Race riots in the US

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
I'm just seeing news coverage of the spreading vandalism and police violence across the US as a result of the white police officer who recently appeared to murder a black man on camera.

There were shots of gangs of eight-or-so police officers beating individuals with batons... a journalist being deliberately and repeatedly shot at by police... protestors in Atlanta throwing bricks at the CNN office... and elsewhere setting cars alight.

What's going on? Why was CNN attacked? Why are the police using such extreme violence against journalists and protestors?

-------

I read this magazine article recently, which gave pause for some challenging thought...

And this gave a bit more background:

Yet, amazingly Trump has continued to Tweet inflammatory remarks, carefully calculated to be racist enough to incite violence and racist support of the president, but subtle enough for Trump to pretend that he's just an idiot of a stable genius who didn't know what he was talking about.

(Much like the time that he Tweeted his support for Britain First, an extreme right-wing fascist organisation... And then pretended that he didn't know who they were.)

Will anything come of the protests? Will there be an inquiry into institutionalised police racism, as there was in the UK a while back?

A few months ago, a black jogger was shot in the back by white gunmen... Despite knowing who the killers were, the police didn't even arrest them until 71 days after the video of the killing gained widespread media attention.

So violent racism seems to be a major issue in policing. But... is there any real hope that some good will come of this...? Are the police listening? Are politicians listening?

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I'm just seeing news coverage of the spreading vandalism and police violence across the US as a result of the white police officer who recently appeared to murder a black man on camera.

There were shots of gangs of eight-or-so police officers beating individuals with batons... a journalist being deliberately and repeatedly shot at by police... protestors in Atlanta throwing bricks at the CNN office... and elsewhere setting cars alight.

What's going on? Why was CNN attacked? Why are the police using such extreme violence against journalists and protestors?

-------

I read this magazine article recently, which gave pause for some challenging thought...

And this gave a bit more background:

Yet, amazingly Trump has continued to Tweet inflammatory remarks, carefully calculated to be racist enough to incite violence and racist support of the president, but subtle enough for Trump to pretend that he's just an idiot of a stable genius who didn't know what he was talking about.

(Much like the time that he Tweeted his support for Britain First, an extreme right-wing fascist organisation... And then pretended that he didn't know who they were.)

Will anything come of the protests? Will there be an inquiry into institutionalised police racism, as there was in the UK a while back?

A few months ago, a black jogger was shot in the back by white gunmen... Despite knowing who the killers were, the police didn't even arrest them until 71 days after the video of the killing gained widespread media attention.

So violent racism seems to be a major issue in policing. But... is there any real hope that some good will come of this...? Are the police listening? Are politicians listening?
Tiny , I doubt it as most black Americans live on or near the poverty line an as such the politicians don't want to know as they don't have money

Blathers

Check your privilege lovelies <3
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I do not have those answers, I think no one does at this point in time, I can say though that as an ally to witness that video ...made me crumble..
To be silent is to breed violence, the systematic racism that POC, especially black people are confronted everyday with breaks my heart, imagine what it must be like for black people in America to witness these horrific murders.
its like people are saying
"racism isn't getting worse, its being filmed", to be a black person in America is to have a target on your back. I hope that one day some resolution will be brought forth, but the way things are looking now I dunno. To even fake any optimism might be a huge disservice
I may not be black, but I see you, I may not be black, but I hear you, I may not be black, but I stand with you <3
Black lives matter
stay safe <3 everyone <3

Last edited:

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
"racism isn't getting worse, its being filmed"
Yeah... It's quite incredible to see. It's like white police officers think (or "know") that they can do whatever they like to black people and get away with it most of the time.

To be silent is to breed violence, the systematic racism that POC, especially black people are confronted everyday with breaks my heart, imagine what it must be like for black people in America to witness these horrific murders.
Quite. It's heart-breaking enough as a white person in England to hear about such affronts to justice, freedom and democracy.

I was coming-of-age when I started getting interested in social affairs, and saw Rodney King being violently and criminally assaulted by police. I couldn't believe that something like that could happen. I can vividly remember the footage... It was a real eye-opener to the "big bad world" out there that children are oblivious to...

(P.S. Does POC mean "people of colour", i.e. non-whites? :-/)

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Of all the things I don't understand about this news, this has me really puzzled:

There were... protestors in Atlanta throwing bricks at the CNN office... Why was CNN attacked?
Does anyone know?

Blathers

Check your privilege lovelies <3
Est. Contributor
Role
Yeah... It's quite incredible to see. It's like white police officers think (or "know") that they can do whatever they like to black people and get away with it most of the time.

Quite. It's heart-breaking enough as a white person in England to hear about such affronts to justice, freedom and democracy.

I was coming-of-age when I started getting interested in social affairs, and saw Rodney King being violently and criminally assaulted by police. I couldn't believe that something like that could happen. I can vividly remember the footage... It was a real eye-opener to the "big bad world" out there that children are oblivious to...

(P.S. Does POC mean "people of colour", i.e. non-whites? :-/)
Yes POC means people of color :D

And oh for sure, I was not born around the time Rodney King was the victim of horrible police brutality, at the hands of the LAPD, I think its goes to show that Black voices need to be heard, they are continuing to be silenced...even after 20 plus years. Video just seems to still not cut it, its sad we live in a world where black people fear so much for there safety in america they have to film every encounter with a police officer.

Also I have heard about the brick throwing incident but haven't looked much into it, been mostly looking into the videos of cops acting out as protesters and vandalizing places...yes cops are doing this to undermine the protest of George Floyd ...its fucking sick.
One cop was twerking and slapping her ass at the protesters and mocking them.

This talk of "peaceful protest" is all BS, when black people do take a knee the entire world shits a brick...

BLM

Last edited:

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Our nation was founded in violence and slavery. We had a lot of help from Europe both in the slave trade and the tyranny of kingdoms, inbred monarchs making violent decisions. Should anyone be surprised that violence continues today? The U. S. has perpetuated the cycle of racism, poverty and violence. Our president has further fanned the flames by his racist rhetoric using Twitter as his platform.

I also think there's enough fault to go around to fall on everyone's shoulders. That said, there still are a lot of people who care greatly and work to end the cycle of poverty because poverty and inequality is at the root of this. We need to do a better job in choosing our political leaders but we also need to do a better job in being better people.

My mom had 101 expressions that she'd use on me when I did something wrong and it would bug me no end, but when I grew up I realized how true those expressions were. The one I remember most is "do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

SissyatHeart

Est. Contributor
Role
Yes POC means people of color :D

And oh for sure, I was not born around the time Rodney King was the victim of horrible police brutality, at the hands of the LAPD, I think its goes to show that Black voices need to be heard, they are continuing to be silenced...even after 20 plus years. Video just seems to still not cut it, its sad we live in a world where black people fear so much for there safety in america they have to film every encounter with a police officer.

Also I have heard about the brick throwing incident but haven't looked much into it, been mostly looking into the videos of cops acting out as protesters and vandalizing places...yes cops are doing this to undermine the protest of George Floyd ...its fucking sick.
One cop was twerking and slapping her ass at the protesters and mocking them.

This talk of "peaceful protest" is all BS, when black people do take a knee the entire world shits a brick...

BLM
Do you have videos to prove this? I haven't seen anything of this sort. What I have seen is "protestors" destroying the very communities they live in. Cities have been burned, stored have been looted, people have been killed, rocks and knives have been thrown at officers.

I don't think stealing a plasma TV for personal gain really shows the country that you're protesting. Mostly what it shows is that your a violent, opportunistic thug.

What happened to Floyd was tragic and wrong. Nobody with common sense disagrees with that. But where's the outrage for the white guy shot by two black police officers in Chicago. The man was unarmed and resisited arrest. He was tazed and then attempted to flee. A black female officer shot him once. He continued to run, trying to flee up an escalator. The black woman chased him up the escalator and then shot him a second time. It was clear police brutality but you never heard it on the news because he was white.

There was another case back in 2017, I believe, where a white man was killed by cops in a similar manner that Floyd was. Officer had his knee in the man's neck. Again, no anger because the man was white.

What happened to Floyd was wrong on every level, but that doesn't mean it was racist. Just because the cop was white and the victim was black doesn't mean the cop was racist. The cop is being charged appropriately for what happened and yet people continue to protest with signs saying "no justice, no peace". Justice is taking its course, it will take time, destroying cities and looting is not the answer.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Unfortunately Violent Protests/Rioting (and inevitably unrelated Looting in the Chaos) seems like the natural conclusion when Society allows Cops to do whatever they want; including outright Murder with 0 Accountability

There is way too much of that going on for Decades that almost always results in full Acquittal of Charges, even when it's pretty clear that its actually Murder that didn't have to happen and there were plenty of Alternatives ways to handle the situation

Most Cops are just an Jerk with a Badge, and then you have the ones that just let these things happen and do nothing about it; which means they may as well be directly involved because they are allowing it to keep happening through Inaction

Last edited:

SissyatHeart

Est. Contributor
Role
Unfortunately Violent Protests/Rioting (and inevitably unrelated Looting in the Chaos) seems like the natural conclusion when Society allows Cops to do whatever they want; including outright Murder with 0 Accountability

There is way too much of that going on for Decades that almost always results in full Acquittal of Charges, even when it's pretty clear that its actually Murder that didn't have to happen and there were plenty of Alternatives ways to handle the situation

Most Cops are just an Jerk with a Badge, and then you have the ones that just these things happen and do nothing about it; which means they may as well be directly involved because they are allowing it to keep happening through Inaction
I understand that, but these people are literally destroying their own backyard. It's stupid. That would be like something evil and wrong happening in your neighborhood and destroying your neighborhood in protest. Like congratulations, you really proved your point by destroying your own home.

I'm also curious about the private autopsy that was performed today because the one done by the local coroner indicated that he wasn't killed by the officer. It will be interesting to see if the second autopsy confirms this or says something else. If it does confirm the original finding then all of this rioting and looting has literally happened because a man had a heart attack. if not, then maybe it has a purpose. Either way, I don't agree with the rioting and looting going on. Stop destroying the very place you live in. Go burn and loot a yacht club. A TV or new mattress won't avenge the death of Floyd.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
It's not all black people that are wrecking buildings, it's is white supremacists using the incident to cause trouble and to loot and wreck buildings. They did the same when Trump won the election and when there were protests.

Also even Jo Ann Hardesty did a speech about the riots that took place here in Portland last night and because of the incident at night, there is now a curfew.

SissyatHeart

Est. Contributor
Role
This is some of the coverage I was referring to (see the video in the report):

I know that's happening, I was referring to Blathers who noted that she believed there were videos indicating that the looters and rioters are actually cops in disguise trying to undermine the Floyd protests. It sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

Calico also just posted the same thing essentially. Where is the proof? If you have proof then I will agree with you, but it just sounds like a consiracy.

"Oh, the protestors aren't actually violent, they're all peaceful, it's actually the cops and white supremacists that are rioting and looting and burning the cities." This is not true based on what I've seen happen across ALL news channels.

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little

Most Cops are just an Jerk with a Badge, and then you have the ones that just these things happen and do nothing about it; which means they may as well be directly involved because they are allowing it to keep happening through Inaction
Am I naive in hoping that, still, the majority of the police would uphold justice...? How rotten is the justice system for black Americans? The profiteering bond system certainly seems to favour the white middle-classes, resulting in the needless incarceration of the poor.

I remember as a white kid in a tolerant British society, hearing NWA's "Fuck The Police" and thinking it was just musicians trying to be "edgy" and sensationalist. It felt liberating to stick two fingers up to authority and use rude words. I didn't realise that racism was still a real issue at all... :-/ Ah, to be young and naive...

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I understand that, but these people are literally destroying their own backyard. It's stupid. That would be like something evil and wrong happening in your neighborhood and destroying your neighborhood in protest. Like congratulations, you really proved your point by destroying your own home.

I'm also curious about the private autopsy that was performed today because the one done by the local coroner indicated that he wasn't killed by the officer. It will be interesting to see if the second autopsy confirms this or says something else. If it does confirm the original finding then all of this rioting and looting has literally happened because a man had a heart attack. if not, then maybe it has a purpose. Either way, I don't agree with the rioting and looting going on. Stop destroying the very place you live in. Go burn and loot a yacht club. A TV or new mattress won't avenge the death of Floyd.
The point is simply to show the people in charge that

1. They dont actually have as much power as they think, you cant kill everyone or there would be no citizens left

2. To show that people are just fed up with the way things have been going and they want major reform; even at the cost of destroying local Businesses

Which For The Record; most of the people doing the Rioting wont have a personal stake in and buildings and businesses can be Rebuilt

It forces people to Pay attention and at least on some level listen and find out why it got to that point

Am I naive in hoping that, still, the majority of the police would uphold justice...? How rotten is the justice system for black Americans? The profiteering bond system certainly seems to favour the white middle-classes, resulting in the needless incarceration of the poor.

I remember as a white kid in a tolerant British society, hearing NWA's "Fuck The Police" and thinking it was just musicians trying to be "edgy" and sensationalist. It felt liberating to stick two fingers up to authority and use rude words. I didn't realise that racism was still a real issue at all... :-/ Ah, to be young and naive...
There are very few cops that seem to actually uphold justice or to even attempt to do it; not to mention Enforcing all laws whether they are Just or UnJust and not actually caring if a Law is UnJust they will uphold it all the same

After cops get arrested and formally charged, you still need a Guilty verdict to make it stick

And all it takes is 60 days after an incident happens for a Cop to have a clean record like they didn't just kill an Innocent Man with unnecessary force roughly 2 months prior

Its sickening and it's about time they stop letting cops slide with outright Murder in cases that are 100% clear the cops were in the wrong and went Way too far

Last edited:

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
I know that's happening, I was referring to Blathers who noted that she believed there were videos indicating that the looters and rioters are actually cops in disguise trying to undermine the Floyd protests. It sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

Calico also just posted the same thing essentially. Where is the proof? If you have proof then I will agree with you, but it just sounds like a consiracy.

"Oh, the protestors aren't actually violent, they're all peaceful, it's actually the cops and white supremacists that are rioting and looting and burning the cities." This is not true based on what I've seen happen across ALL news channels.

There are plenty of sources on google to tell you, use it.

SissyatHeart

Est. Contributor
Role
Thats all I asked for.
There are plenty of sources on google to tell you, use it.

Definitely interesting and something to continue. So at this point from the evidence I've seen across the board it seems as though there is a very high likelihood that members of the alt-right are pushing the protests to a tipping point. It makes sense, they want a race war and want the black community to be seen in a negative light.

Then there are videos of actual BLM members and legitimate protestors causing violence and damage to cities. It makes you wonder what the true mix is. Like how does Minneapolis know 80 percent of the protestors aren't from the city?

BabyDavidMessiah

Make diapering great again 👍
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Personally I'm mixed on the whole idea. Owners of gas stations and liquor stores have nothing to do with it. CNN is just reporting it. I have cops in my family who are white and an older brother who's black. I'll just say it. I don't agree with looting anything and everything but, I'll be honest, that police department started a war. They're accountable for the people they hire. They deserve anything they have to deal with.