JAY DILLA
Tribe called quest
lot of other artists
with only a few greatsongs

Thallis

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I don't really see why people like rap. It's never struck me as talent to hear people reading rhymes quickly.

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't really see why people like rap. It's never struck me as talent to hear people reading rhymes quickly.
I don't really see why people like rock. It's never struck me as talent to hear people plucking strings quickly.

I don't really see why people like electronica. It's never struck me as talent to hear people pressing buttons quickly.

Role
I don't really see why people like rock. It's never struck me as talent to hear people plucking strings quickly.

I don't really see why people like electronica. It's never struck me as talent to hear people pressing buttons quickly.
Touche
Yet, anyone can speak quickly yet i'd like to see anyone play hendrix.....

LilRabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur, Sissy, Incontinent, Carer
I love how all someone needs to do is mention something that they like, and then it immediately starts an uncomfortable situation.

Anyway... I like BOTH Rock AND Rap.

HUGE fan of Eminem, Kanye West, and T.I., and Lil Wayne.

Thallis

Est. Contributor
Role
QFI. Seriously, that is not a smart assertion. Lets see you try to play the guitar/drums/bass. Then get other people to join you, and make songs that blend the three with vocals. Then come talk to me.

There actually is one rapper I like: Lupe Fiasco.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
C'mon guys, lets not turn this into a "[type of music] SUCKS!" discussion.

I like rap, but I also like some rock as well, country can be alright, as well as pop. I like diversity, so I generally don't listen to just one type of music, I listen to a lot of them.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I have no rap in my iTunes, and so it shall remain. My stash is mostly synthpop, 80's, college radio, etc.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I love rap, and rock, they are both good.

As to the speaking fast rhymes, its not just that. It is staying on topic, rhyming, going fast, staying on beat, and most of all coming up with it off the top of their head. Called freestyle if you do not know. I never seen any vocalist (outside of rap) or guitarist, or bassist, or drummer, or any instrument player be able to come up with a entire song off the top of their head. So yes rapping is a talent.

Some of my favorite rappers include Eminem, Jedi Mind Tricks, Aseop Rock, Lil Wayne, Dr. Dre, Three 6 Mafia, Rick Ross, Paul Wall, Bun B, Obie Trice, Clipse, and Beastie Boys.

Those are all artists I commonly listen to, there are some others I enjoy too, but those are the ones I enjoy the most.

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
QFI. Seriously, that is not a smart assertion. Lets see you try to play the guitar/drums/bass. Then get other people to join you, and make songs that blend the three with vocals. Then come talk to me.
I think you've missed the point. People always like to rubbish rap by saying how it's just 'guys talking quickly', so I was doing the same for other genres, showing how silly statements like that actually are.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I think you've missed the point. I was being sarcastic, trying to show how silly it is to dismiss an entire musical genre like that.
Agreed it was silly/foolish, thus why I showed how and why it is talent to rap.

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I hate rap, but I do enjoy Hip-Hop to some extent. The hip-hop I like is the underground chill/acid/lounge hip-hop that doesn't always have any vocals. The 'Mushroom Jazz' series of albums is great example of it. Golden Nectar
Here's a great song called 'Golden Nectar' by J Boogie.

Thallis

Est. Contributor
Role
For the record, most rappers don't freestyle.

Oh, and it should be considered a crime that 2Pac has yet to be mentioned.

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I hate rap, but I do enjoy Hip-Hop to some extent. The hip-hop I like is the underground chill/acid/lounge hip-hop that doesn't always have any vocals. The 'Mushroom Jazz' series of albums is great example of it. Golden Nectar
Here's a great song called 'Golden Nectar' by J Boogie.
thats the genre in looking for

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
For the record, most rappers don't freestyle.

Oh, and it should be considered a crime that 2Pac has yet to be mentioned.
How do you know they don't freestyle, you don't listen to them?

Well it is true that some rap and hip hop artists do not freestyle and those are ones that I do not listen to. If you take a look at my list, all of those people freestyle, well I am not sure, maybe not beastie boys, but they could. Either way these are all good artists....

Some of my favorite rappers include Eminem, Jedi Mind Tricks, Aseop Rock, Lil Wayne, Dr. Dre, Three 6 Mafia, Rick Ross, Paul Wall, Bun B, Obie Trice, Clipse, and Beastie Boys.
Artists that do not free style would be like Bow wow, Chingy, Nelly, and wussy rappers like such. Oh yeah I did forget to mention another hip hop artist I really enjoy is ludacris, who also freestyles.

Also yeah 2pac created a huge movement in rap, but I do not like him or his music much. For one he raped some woman and was in jail for that for a while. Also I just do not like his style, he really makes more r&b songs than anything else and I do not like that. I have his greatest hits album which has 25 songs and only about 6 of them are actual rap.

X

xdeadx

I like all music, besides death metal and screamo and such. I don't listen to much... New Rap... but I Do like old school and hip hop

~~~~~~~~~~~ON A SIDE NOTE LET"S NOT START FLAMING OKAY?~~~~~~~~~~~

The artists I do listen to are

T.I.
Kanye West
Eminem(a little not alot, not a big fan)
Chris Brown
Bow Wow
DMX
E-40
Nelly
Chamillionaire

And older school

Bel Biv Devoe
Run DMC
Beastie Boys
Outkast
House of Pain

Aidy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Carer
Wait Jag. That's just stupid. "I've never listened to something in my life and I've formed an opinion of it." Don't form an uneducated opinion and stand by it. You are likely to look stupid throughout your life if you do that. Experience something and learn about it then form an opinion. If you can't be stuffed it's much better to say, "I don't know enough about it so can't really say if it's good or not." Kind of like the people who say Islam is evil without knowing anything about it.

Ok. People who hate rap hate it for a reason. The radio. The radio is full of absolute filth that people dare to call rap and hip hop. Rap and hip hop is the stuff that never makes the radio. Things that have real meaning for the artist and isn't created to be sold.
I'll go over a few examples. If you are in anyway willing to learn you'll listen to this.
2pac - Dear Mama (A song thanking his mum for raising him even though he was a dick head. This is one of my mums favourite songs.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcloTmvTeA
Eminem - When I'm Gone
Eminem - Mockingbird
Eminem - Hailie's Song
Three songs written for his daughter(s) which are just beautiful. When I'm gone is extremely good at showing his realisation at how important his daughters are.

Hilltop Hoods - Stopping All Stations (Hiphop about a murder on a train from 3 different perspectives, criminal, bystand, and victim, and how pointless crime is... from ex-crims)
Hilltop Hoods - Audience with the Devil

Scribe - Remember (About friends and not abandoning them and domestic violence in the Maori New Zealand)
Scribe has become crap now that he's writing music for the record labels instead of himself.
Phrase - Hold On (About all the suffering in young people and how no-one is helping them. Stopping youth suicide. Annoying whingey voice but good song/lyrics)

and the one that you are most likely to like
Coolio - Gangsters Paradise (About being stuck in the loop of crime and trying to get out and warning others away from it... written for the movie "Dangerous Minds")

Also, what's hard about spitting rhymes extremely fast? Umm... writing them. And it's very hard to talk that fast clearly. There are lots of great musicians out there who can play their instruments, such as Santana, and have become famous for their ability to play. It takes a real genius to create a song that stands out from the millions of crap songs out there.
Being good at using an instrument/tool is not what makes something good.Who do you think will be remembered more? John Butler, who is the worlds best 12 string guitarist and who most of you have never heard of (one of my personal heroes) or John Lennon, who played simple music that had deep meaning?
This all applies to rap as well. Rap comes and goes but the great artists will live on past all the crap that's ever on the radio. A real artist doesn't need to be on the radio to have a sell out crowd. Tool, a band that has never been played on Australian radio, held the record for the fastest sellout in Australia (until Iron Maiden claimed it) because they are great artists. Not players. ARTISTS!

Before you go and say rap is crap. Look at the meaning behind it. What rap is truly about. Not the music, the lyrics.
Note, my favourite artists in music go
Tool
Cat Stevens
Eminem
Elton John
John Butler

but my favourite rappers go

Eminem
Tupac
Hilltop Hoods
Scribe
Phrase

(I don't really listen to US hip hop or rap so I don't know many of your artists)
I also find it funny that NATORIUS hasn't been mentioned even though he got voted, by other rappers, as the most influential rapper of the generation. I personally don't like his music.

Last edited:

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
For some reason I'm like, "I listen to lots of rap!" but I don't. The rappers I have are:

Eminem (absolutely amazing)
Fort Minor (eargasm)
Jay-Z (Dunno. It's alright. He worked with Linkin Park omg!)

Status
Not open for further replies.