Rainfurrest 2016 Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattew

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
For those that haven't heard the news, Rainfurrest has been canceled. Just a reminder to be on your best behavior at conventions.

I'll be including the link for my source. You can also read this on the official Rainfurrest website.

Washington state furry convention RainFurrest 2016 has been cancelled, after failing to find a suitable venue for this year's event.

Historically based in Seattle, RainFurrest's former chair posted a strong warning last October that the acts of some of the 2704 attendees had jeopardized the convention's relationship with the Hilton airport hotel, resulting in uncertainty about future events.

Convention staff had previously posted apologizing for not giving more feedback, discussing rumors about a move to Spokane, and noting the board's decision to discuss contracts there. Last month saw posts about travel, hotels and recreation, and, on January 30, the opening of registration and the announcement that RainFurrest's parent organization was now a 501(c)(3) non-profit. All these posts have now been removed from the convention's website.

As many of you know, RainFurrest has been in search of a new venue since October of last year. We have discussed and explored facilities in many wonderful areas, finding options with a number of excellent venues in Greater Seattle and western Washington state. Our hard-working hotel team has fought for every possible option that would suit what our fans want out of RainFurrest. Tonight, the last of those options has closed to us.

It is our sombre duty to inform you that our efforts to locate a viable convention and hotel space for 2016 have not been successful. We do not feel any additional options will present themselves in time to successfully plan and hold the event. As a result, the Rainfurrest Anthropomorphics International’s Board of Directors has voted to not host Rainfurrest in 2016.

We appreciate your support through a very challenging transition, and we extend a sincere thanks to everyone, especially our staff, who devoted their time, effort, and thoughts to us. We will continue to work on future locations and dates and we will return when we know the situation is right for our fans.

We will be issuing further details regarding refunds and other remaining issues in the near future. Please wait for more details before contacting us about this. If you have any questions or comments about the decision, please email [email protected] or ask on their new twitter feed, @RAInAnthro.

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to seeing you all in the near future!

Source:
https://www.flayrah.com/6429/rainfurrest-2016-cancelled-after-failure-find-venue

https://www.rainfurrest.org/2016/

They may have to move date and to camp ground.
+ 18 rule to have event.

That might work. Not sure. Might be gone like Oklacon. Oklacon was the largest outdoor furry con. It was really close to where I live. I never got the chance to go. They had to close this past year. The State park they had it in, wouldn't allow them back...a couple of drunks the year before ruined things for everyone...they switched to a different park...word followed about the incident...they were turned away at the new park before the con happened.

foxkits said:
They may have to move date and to camp ground.
+ 18 rule to have event.

An outdoor venue at any time of year isn't a good idea in the Seattle area. Our weather is simply too unreliable and rain and fursuits are no fun.

I expect it or something new will be back next year. The timeframes are just too tight to schedule an event of that size in a new spot.

Hopefully they will do something next year. But yeah, I forgot about Seattle's weather for an outdoor event.

I was always told that Rainfurrest had the biggest ab / DL / cub / diaperfur population, & that TFF had the second. I was always hoping to visit Rainfurrest & see.

I wonder if another venue could be found in Tacoma or even Puyallup?

Maybe they'll be able to find something for 2017.

They're a large and well-established con. Not hosting it for a single year is not going to spell the death of them, not like it would for a fledgling, new con with low attendance.

Part of the issue with finding a new venue was reputation, yes, but it was also a lack of time due to that reputation. They've just given themselves an extra year to let tempers settle and transgressions be forgotten, so I suspect we'll see RF back in full force in 2017.

Hopefully with better-behaved con attendees.

As they say on the internets "This is why we can't have nice things" :(

I hope the people who messed up feel ashamed! I have friends who host BIG conventions in my home country, and it's no easy task! And then some yahoos ruin it for everyone..!

Cons need to bring the ban hammer down on this shit. Here is a list of DO NOTS and this is your only warning, if you are stupid enough to go out in just a diaper...WHAM BAM BANNED! overdone bondage gear BAN! No more of this, it is a family friendly con.

FauxPas said:
Cons need to bring the ban hammer down on this shit. Here is a list of DO NOTS and this is your only warning, if you are stupid enough to go out in just a diaper...WHAM BAM BANNED! overdone bondage gear BAN! No more of this, it is a family friendly con.

Very much agreed. I was really upset to learn that it was just a couple of people that made it impossible for Oklacon to continue. I'm not sure why there's people that don't know how to act and behave.

FauxPas said:

While this is a problem, it isn't why RF lost their venue. The excessive property damage was.

Draugr said:
While this is a problem, it isn't why RF lost their venue. The excessive property damage was.

If you are stupid enough to damage property...WHAM BAM BANNED!

Draugr said:

Whoa :I People who damage stuff are really the dumbest. The "It's not mine, so I can just break it!" mentality not only ruins things for them, but everyone else around.

Also, I know of some BDSM happenings where people walk honest-to-god naked, but the happenings still.. well.. happen :')! They are only for people over 18 years old, too and the people attending have good track record of not being stupid and irresponsible.

TyphaHare said:
Whoa :I People who damage stuff are really the dumbest. The "It's not mine, so I can just break it!" mentality not only ruins things for them, but everyone else around.

Also, I know of some BDSM happenings where people walk honest-to-god naked, but the happenings still.. well.. happen :')! They are only for people over 18 years old, too and the people attending have good track record of not being stupid and irresponsible.

Yeah, and from what I hear, it was far beyond typical damage you might expect from a large convention - y'know, normal wear and tear stuff or maybe dents in the walls from genuine accidents (although maybe alchohol-fueled :p).

There was a lot of stuff that couldn't be anything but deliberate - towels stuffed in the vents of the hot tub causing damage to that, someone deliberately flooded their room from what I hear, and evidently there was some damage done to the elevator (I did not hear any details on that).

Unless a lot of people's behavior is getting really out of control and the con staff isn't handling it (walking around in fetish gear/diapers), I don't see that really getting under a venue's skin and revoking a contract - damage that is EXTREMELY above and beyond general wear and tear.

There's this falsehood spreading around that RF was cancelled due to babyfurs, and I just wanted to nip that rumor in the bud before it got started here. Some babyfurs/diaperfurs can be really fucking obnoxious, and there WAS some of that going on, but it had nothing to do with why RF2016 got cancelled.

RyanTylerDL said:
If you are stupid enough to damage property...WHAM BAM BANNED!

I don't know about this con in particular, but most cons are really good about kicking out trouble makers. That's basically "keep a con from devolving into a complete shitshow 101". The problem is, once the damage is done, it's done... and "don't worry, we banned the guys who pushed the planeter off the balcony" doesn't really calm a hotel manager much when they've still got a tree laying in their lobby...

That's too bad, I really wanted to go to RF :(

The real kicker was the under age drinking some were transported to hospital alcohol poisoning parents threatened to sue the motel.
Plus the damage that was it.
Was told a while back they been black balled buy all the motel's.
I'm also not far away from Oklahoma con the State Parks Commission is religious and did not like furries so was looking for a reason to ban them.
They did every thing right about the incident and reported the incident like they were supposed to and they still got banned.
Sadly only takes a few to end a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back