually like it as it is.

I also noticed you all have had tons of issues with the rep system in the past and actually read some of the threads and even then their complaints where similar to even my complaints now. I don't think you fixed the problems it had, you just made it so it's rarely used to the point that it's almost like it's not even there at times. The problems become less noticeable but they are still there.

Well anyway, sorry for ... bringing this up again. I realize I can be a pain in the butt ... but I really couldn't get it off my mind unless I wrote it down and posted it. At least then I feel it was said and is out in the open rather than just ... making me stressed and depressed.

TL;DR ... the rep system for me personally, makes me feel like crap majority of the time and that is generally why I don't really like it. I feel there isn't enough opportunity to feel like you are being appreciated here.

Edit: I am actually going to do something stupid here but feel it's worth mentioning lol.
I got a positive rep and it says "Great Point." That's it. If I got rep for every time I had a "great point", well jeez ... probably be much higher than 4. But you see ... I just find it incredibly inconsistent lol.

>.< I hope you all don't take it away though, just surprised it was accepted lol.

P

PyjamaBaby

I've posted quite a bit. Never got any Rep either way as far as I know. I only view via tapatalk so don't really see it.

Maybe you could try that brabbit. Then you won't see rep either way.

I'm here to make myself feel better and also to lighten the load of others if I can. I gain my own self worth. I personally think Rep is a bit about self worth when you are looking for it.

Be yourself and help others, but don't worry what strangers think of you

MarchinBunny

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
I've posted quite a bit. Never got any Rep either way as far as I know. I only view via tapatalk so don't really see it.

Maybe you could try that brabbit. Then you won't see rep either way.

I'm here to make myself feel better and also to lighten the load of others if I can. I gain my own self worth. I personally think Rep is a bit about self worth when you are looking for it.

Be yourself and help others, but don't worry what strangers think of you

Ya, I often think I shouldn't care much about rep ... but doesn't that defeat the purpose of it even existing to begin with?

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I hear what is being said.

I have come to the conclusion that all of my reps came from 5 friends that do not come on line that often now.

The main thing I have to keep in mind is the 5 PM that thank me for helping someone change their life for the better.

I have also had one removed recently and also have gotten three that did not say anything, so of course they where removed.

I was under the impression that the system was going to be upgraded last April, but that never happened.

The big questions would come down to: have you rep anyone recently ?

Like what was indicated this has been discussed and can turn very negative rather fast.

Egor

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
This is a fine topic, as long as we keep in mind that ADISC is not a democratic society.

I do think that the rep counter should be added back to users' posts. It disappeared a couple of years ago for reasons that weren't explained in a satisfying way (IMO), and with as infrequently as rep is given, it seems worth displaying, even if it doesn't meet the bar for "leveling up".

M

Marka

My rough analogy of the rep system here is basically spifs or token gestures - that are intended to encourage or incentivize those with perhaps, a more polished and consistent interaction (or desire to achieve that)... that, is perhaps most desirable as a best representation over-all of what we offer and do here... Think of it as a bit of a marketing device for the website as a whole...

It may also show nuances of more consistently calm and level-headed, fair, and more thoughtfully worded interactions too... which is to say that it is not enough to simply be accurate yet, engaging and approachable for and from all manner of people, too... (again, as a matter of the larger general scale - there are situations where "never-mind nice, just be accurate" does apply *sort of*)

It's also not just a matter of hitting the target here and there yet, it also tends to include an overall rapport with the community at large, as well as on multiple, individual basis...

I do very clearly see and, have experienced my own significant angst and grief earlier on with this system... however, as challenging as it was - it did go along way to temper my anxieties and condition my perspectives to a much more helpful (to me and others) viewpoint... healthier...

So perhaps, the biggest change needed, might be to simply rename the system... something like "Community Health Points"... It's not about personal gains... it's about community gains...

Well, that was my noodling on this matter for now...

Happy motoring,
-Marka

MarchinBunny

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
The big questions would come down to: have you rep anyone recently ?

Hmm I typically don't use the system myself, but I would if it actually felt reasonable and not so much of a pain to be honest. Like as I said ... whether rep is accepted or not has been pretty inconsistent for me, so I rarely bother with it cause I never have any idea what deserves it and what does not. I mean ... I got positive rep and it went through for having a good point apparently. It just makes no sense to me.

This is a fine topic, as long as we keep in mind that ADISC is not a democratic society.

I do think that the rep counter should be added back to users' posts. It disappeared a couple of years ago for reasons that weren't explained in a satisfying way (IMO), and with as infrequently as rep is given, it seems worth displaying, even if it doesn't meet the bar for "leveling up".

Oh ya, I know ADISC isn't a democratic society lol.
I agree with you. I think if the rep counter is shown it would probably remind people that the system exists in the first place and would end up being used more often. I actually think that is one of the biggest issues is it's just rarely used.

Although I will say i'm not a big fan of how long it takes to even rank up. I mean 2 years seems a bit much if you ask me.

- - - Updated - - -

My rough analogy of the rep system here is basically spifs or token gestures - that are intended to encourage or incentivize those with perhaps, a more polished and consistent interaction (or desire to achieve that)... that, is perhaps most desirable as a best representation over-all of what we offer and do here... Think of it as a bit of a marketing device for the website as a whole...

It may also show nuances of more consistently calm and level-headed, fair, and more thoughtfully worded interactions too... which is to say that it is not enough to simply be accurate yet, engaging and approachable for and from all manner of people, too... (again, as a matter of the larger general scale - there are situations where "never-mind nice, just be accurate" does apply *sort of*)

It's also not just a matter of hitting the target here and there yet, it also tends to include an overall rapport with the community at large, as well as on multiple, individual basis...

I do very clearly see and, have experienced my own significant angst and grief earlier on with this system... however, as challenging as it was - it did go along way to temper my anxieties and condition my perspectives to a much more helpful (to me and others) viewpoint... healthier...

So perhaps, the biggest change needed, might be to simply rename the system... something like "Community Health Points"... It's not about personal gains... it's about community gains...

Well, that was my noodling on this matter for now...

Happy motoring,
-Marka

Well it's an interesting perspective for sure, but the titles you get having nothing to do with that sort of thing. It's about contribution to the site. If they where to rename the system they might as well rename the titles you get as well to make it not even about contribution.

Also .. if you experienced angst and grief earlier on with the system .. I don't think that is a good thing even if it did eventually happen to work out for you and help you in the end. Considering everyone deals with things differently.

To me personally ... as it stands right now ... it has more to do with luck and happening to come across someone who actually uses the system and gives you rep.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Although I will say i'm not a big fan of how long it takes to even rank up. I mean 2 years seems a bit much if you ask me.

It takes a minimum of 90 days to get to DC and 180 days to get to TC. You're mixing up the rep/time required to earn a level with the rep/time required to maintain it. It's still a bit of time, no doubt, but not really all that much.

MarchinBunny

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
It takes a minimum of 90 days to get to DC and 180 days to get to TC. You're mixing up the rep/time required to earn a level with the rep/time required to maintain it. It's still a bit of time, no doubt, but not really all that much.

Wait .. so how much rep do you need to gain to actually earn the title to begin with?

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Wait .. so how much rep do you need to gain to actually earn the title to begin with?

For DC, you need:
* 10+ rep total
* 10+ rep within the last two years
* membership for 90+ days

For TC, you need:
* 20+ rep total
* 10+ rep within the last one year
* membership for 180+ days

So you can get to TC by earning 20+ rep in your first 180 days here, for instance.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Hmm. Hmm. This is a tough one to think about, and a tough one to talk about as a currently gold name person, but I hope my thoughts on it are valuable. First, I view the rep system, myself, as something to mark out really special posts. I give it out pretty rarely (I want to say I give out 1 a month on average) and I'm looking for a post where someone has said something really helpful, provided some new insight, or really contributed some expertise that others may not have. I also, unfortunately, don't have the time to read every thread, so I'm limited by what I actually see and I'm sure I've missed a few good ones.

The reason that I treat rep like that is that I think of it as a system to acknowledge people for contributing in a way that I really want to see more. I know how I've felt when I got rep for some good posts, and it's really encouraging. I think it sucks that there's a reverse side where people like Brabbit feel discouraged that they haven't received rep even if they've made good posts. But I think that on balance it might be worthwhile having that negative aspect of it in exchange for the effectiveness of encouraging people when they're being really helpful. And, I mean, I'd like to think that I'd help people to the best of my ability no matter what sort of system were in place, but I also know that I get a little smile when I see a post I've made has received a positive rep and is highlighted at the top of the site. It's pretty hard to say that feeling good has no effect on my desire, either conscious or subconscious, to come hang out on ADISC.

The other thing about the rep system is that there are some aspects of it that aren't entirely fair, but again I'm not sure the downside of that unfairness outweighs the advantages of it. What I mean is that rep on this site, from my experience over the past few years, is typically given for a particular tone of posts that focus on dispute resolution, balancing arguments, and providing a balanced overall perspective. Posts that are well-written but take a controversial side usually don't get rep, and posts that are absolutely 100% correct but are written using casual, crude, or inflammatory language almost never get rep. And I say that's unfair because some of those posts probably have been really helpful for people and might have deserved rep. But, that unfairness is balanced by the fact that the system encourages speaking in a certain style that does help support a lot of different people and discourages rhetoric that can sometimes unintentionally upset some people. And that's a good thing.

So, I dunno, I'm perfectly open to tweaking it, but most of what I've read in this thread makes me think that it's working about as intended.

MarchinBunny

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
For DC, you need:
* 10+ rep total
* 10+ rep within the last two years
* membership for 90+ days

For TC, you need:
* 20+ rep total
* 10+ rep within the last one year
* membership for 180+ days

So you can get to TC by earning 20+ rep in your first 180 days here, for instance.

Ok ... so the system itself ... not much wrong with it actually. I think that is reasonable.
The issue is .. it's just rarely used by people. I mean it's been about year or so for me since I started posting fairly frequently and only have gotten 5 rep and 1 negative rep, having posted 1336 times.

With how little it's used i'm sort of surprised some of you are even able to maintain the rep enough to keep it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. Hmm. This is a tough one to think about, and a tough one to talk about as a currently gold name person, but I hope my thoughts on it are valuable. First, I view the rep system, myself, as something to mark out really special posts. I give it out pretty rarely (I want to say I give out 1 a month on average) and I'm looking for a post where someone has said something really helpful, provided some new insight, or really contributed some expertise that others may not have. I also, unfortunately, don't have the time to read every thread, so I'm limited by what I actually see and I'm sure I've missed a few good ones.

First, want to say thanks for the well thought out post and will trying and give you my perspective a bit on what you have said.
I agree with you here. I do believe rep should only be given for really good above average posts. However, as I have pointed out ... it's not done that way and I have found it to be extremely inconsistent. Also, with how little people use it .. it's more based on luck that someone who does use it happens to see your post and gives you rep. This can also mean it can have a lot to do with popularity as well. If you are heavily liked by someone .. that someone may give you rep more often than they may give to others.

The reason that I treat rep like that is that I think of it as a system to acknowledge people for contributing in a way that I really want to see more. I know how I've felt when I got rep for some good posts, and it's really encouraging. I think it sucks that there's a reverse side where people like Brabbit feel discouraged that they haven't received rep even if they've made good posts. But I think that on balance it might be worthwhile having that negative aspect of it in exchange for the effectiveness of encouraging people when they're being really helpful. And, I mean, I'd like to think that I'd help people to the best of my ability no matter what sort of system were in place, but I also know that I get a little smile when I see a post I've made has received a positive rep and is highlighted at the top of the site. It's pretty hard to say that feeling good has no effect on my desire, either conscious or subconscious, to come hang out on ADISC.

I don't believe the negatives out weight the positives here because of it was actually working as intended we would see more people using the rep system to begin with and be seeing those who contribute actually being bumped up to a different title. However, I can't even think of one person who has been bumped up to a new titles since I been here. I am sure at least a couple have but ... it's not enough to be noticeable.

The other things I see is, people with gold names don't necessarily post all that much better than with people with none gold names. Like I haven't noticed much of a difference in quality of posts. Like if it worked the way it was intended ... you would think I would see anyone and everyone with a gold name always writing amazing posts and crap ... but I don't. It's just the same sort of posts almost anyone would make from my perspective.

Then another issue is just by reaching gold ... just the gold name may entice people to rep you more because of it.

lol sorry if i'm sloppy in my writing, it's a bit hard to explain sometimes for me.

Now in no way am I saying those with TC don't deserve. I am more saying along the lines I believe more people deserve it than what is currently being seen.

The other thing about the rep system is that there are some aspects of it that aren't entirely fair, but again I'm not sure the downside of that unfairness outweighs the advantages of it. What I mean is that rep on this site, from my experience over the past few years, is typically given for a particular tone of posts that focus on dispute resolution, balancing arguments, and providing a balanced overall perspective. Posts that are well-written but take a controversial side usually don't get rep, and posts that are absolutely 100% correct but are written using casual, crude, or inflammatory language almost never get rep. And I say that's unfair because some of those posts probably have been really helpful for people and might have deserved rep. But, that unfairness is balanced by the fact that the system encourages speaking in a certain style that does help support a lot of different people and discourages rhetoric that can sometimes unintentionally upset some people. And that's a good thing.

So, I dunno, I'm perfectly open to tweaking it, but most of what I've read in this thread makes me think that it's working about as intended.

Yes, that was another one of my concerns and again .. I don't think the positives out weigh the negatives. Yes, you may sort of entice people to try and behave a very particular way, but that is like saying we are not allowed to be ourselves.

Since this is a support community it seem counter intuitive to make people feel like they are shunned for being the way they are, rather than trying to understand you force them to be the way you want them to be. I can't see how that is a good thing, and it honestly while may help some people it makes other people feel terrible. I don't think any system that throws some people under the bus so a few can reach the top is a good system.

M

Marka

Well, we might need a campaign for repping then, if we get a good amount of activity on it... we can see how the numbers average out after a while... we've had quite a few new people come aboard, who may not even be aware of the reputation system... though, it flies counter to my modesty... it might well improve the turn-out if rep was shown under the username in posts again... I don't remember why it was taken off before...

MarchinBunny

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
Well, we might need a campaign for repping then, if we get a good amount of activity on it... we can see how the numbers average out after a while... we've had quite a few new people come aboard, who may not even be aware of the reputation system... though, it flies counter to my modesty... it might well improve the turn-out if rep was shown under the username in posts again... I don't remember why it was taken off before...

Ya .. as I said to Cottontail .. I think just actually showing it would help people realize the system exists to begin with and to use it more often.
I don't think any of the rules for it necessarily need to change, although I do sort of wish rep was given even to people with well thought out good but controversial posts, but hey can't always have everything. XD

BabyDenise

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
I don't use the rep system. I have never given a rep and I don't think I have ever gotten one.

On the other hand, I rarely look at a person's designation or to put it another way, I don't care if your an EC, DC, TC or whathaveyou.

So I don't care about the rep system at all. I couldn't care less if it was completely scraped.

To me, if you are trying to get rep points, your missing the point of ADSIC - to give honest answers and to discuss topics of interest. If you are on ADISC to get a specific designation, then again, your missing the point. You shouldn't be on ADSIC to score a designation or more points.

The bottom line is that I will continue to post my comments on ADISC in the same manner I have in the past with or without the rep system.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
My problem is that my post have not been that frequent lately other then Greeting.

There again (out of context but the jest) I have been told that my post are repetitious of the same information.

There again over the last 3 plus years I have seen the thread topic cycle about 6 times. So yes my post are repetitious but the audience changes about every 5-7 months.

The other thing is that I have gotten a blind eye to the adult baby and diaper talk forum for that very reason. It is the same threads with a different name over and over again. And I personally can only take "I shit myself at X place" or bragging about how long someone has gone with the same used diaper so many times.

Then again the quality of the OP in mature topics also is a flag to me any more about the direction the thread is going to head. And again the holidays are coming up so we are due for the Biblical discussion about giving up your childish ways.

Plus I have also noticed that the EC+ forums are not that busy and I hesitate to post on the general forums because (much to my shock) the post and or threads can be googled.

So I am rambling. But I do agree with the OP view of I have gotten upset because I have not gotten rep and someone else that said the same thing did get rep after my post. I have also done a few test and am very strong in my thoughts that it was only a few people that have rep me and because they are not on line that often any more is why my level has dropped and may drop again soon.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I think the rep system here is going the way of the dinosaurs. From what I've seen, no one is really using it and I expect to lose my gold letters along with some others. To be honest, we could all flood one another with positive rep but we don't, probably because we no longer care about it. If that's the case, why have it? My observation is that it's highly subjective. I've seen the majority of excellent posts go un-repped, and I've seen some of the simplest, pointless posts get positive rep. It doesn't seem to serve the purpose in which it was intended.

MarchinBunny

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
I don't use the rep system. I have never given a rep and I don't think I have ever gotten one.

On the other hand, I rarely look at a person's designation or to put it another way, I don't care if your an EC, DC, TC or whathaveyou.

So I don't care about the rep system at all. I couldn't care less if it was completely scraped.

To me, if you are trying to get rep points, your missing the point of ADSIC - to give honest answers and to discuss topics of interest. If you are on ADISC to get a specific designation, then again, your missing the point. You shouldn't be on ADSIC to score a designation or more points.

The bottom line is that I will continue to post my comments on ADISC in the same manner I have in the past with or without the rep system.

Oh right of course, I am not overly concerned with gaining rep, that I would no longer post like I normally do. That should be entirely obvious by now as show by my post count.
I am mainly discussing it cause it still bothers me regardless.

My problem is that my post have not been that frequent lately other then Greeting.

There again (out of context but the jest) I have been told that my post are repetitious of the same information.

There again over the last 3 plus years I have seen the thread topic cycle about 6 times. So yes my post are repetitious but the audience changes about every 5-7 months.

The other thing is that I have gotten a blind eye to the adult baby and diaper talk forum for that very reason. It is the same threads with a different name over and over again. And I personally can only take "I shit myself at X place" or bragging about how long someone has gone with the same used diaper so many times.

Then again the quality of the OP in mature topics also is a flag to me any more about the direction the thread is going to head. And again the holidays are coming up so we are due for the Biblical discussion about giving up your childish ways.

Plus I have also noticed that the EC+ forums are not that busy and I hesitate to post on the general forums because (much to my shock) the post and or threads can be googled.

So I am rambling. But I do agree with the OP view of I have gotten upset because I have not gotten rep and someone else that said the same thing did get rep after my post. I have also done a few test and am very strong in my thoughts that it was only a few people that have rep me and because they are not on line that often any more is why my level has dropped and may drop again soon.

Thank you for your input egor =^.^=.

I think the rep system here is going the way of the dinosaurs. From what I've seen, no one is really using it and I expect to lose my gold letters along with some others. To be honest, we could all flood one another with positive rep but we don't, probably because we no longer care about it. If that's the case, why have it? My observation is that it's highly subjective. I've seen the majority of excellent posts go un-repped, and I've seen some of the simplest, pointless posts get positive rep. It doesn't seem to serve the purpose in which it was intended.

I agree, it's what I have noticed too. If they decided to discontinue it, I actually think that would be better than trying to improve it. But if they still want to do a rep system of some sort, I do think it needs some work. Some TLC.

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I'm with you on this. From what I have observed, the "rep" system works as a "good old boys" club. It is given not so much for insightful or helpful replies as much as the perception of a helpful reply, which has everything to do with who is posting.

I try my best to ignore the whole system.

M

Maxx

Agreed on this. I don't expect to ever make TC simply because I often represent Devil's Advocate and conservative positions that aren't popular with a mostly liberal audience, and I'm fine with that. I do award rep points now and then for well thought out and articulated posts.

Generally speaking, I don't like the concept of watering down measurements or handing out awards just to make people feel good about themselves. Since rep isn't visible unless you go looking for it, its possible that a lot of people forget about it, and it may not be used as much as it should or could be. That said, when I see a gold name, I can't think of any instances where I disagree with that ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.