Suggestion Reactions to posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianGal

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Is there a way to add a reaction to a post we have read? Not everything I read in forum needs my reply. But I sometimes would like to leave a little smile, to let the person know I liked their post.

chamberpot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
I know what you mean , a like button or something would be a great feature ...

Chamberpot liked this message.

LstNwf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Something like that would be neat to see but I dunno if it would be something implementable.

I am not familiar with the grid work of the forums on this site, but I know there were ones at one point in time that you could customize with things like that. It wasn't anything overly straight forward though. I remember many less pleasant words being tossed in my computer's general direction when I changed something because the simplest little thing could stop everything from working.

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I think that you can use "neutral rep" for this purpose, just to leave private feedback.

CanadianGal

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
OHHHHHH!!! Adding to reputation!! Thanks so much. I will do that from now on.

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
OHHHHHH!!! Adding to reputation!! Thanks so much. I will do that from now on.

Glad I could help. ^.^ You should probably read the ADISC Rep Guide on giving positive / negative rep -- generally a justification is required. But my understanding is that neutral rep exists for just the purpose you were asking about, giving feedback to the poster without necessarily joining in the thread (anonymously too, unless you sign it).

CanadianGal

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I thought that the reputation thingys where something that the admins gave. I had no idea that others could use them as well.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Couldn't leave a smiley emoji? That's pretty simple.

CanadianGal

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
@Dogboy I would think that comments that are nothing but a smiley emoji would be considered spam. People get banned for spamming.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Setting aside the question of whether such a thing could be done with the vBulletin software: I really like the idea of a lighter-weight "like" or "react" feature. Rep has a different purpose, and neutral rep requires far too much work to be used in place of "like." You actually have to type something! An anonymous "react" feature might be an interesting and more effective replacement for the concept of negative rep, too. Negative rep has basically been moderated into oblivion. Having a quick way to leave a "this was distasteful" stamp on something might give the drama-prone folks a much-needed hint.

BabyDenise

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
Couldn't leave a smiley emoji? That's pretty simple.

But not as simply as clicking a like button.

@Dogboy I would think that comments that are nothing but a smiley emoji would be considered spam. People get banned for spamming.

I wouldn't think so as long as you don't do it a lot.

I thought that the reputation thingys where something that the admins gave. I had no idea that others could use them as well.

There is another thread in this forum on reputation - some people like it and some don't. I won't get into any detail as you can read that thread yourself.

Here is the thread: https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/104304-Rep-System-yes-again

Last edited:

PlotTwist

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I've been wishing that we had something a lot like what's described in this thread for quite some time, and today finally decided I should make a post about it - only to see it's already been done!

I did a bit of research, and it seems like there's plenty of add-ons to facilitate at least a "like" functionality. This one in particular says it takes "one minute, max" to install: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=231666

rennecfox

I'm done...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I find it ironic how people asking for this don't even use the rep system already in place (it lets you share your thoughts positive or negative or neutral) and instead want another bloated php app frankenstiched onto the message board. Why is another feature no one will likely use needed? You complain its too much work, its 10 seconds it takes to click the star, pic helpful, neutral or unhelpful and say why and hit add to reputation to send, vs what would at least take moo a couple of hours to do and possibly require board down time to enact. It also wouldn't necessarily be any easier to use.

I can almost guarantee you moo doesn't want to write anymore scripts to add this functionality when he has already said he is planning to get rid of things like rep, journals and groups at some point. As a former message board admin I can tell you, these types of mods require going into the board code, going into theme code and in some cases require going in and playing with tables in in the sql database. Best of all, half the time they break something else.

Last edited:

PlotTwist

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I didn't realize this was such a hotly debated topic that I'd get a response filled with so much vitriol and nastiness when I originally posted. The points I was trying to make are:

A) People *are* likely to use it, the fact this thread exists is proof of that people already want it, and every other social media platform has it implemented - people are used to it. I'm not saying we need a Facebook-style interface with 6 or more different reactions to choose, as well as seasonal limited-time ones. A simple "like" or "thanks" would suffice, which brings me to my next point.

B) The use case of feedback has very little overlap with what this thread suggests. Feedback allows you to type a message (or not) that is then sent to a moderator, the moderator views it, approves or denies it, then it is added to the post. The functionality we are calling for only requires the user do one mouse click - it does not require time nor any thought other than "yes, I agree with this post". I believe that positive feedback should be reserved for truly great posts, and I have given (and received) it for posts worthy of this. As far as using neutral feedback for a "like" function, wouldn't this create much more work for the feedback moderators?

C) I'm not saying that adding a new feature is always totally plug-and-play, customizations and adjustments will always need to be made, but the fact remains there are many off-the-shelf modules made specifically for this bulletin board's platform, all of which have been created, installed, tested, and supported by scores of other forum administrators world wide. The hour(s) spent by the administrator shouldn't be compared to the time it would take for each individual user to do an action, but instead thought of in the increased engagement of this forum's community. In addition, I don't really appreciate words being put into the mouth of our forum admin, if they're too busy or just not interested in investing the time, they can say so themselves (or not, and just leave the thread untouched).

Lastly, I, too, have run forums, as well as much larger projects. I'm aware of what goes into it. I, too, have a long and storied history of experience with things outside of this forum. We don't often bring our societal labels here, as well we shouldn't, it's a support forum for one specific collection of things. Don't fall into the trap of believing that your higher post count on one specific forum allows you to run about like it's your own private fiefdom.

Be nice.

rennecfox

I'm done...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I didn't realize this was such a hotly debated topic that I'd get a response filled with so much vitriol and nastiness when I originally posted. The points I was trying to make are:
I'm Just pointing out that people are ignorant if they think this is just something moo can click to turn it on.

A) People *are* likely to use it, the fact this thread exists is proof of that people already want it, and every other social media platform has it implemented - people are used to it. I'm not saying we need a Facebook-style interface with 6 or more different reactions to choose, as well as seasonal limited-time ones. A simple "like" or "thanks" would suffice, which brings me to my next point.

People tend to tack on to what sounds good in the spur of the moment when they are ignorant to the sacrifices and work involved, the "little red hen friend syndrome" as I call it.

It's your belief people will use it.. it's mine they won't. Are you insinuating your opinion is more important?
B) The use case of feedback has very little overlap with what this thread suggests. Feedback allows you to type a message (or not) that is then sent to a moderator, the moderator views it, approves or denies it, then it is added to the post. The functionality we are calling for only requires the user do one mouse click - it does not require time nor any thought other than "yes, I agree with this post". I believe that positive feedback should be reserved for truly great posts, and I have given (and received) it for posts worthy of this. As far as using neutral feedback for a "like" function, wouldn't this create much more work for the feedback moderators?

Perhaps if people used feedback moderators would be more active with it. Do you have a link to this mod that is being called for and a walk-trough guide for the admin staff to follow?

C) I'm not saying that adding a new feature is always totally plug-and-play, customizations and adjustments will always need to be made, but the fact remains there are many off-the-shelf modules made specifically for this bulletin board's platform, all of which have been created, installed, tested, and supported by scores of other forum administrators world wide. The hour(s) spent by the administrator shouldn't be compared to the time it would take for each individual user to do an action, but instead thought of in the increased engagement of this forum's community. In addition, I don't really appreciate words being put into the mouth of our forum admin, if they're too busy or just not interested in investing the time, they can say so themselves (or not, and just leave the thread untouched).

You have one in mind that you plan to advertise here? I'm sure moo would be more likely to consider this with a ready made solution.

Lastly, I, too, have run forums, as well as much larger projects. I'm aware of what goes into it. I, too, have a long and storied history of experience with things outside of this forum.

And you have installed this particular mod first hand and can vouch how simple to install it would be?

We don't often bring our societal labels here, as well we shouldn't, it's a support forum for one specific collection of things. Don't fall into the trap of believing that your higher post count on one specific forum allows you to run about like it's your own private fiefdom.

Wow, you with the 5 dollar word. I'd hardly call standing up for the people opposed to this like button trying to make this my own board. I expressed a view and stated why. You reply here seems more an effort to intimidate me into being quiet. People disagree in forum suggestions all the time here.

Take you own advice the next time you decide to take something as volatile because it disagrees with your own agenda and you feel the need to pull out your soap box to lecture people about disagreeing with a majority in a thread. My reply was meant to make the ignorant aware (ignorant, as in unaware that this isn't just a couple of tabs moo toggles and it works). Your resulting reply was not helpful reply for anyone here. Remember we are individuals, we can have our own opinions, you don't have to like it, but as I'm not saying anything against the boards rules, so I can express it, no?

My final thought, personally, you don't have to agree, we don't need a new system, we need to fix how the current system is handled or do away with the currently depreciated class system as it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.