Random symbology question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Actually, I don't think this is technically symbology, but I can't think of the right term. Anyway, I'm basically just asking if anyone knows what/if this symbol means anything:

It came from an issue of Grant Morrison's comic The Invisibles. I thought it was cool, but I've wondered ever since then if it was something he, or the artist, made up, or if it is an actual symbol from some religion or something. So I thought I'd see if anyone here happened to know.

FairestandFallen

Contributor
Role
, Carer
I've never seen it before.
It looks a tad too complex to be a religious symbol- they tend to be simplistic.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Kind of reminds me of a symbol that Aleister Crowley and Thelema used & uses if you only look at the shapes at the end of the symbol(if that makes any sense, I have a hard time trying to explain it)

heres a picture of it

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
I don't know what that is/ means(if it means anything), but it looks cool. If you colorized it it would look awesome.

In fact...

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
My theory is that ... well, it can stand for anything, depending upon the context in which it was used, or the mindset of the viewer and reader interpreting it! Symbols (both visually and literally), as I see it, are intended to have more than just one specific meaning, anyway. :)

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Kind of reminds me of a symbol that Aleister Crowley and Thelema used & uses if you only look at the shapes at the end of the symbol(if that makes any sense, I have a hard time trying to explain it)

heres a picture of it
Looking at Crowley's Wikipedia page, and then this one from there, I think you might be right. It certainly makes sense in terms of the story, and the character who saw that symbol. Thanks!

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Many religions have an esoteric tradition - where one must be initiated into mysteries to understand hidden meanings of scripture, rites, or symbols. ("Esoteric" has other meanings when speaking of religion, but that's off-off topic.) Crowley is one example; Masonry is another. So I would say that seeing the Star of David in your symbol
is valid. BTW here is the Bahai 9-pointed star symbol

Hans

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Paul Smecker: Symbology? Now that Duffy has relinquished his "King Bonehead" crown, I see we have an heir to the throne! I'm sure the word you were looking for was "symbolism." What is the ssss-himbolism there?

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer
Its a symbol that goes on for ever, i think they are called fractals

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I don't know what that is/ means(if it means anything), but it looks cool. If you colorized it it would look awesome.

In fact...
I dont remember what it stood for but in the link Elizabeth posted wikipedia had this.

The unicursal hexagram is used to express a high level of self-confidence and belief that one can achieve the highest of goals and become a divine figure.

Aleister Crowley's adaptation of the unicursal hexagram placed a five petaled rose, (symbolizing the divine) in the center; the symbol as a whole making eleven (five petals of the rose plus six points of the hexagram), the number of divine union.

It is also used in the Greek and Hindu mythologies. as a symbol of dedication to the divine rulers.

A unicursal hexagram is also seen as a symbol of the solar system in some Pagan philosophies, with the central intersection representing the sun and the outer intersections and points representing the celestial bodies.

so there you have some interpretations. but I think it can also represent Crowley's life Philosophy wich is Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will Wich basicly means that you should do what ever it takes to achieve your dreams. Some thinks it means that you should do whatever you feel like at the moment but that is wrong actually.

Glad I could be to your help! :D

Also Raccon I must say that the Bahai 9-pointed star symbol really reminds me some of the symbol for chaos magick!

ever seen that one?

I used to be really intressted in the occult and some black magic when I was about 14-16 years old thats why I know so much, I suppose I was going through a phase. But still I have some intresse in Crowley just because he was so crazy. But I really like the idea of trying to achieve your life ambition!

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Not 100% sure here, but it appears like a Buddhist Mandala (Not sure on the spelling, excuse me.)

Basically, it means a patterened geometric drawing that can be used as a focus point in meditation. There's more than one of them, so I might be wrong and this symbol does in fact stand for somehting else.
:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.