Remove smell from plastic sippy cups/baby bottles?

Elmo

Elmo Loves You ❤️
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
This morning, I decided to have black coffee in my sippy cup. Big mistake. The cup now has a lingering, but strong smell of coffee. I can smell it whenever I drink from the sippy cup. Any tips to remove the smell?

P.S. It's one of those sippy cups with the silicone spout.

Reactions: medfet878

blaincorrous

All Puns Intended
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
I’m seeing a method with baking soda and vinegar. I haven’t tried it myself, but looks like it’s worth a try.

And I’d suggest dedicating a container to coffee if you can.

Reactions: medfet878 and Elmo

Nowididit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
You can try bleach. 1 tablespoon bleach to 1 gallon of water. This is the food service sanitizer solution mix. Can also be used in the home.

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Pop in to your local pharmacy and look for Milton sterilising tablets.

This is a sterilising solution specifically designed for use on baby items and can be used on just about anything except wood or metal.

It is a type of bleach so it can mute colours on fabric or cloth items and you don't want to drink it or splash it near your face however the Milton website says that because it is designed to be baby safe, things like bottle, cups, paci's, plastic cutlery etc. Don't actually need to be rinsed off before using them. Though I always give them a rinse just to be sure.

You drop one teblet into a bowl of water (about 4-5 litres) and put "baby" stuff you want cleaned into it and leave for about 15 minutes, it will kill off 99.9% of all germs on the items and will generally remove smells from things too (like left over coffee smell) it does however have it's own scent (smells like a mild bleach) which will linger around for a bit, though with a good rinse that is lessened to a point it is almost unnoticable.

Excellent stuff for cleaning bottles and teats if like me you don't always get to wash them out soon after having a bottle of milk and it's getting a bit grim.

Elmo

Elmo Loves You ❤️
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
blaincorrous said:
I’m seeing a method with baking soda and vinegar. I haven’t tried it myself, but looks like it’s worth a try.

And I’d suggest dedicating a container to coffee if you can.
Thanks, I'm going to try this tonight! I'll let you know how it goes in the morning

Reactions: medfet878

Elmo

Elmo Loves You ❤️
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Update: the smell is gone!