Renting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
I'm thinking of renting a laptop since my last one died and don't have big $$$ yet, reason being is, I'll rather sit outside all day than in this room.

$30 a month, isn't too bad, anything I should watch out for? Actually now that I think of it, I could just get a cheap second hand netbook, and install lubuntu on it.

Last edited:
when renting anything, its important especially if your finances are already strained, NOT to be late/miss a payment.

rental companies make most of their money off of such cases and are unforgiving.

I would recommend buying something second hand if you NEED a new laptop, not sure if you have a smart phone, but if you do, you might consider holding off on the laptop and making due with the smart phone.

Again i really dont know the situation, just throwing my opinion out there

I've never understood renting equipment, furniture, etc. If you rent the same laptop for even just two years- at $30/month- that equals paying out $720. Except you say you don't have much, money to spare....

Seriously you'd be better off just getting a small loan from your bank and buying a decent laptop for $200 and save yourself that extra $520. You will spend much less overall, and your monthly payments will likely be about the same any ways. Best part of all, after your done paying off the loan you don't have to keep paying on the laptop like you would with renting it.

You could also buy one and pay for it via monthly payments. You will pay a percentage in interest, but it will eventually be paid off and then it will be all yours.

Be sure to find out if there will be anything to pay at the end, some rental/lease to own type contracts have a baloon that must be paid at the end of the term as the monthly repayments may not payout the loan entirely leaving some of the principal to be paid as a lump sum at the end.
A thing i always find out (whenever loaning $ or entering any contracts even phone contracts) is can you pay it out before the end of the agreed term without any penalty?
Leasing a laptop has advantages like upgrading to newer models, and replacements when accidents happen, and should it ever need to be sent back to manufacturer for repairs you get a similar unit to use in the meantime.
And if its leased/rented for work you can often claim this back at tax time (which may be worth looking into as that could be handy for you with the program thing youre making if you end up marketing/selling it)

I gave it some thought, I'm gonna buy some crappy netbook, run lubuntu on it, and than tunnel into my pc with it ;)

Yeah, don't rent a laptop or any computer. Save money for one or pay for one by smaller payments.

You should consider possibly financing some type of computer instead of renting one. #1 You'll own it. #2 You can improve your credit.

Have you thought about going to a public library during the day and using theirs? It also has the added benefit of air conditioning.

Shybug said:
I'm thinking of renting a laptop since my last one died and don't have big $$$ yet, reason being is, I'll rather sit outside all day than in this room.

$30 a month, isn't too bad, anything I should watch out for? Actually now that I think of it, I could just get a cheap second hand netbook, and install lubuntu on it.

30 sounds a bit much, also I'd be a bit iffy about renting a laptop (Putting personal info on something that goes back to someone at some point, that could bite you later)

rennecfox said:
30 sounds a bit much, also I'd be a bit iffy about renting a laptop (Putting personal info on something that goes back to someone at some point, that could bite you later)

I've decided against renting a laptop, that being said the likely hood anyone could retrieve anything on the laptop once I get it is very slim, keep in mind I fully encrypt my personal computer, and wipe zeros to my drives whenever I need to get rid of my hard drives. Than I get a hammer and smash up the drive ;)

Though I'm not too sure about ones with SSDs in it, because of trim.

Shybug said:
I've decided against renting a laptop, that being said the likely hood anyone could retrieve anything on the laptop once I get it is very slim, keep in mind I fully encrypt my personal computer, and wipe zeros to my drives whenever I need to get rid of my hard drives. Than I get a hammer and smash up the drive ;)

Though I'm not too sure about ones with SSDs in it, because of trim.
that might not have went over well with a rental return XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back