Remembering to use the toilet before bed

Pokogirl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I'm a bedwetter and I always forget to use the toilet before bed. I've seen that going to toilet before bed greatly reduces the amount I wet at night.
What are some ways you remember to go pee before going to bed?

I've been using pullups at night. And sometimes they leak if I fail to change middle of the night. Most leaks happen when I skip going to the toilet or forget to put on a fresh change before bed.

I can solve this issue with wearing more absorbent tape diapers but I'd rather save money using the toilets if I can. What do you suggest?

Reactions: Diprs2, uknappygirl and Angelapinks
I would say keep doing what you are doing. Maybe set an alarm for just before you goto sleep and use the potty.
I personally wear and use diapers 24\7 due to being ic since birth. So any real advice I could give you may not be good advice.

Reactions: Diprs2
I use the bathroom before I take a shower and use it again before I put my diaper or pullup on before I get dressed for bed

Reactions: Diprs2 and littledub1955
I used to be a bedwetter and even to this day still occasionally have incidents. Personally I find going right before I goto sleep useful but going a hour or two before works too. What else? Well this might sound stupid easy but if u wakup with the need to go to the bathroom. Then go! Almsot all the incidents I’ve had since my bed wetting days ended was because I ignored the need to pee.
Another thing that works for me and idk why is literally just telling yourself not to go. Or mentally msking yourself think you can’t.
I used to do this when I’d goto summer camp and OH MY GOD. Idk if it was bc I told myself not to or if my bladder was being shy but I’d usslly goto the bathroom at 3 pm then leave for the (overnight) camp and literally wouldn’t be able to go again till the next morning.. like my body would just force me to hold it.
As idk why or how that happens idk if that’s even useful.

But the other 2 are definitely useful. Really just always listen to your bodies signals. Your body knows more then your mind does!

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks and littledub1955
My reply may seem weird but before I became incontinent having a child with autism I’d put a note on the bathroom vanity don’t forget to pee and also on her dresser mirror. It helped remind her to pee before bed. I still have it there today not only for her sake but it helps remind me to st least try to go before going to bed

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks, littledub1955 and 1 other person
jasonm03 said:
My reply may seem weird but before I became incontinent having a child with autism I’d put a note on the bathroom vanity don’t forget to pee and also on her dresser mirror. It helped remind her to pee before bed. I still have it there today not only for her sake but it helps remind me to st least try to go before going to bed
I think I can actually vouch for your reply. I am a boy with autism and back when I was a bedwetter that type of thing 100% helped me a lot. Looking back it’s just so easy to forget that you need to goto the bathroom and frankly it also helps you remember for the future.

CheshireCat said:
Really??!? You don't have a bedtime routine... brush your teeth, use the toilet, change into sleep attire? You can remember to don a pull-up, but not remember to use the toilet? This thread is seriously suspect. I encourage others not to respond.
I'm sorry but not everyone is lucky enough to have a fixed sleeping schedule. Also, Please read the second paragraph again.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, littledub1955 and disabledinconben
jasonm03 said:
This seems like a good idea. But I'd have to put the message in codes to avoid embarrassing situations.

I was also a bedwetter as a kid. My parents used to have me set an alarm for midnight to go to the bathroom and I had to wake them up to tell them that I was up, sometimes my pullups or diapers would be wet by then and I had to change them before I went back to sleep. You might try a bedwetter alarm to tell you that you are wetting your pullups.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why there's an issue. I don't have anything approaching a regular sleep schedule, but I have gotten in the habit of brushing and flossing my teeth, and I never forget to take my bedtime meds. It's just a matter of forming a habit.

If you're having difficulty forming the habit, you could try putting a note on your pillow when you make the bed in the morning. I don't know about you, but I plug my cell phone in on my night stand (another habit that I never seem to miss doing), so if it were me I could put the note on the nightstand under my phone when I get into bed, and seeing it in the morning under my phone would remind me to put it back on my pillow.

As far as putting it in code, it doesn't have to say anything specific - it could be as simple as "Do that thing you need to remember to do." The point is to remind yourself to think about it until it becomes a habit to think about it, and any note (even a blank piece of paper that you find on your pillow) will remind you to start that thought process and do your bedtime routine, which includes using the toilet.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Angelapinks
Always leave your bedtime Nappy on the top of the toilet so when you go looking for it it is sat on the toilet, you might find that a bit of a memory jogger.

Reactions: Diprs2, Pokogirl and TheGrimmRetails
Hi, I am obsessed with not wetting the bed! While I’m fortunate enough to be able to wear a best quality diaper to bed, I am still very nervous about a leaky accident. Fortunately I have not had one yet. Still, because of my nervousness over bedwetting I wear a pull up diaper cover now to bed every night now. There arer several kinds, and I am sure all are all leak proof. I have enough confidence in mine that I am now thinking about using a less expensive diaper at night. For me, saving over $350 a year. Good luck!

Reactions: Diprs2 and Andrewgdfw
StarsUwU said:
I used to be a bedwetter and even to this day still occasionally have incidents. Personally I find going right before I goto sleep useful but going a hour or two before works too. What else? Well this might sound stupid easy but if u wakup with the need to go to the bathroom. Then go! Almsot all the incidents I’ve had since my bed wetting days ended was because I ignored the need to pee.
Another thing that works for me and idk why is literally just telling yourself not to go. Or mentally msking yourself think you can’t.
I used to do this when I’d goto summer camp and OH MY GOD. Idk if it was bc I told myself not to or if my bladder was being shy but I’d usslly goto the bathroom at 3 pm then leave for the (overnight) camp and literally wouldn’t be able to go again till the next morning.. like my body would just force me to hold it.
As idk why or how that happens idk if that’s even useful.

But the other 2 are definitely useful. Really just always listen to your bodies signals. Your body knows more then your mind does!
I've been going to the bathroom before I go to bed and if I wake up during the night needing to pee I've been going to the bathroom then too. I've been doing this for a long time now but I do have nights occasionally when I don't wake up but it's rare whenever I do. I think that it has a lot to do with me purposely staying in a wet diaper every Saturday from the time I get up until I take a shower about an hour before bedtime. Maybe I get my fill ( no pun intended ) of being in a soaked diaper for a while by doing that. All I know is that my bed wetting nights are almost non-existent since I started doing that.

Reactions: Diprs2 and EvilNeuro
Set an alarm in your mobile phone. If it isn't enough, set two (one for notification, the other for checking you've gone). Trust me, you won't forget going to the toilet.

Still do. Although sometimes have an accident... what mill is your current pull up?

Last edited:
Pokogirl said:
I'm a bedwetter and I always forget to use the toilet before bed. I've seen that going to toilet before bed greatly reduces the amount I wet at night.

I've been using pullups at night. And sometimes they leak if I fail to change middle of the night. Most leaks happen when I skip going to the toilet or forget to put on a fresh change before bed.

I can solve this issue with wearing more absorbent tape diapers but I'd rather save money using the toilets if I can. What do you suggest?
I have the same issue than you if I skip going to the toilet before bed. I Wear Tena pull ups at night and might be leaky in that case.
But it's quite easy to remember. I make no exception, even to lounge in my bed during the day. If I want to lay in my bed, I need to go try to pee before. And check/replace the protection. By the way, don't trust your pad / day protection to be lying down. Even for a small nap 😓

On the subject of bedweeting
Do you guys replace your protection if you wake up in the middle of the night and feel the it's wet ?
I do because otherwise I can't go back to sleep. Not only a matter of confort. My brain keeps telling me that I might leak if I wet again. Or get skin issues, UTI's...
It's a shame because I would like to be able To get a full night of sleep. And not fully waking up and deal with protections, wipes, trying To void in the toilets. Even more frustrating when you are not alone at home and you disturb them...

Kellycares said:
Hi, I am obsessed with not wetting the bed! While I’m fortunate enough to be able to wear a best quality diaper to bed, I am still very nervous about a leaky accident. Fortunately I have not had one yet. Still, because of my nervousness over bedwetting I wear a pull up diaper cover now to bed every night now. There arer several kinds, and I am sure all are all leak proof. I have enough confidence in mine that I am now thinking about using a less expensive diaper at night. For me, saving over $350 a year. Good luck!
Which brand is the cover? Is it disposable or reusable?

I always sit on the loo when brushing my teeth, before bedtime. don’t know why, but besides running water which triggers my bladder, brushing my teeth does the same thing.
doing this doesn’t mean I’m not wetting in bed, but it gives me confidence, that I’m doing what I can to limit my bedwettin…

Pokogirl said:

What works for me is brushing my teeth before bed. The minute the water runs and I start to brush, I need to pee real bad and barely have time to finish brushing before it comes. I always need to wear a night time tape on diaper because once I fall asleep I am out like a rock and only wake in the morning when I start to feel uncomfortable in a soaking wet diaper. I always wear rubber pants mostly but do have some snug fitting plastic pants that I can trust not to leak before I wake. No matter whether I go to bed at Midnight or 2 AM, I still wake about 7 AM in a soaking wet diaper.

DreamerBen said:
I have the same issue than you if I skip going to the toilet before bed. I Wear Tena pull ups at night and might be leaky in that case.
But it's quite easy to remember. I make no exception, even to lounge in my bed during the day. If I want to lay in my bed, I need to go try to pee before. And check/replace the protection. By the way, don't trust your pad / day protection to be lying down. Even for a small nap 😓

On the subject of bedweeting
Do you guys replace your protection if you wake up in the middle of the night and feel the it's wet ?
I do because otherwise I can't go back to sleep. Not only a matter of confort. My brain keeps telling me that I might leak if I wet again. Or get skin issues, UTI's...
It's a shame because I would like to be able To get a full night of sleep. And not fully waking up and deal with protections, wipes, trying To void in the toilets. Even more frustrating when you are not alone at home and you disturb them...
Depends on just how wet I am, if I wake up. I usually sleep in thicker diapers to make sure I don’t need a change in the middle of the night.
I also always try and empty my bladder before going to bed. Though at nights when I have been socializing, sometimes with alcohol too, I tend to wet more.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Angelapinks
Back