R.I.P. Ed McMahon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
"Heeeeere's Johnny!" I think that's the one phrase I'll never forget whenever Ed's name is mentioned. He managed to outlive his old Tonight Show host and live to a ripe old age of 86. Memories of Ed and Johnny Carson take me way back to my early teen years when Johnny made the switch from daytime game show host (Who Do You Trust) to the Tonight Show on NBC. I loved to stay up late at night (even though I'd be dead tired at school the next day:rolleyes:) to watch the Tonight Show, at least see the funny opening monologue.

~Pramrider

Last edited:

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Sort of like Abe Vigoda (who is, at last report, still alive), I figured Ed was already gone. Good on him for lasting this long and doubly good for him that he managed to avoid the necessity of being buried with Johnny, as one of the prominent servants of the late night pharoah. He did do some things on his own like Star Search (the also awful precursor to American Idol) and walking around with big novelty checks for the Publisher's Clearing House giveaway, but I think his first best destiny was being a solid second banana.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Since I am rather young I never saw much of him unless he was selling something on daytime TV. However I guess he did help start the late night comedy talk shows and I guess without him leno or conan wouldn't be making me laugh.

S

soren456

Ed's dead? How could they tell?

I'm stilling reeling from Robert Goulet and Merv Griffin.

Now this . . . .

A

Asher

Wow, I had no idea that he died... bummer... My dad used to have old tapes of the Tonight show when Carson was still the host, so I remember Ed quite well. Man, that's just sad...

- Asher

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
I just read about this on another news site. I was too young to watch The Tonight Show when he was on, but I've seen clips of it. For those who haven't seen, search for some Carson clips of the Tonight Show - he did that show with Johnny for 30 years!

Arlikra

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I hate hearing news that people have died, even if I have no clue who they are :(

RIP Mr McMahon.

doubledbbw

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
As a long time fan of Ed McMahon I will really miss him. Many people don't know but Ed was Marine Lt Col. Johnny used to kid him about it all the time too. So Semper Fi Ed and say Hi to Chesty Puller and my Dad for me for me.:(

closet dl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
That's one of the disappointing things about living overseas where the English-speaking channels (BBC, CNN International) don't put a lot of emphasis on the "human interest" stories - I had not heard he died. I am not one to follow the entertainment/paparazzi type of stuff, but I will remember him and his trademark intro on the Tonight Show. I always loved staying up late as a kid to watch him (it was on at 11:30 p.m. where I grew up.)

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Carer
He and Johnny had great chemistry...he really knew how to set up Carson.

That said, I'm still living in a world without George Carlin, so what's the difference? All is grey and bleak.

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
He and Johnny had great chemistry...he really knew how to set up Carson.

That said, I'm still living in a world without George Carlin, so what's the difference? All is grey and bleak.

His "Here's Johnny" intro was a sound bite that was so iconic that when Jack Nickleson used that line (with the same kind of inflection that Ed used) in the movie The Shining, it became the signature shot of that movie.

Well Ed! RIP and enjoy your next big gig.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other

Hear, hear. GC was a comedic and writing genius. I've been a huge fan of his for over half my life (and that's not including the Mr. Conductor years) and I'm still discovering new material of his. I was lucky enough to see him during his last tour though - went to see him here with my dad.

RIP Ed and RIP Georgey... what a sad time when the greats are falling.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I think the hardest part of seeing all the great entertainers die, is that a part of our past dies with them. All things change and move on. I can't help but think we are like dominoes, all waiting in line as each domino at the beginning falls, and we move up one spot. Sooner or later, we will take our turn and fall headlong into death.

Role
  1. Private
Ah, Eddie. Off the top of my head, he was featured in one of only a small handful of Weird Al Yankovic songs naming specific people.

Then again, I remember Star Search and I want those minutes of my life back--especially the minutes where the Spears girl (the one who got pregnant outside of wedlock. Oh ... no, the one who got horribly nasty looking and bloated. Oh ... ... er ... the older one.) was introduced to the world outside of Disney.

All jokes aside, thank you for a lifetime of brilliant second-banana appearances, Mr. McMahon. To follow so adeptly is an under-rated skill. In celebration of your life, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's pizza: :pizza:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
ED, your death is mostly no longer mourned due to Micheal Jackson's death. I suggest you kick his ass in the afterlife, whatever it may be. Maybe kick him in the nuts? :p

(This has been meant as a joke of sort's but it's also meant to point out that we as humans do move on for the better or worse. Also funerals are just for the living, not for the dead. It's just so the living can say goodbye really.)

Status
Not open for further replies.