rectal thermometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

care_a_lot

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Back when I was really little if you wanted to take a baby's temperature you would take it rectally. It was the safest way. Parents would use mercury thermometers as that was what was around at the time and would have it in there for quite a while to make sure that it was the right one. Does anyone know where you can lay your hands on one nowadays?

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I don't believe mercury thermometers are available any more...but rectal thermometers can be purchased in most pharmacies...if not with the rest of the thermometers (you have to look closely to see if it says rectal or oral)...try in the baby care aisle.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Mercury thermometers are still available, but it's no better than using an alcohol thermometer. I don't know where you'd be able to get either though, as they're mostly digital now. The most accurate temperature you can get is from the ear, so it'd be best to get one of those ear ones like they have at the hospitals if you can get one. Unless you get off on havin one up ur butt, then yeah, I dunno lol...

care_a_lot

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Wouldn't the alarm kinda bug ya though if you have the digital one? I don't really know what I'd feel never tried it before. :D

Role
Diaper Lover
Maybe you should stick to women?

Had to say it, sorry, you set it up perfectly.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
(you have to look closely to see if it says rectal or oral)...try in the baby care aisle.
There is a visual difference. I believe the rectal ones have a more rounded, blunt bulb whereas oral ones have a bit longer slender bulb. The rectal ones can also be used under the arm by adding 1 deg. F. to the reading.

Ayanna, this brings up a good side question. Do any countries use a celsius thermometer for body temperature readings?

~Pramrider

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
We use Celsius here; it'd be kinda silly not to when everything else is :)

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Isn't mercury highly poisonous?
Why would you want to insert something containing highly poisonous substances into your body?

Why not stick with a much safer digital thermometer instead?

Silikon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Isn't mercury highly poisonous?
Why would you want to insert something containing highly poisonous substances into your body?

Why not stick with a much safer digital thermometer instead?
Exactly. The slightest movements can cause the thermometer to break and you can get mercury poisoning. There's no cure and it's a slow and painful death.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
Wikipedia article on Mercury (element) said:
Mercury and most of its compounds are extremely toxic and are generally handled with care; in cases of spills involving mercury (such as from certain thermometers or fluorescent light bulbs) specific cleaning procedures are used to avoid toxic exposure. It can be inhaled and absorbed through the skin and mucous membranes, so containers of mercury are securely sealed to avoid spills and evaporation. Heating of mercury, or compounds of mercury that may decompose when heated, is always carried out with adequate ventilation in order to avoid exposure to mercury vapor. The most toxic forms of mercury are its organic compounds, such as dimethylmercury and methylmercury.
Glass breaks easily. Mercury can kill. I have no idea why it was used in thermometers in the first place, and with alcohol and digital thermometers, why it's STILL used.

EDIT: An important note about fluorescent lights. They contain mercury vapour, if broken, you could be poisoned.

Reading this article wouldn't be a bad idea, either...

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
There is a visual difference. I believe the rectal ones have a more rounded, blunt bulb whereas oral ones have a bit longer slender bulb. The rectal ones can also be used under the arm by adding 1 deg. F. to the reading.

Ayanna, this brings up a good side question. Do any countries use a celsius thermometer for body temperature readings?

~Pramrider
When I said 'look closely' I meant to look at the packaging...it will state "rectal thermometer" on the packaging.

And yes, I believe pretty much every country in the world uses celsius thermometers for body temperature readings (37C is 'normal'). I expect, as usual, the US is one of the few that does not. I do know you can buy both F and C thermometers in Canada (some older people just refuse to change even tho' it's been nearly 40 years since Canada went metric)...or thermometers which give both readings. Either way, if you go to a medical clinic/hospital/etc here in Canada your temperature will be recorded in celsius.

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
mercury takes more accurate readings, and it's fatal in large doses... at least the kind in the thermometer.

haven't you guys dipped a finger in a mercury vat?

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I've never put my finger in it. I have picked up a bottle of mercury that was being passed around in science class at school for us to look at, it was a small bottle, only around 100mL and it was so heavy!

care_a_lot

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I've heard mercury could be dangerous but had no idea it was this bad! No wonder they ripped it off the shelves so fast. Just as a side note Australia takes celcius temperatures too. I think its more common now. I was amazed that one of the few countries using farenheit still is the states! I would have figured they would have been the first to move forwards into a better system if there was one. And here's a question for those who think farenheit is the better system...if it is then how come most countries now go by celcius?

Role
Diaper Lover
I've heard that we are the only country, and that we are 1 of 3.

Fahrenheit > Celsius

More degrees, easier to understand.

The only way to switch is to kill everyone from previous generations and then teach metric, I refuse to go metric, if it was my choice or my vote, I would refuse. Yes it doesn't seem to make sense, but its a very large change.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
The only way to switch is to kill everyone from previous generations and then teach metric, I refuse to go metric, if it was my choice or my vote, I would refuse. Yes it doesn't seem to make sense, but its a very large change.
Ummm...Canada changed to metric in 1972. They just gradually changed everything....first everything was in Imperial/Metric measures then the Imperial measures were gradually phased out. But in 1972 Imperial measures were erased from the school system (with the exception of history, of course) and metric took it's place. How do I know this for a fact? Well, because I was in grade four at the time, and I rather liked this new fangled stuff!

Old stuff

16 ounces in a pound, 2000 pounds in a ton
8 ounces in a cup, 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon
16 (or 32) parts of an inch, 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 1760 yards in a mile

Don't even get me started on bushels and pecks and furlongs!

Metric stuff

1000 grams in a kilogram, 1000 kilograms in a (metric) ton
1000 millilitres in a litre
10 millimetres in a centimetre,100 centimetres in a metre, 1000 metres in a kilometre

It's sooooo much easier! It's a base of 10...how could it be any easier? You can count it on your fingers! :p

I didn't have the opportunity to vote since I was only 9 years old when Canada made the switch, but I would definitely have voted for metric!

Note: Even now, some of the 'older folk' still measure in miles/pounds/cups/fahrenheit...but they have conformed. Although I know some who instead of saying they want a 2 litre bottle of pop will say a 'big bottle' or something similar LOL

Then again, my mum told me about recipes that she got from my great-grandmother that went something like this:

A handful of sugar, 2 handfuls of flour, 2 eggs...3 if the hens are laying well, cup of milk...but use cream if the cow's giving lots of milk...

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Ummm...Canada changed to metric in 1972. They just gradually changed everything....first everything was in Imperial/Metric measures then the Imperial measures were gradually phased out.
Ayanna, they were telling us the same was eventually going to happen in the US back in the '50s when I was in elementary school. That eventuality still hasn't happened except for machinery or similar products made for export where the end user is on the metric system. Some of the upgraded equipment purchased for our plant from other countries in recent years has metric sizes of bolts, nuts, metal tubing, etc. So, we're kind of stuck in between systems still. I don't think I'll ever see a complete phaseout of the English measurement system in the US in my lifetime despite what my grade school teachers told me. I'd really be surprised if I did!

~Pramrider

Silikon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've heard that we are the only country, and that we are 1 of 3.

Fahrenheit > Celsius

More degrees, easier to understand.

This is exactly why we haven't changed because there's too many people out there that don't realize we'll fall behind the rest of the world if we refuse to change to metric. We tried in the 70s and people were to ignorant to comply.

Do you know HOW fahrenheit was created? A guy (probably drunk) with the last name Fahrenheit froze water and said "that's 32" and boiled it and said "that's 212". Yeah that make perfect sense. Celcius freezes at 0 and boils at 100. Simple to understand. All you have to do to switch is just know what means what, like 5 C would be winter clothes, and 35 C would be summer clothes. In between, like 16 C would be light jacket and jeans...around 65 F. You don't even have to know the literal F->C translation, just keep those in mind.

Same with km and mi. Just keep in mind 50 km is about 20 mi. This is why we didn't succeed last time because we tried so hard to teach everyone a literal, mathematical switch. Now we're the only country IN THE WORLD still using F and mi.

Hell, at least we have one highway in the US (I-19) that uses km. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.