Quitting smoking

matt1989

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
  4. Other
Ok so beed a smoker about the age of 14 and been a pack a day smoker basically my own whole adult life. About 2 years ago I came across some videos about pipe smoking and it turned out you don't inhale pipe tobacco. Trust me you don't want I accidentally did it a few times and it can choke me out. So I was thinking at the time I thought why not even if I don't quite I can give my lungs a chance to heal. What I didn't expect that pipe tobacco taste so much better than cigarette smoke. Cigarettes tas like crap to me. another thing it takes an hour to smoke it really a moor of a leisure Way to smoke. So I would smoke less throughout the day. I went from a pack a day to 3 bowls a day and now I have a bowl once or twice a week. I'm so close to quitting I can really believe it. I'm breath better I'm taking less breaks at work and feel more confident. If I'm being honest I'm really just bragging but I feel I deserve this one. I do feel like a have to warn anybody that thinking about doing this 1 there's a little bit of a learning curve to it. It ain't as simple as packing a pipe and smoke not hard but it will tack some practice and another is don't inhale the smoke. Giving your lungs moor smoke than a cigarette would give you and 10x the nicotine. Basically you draw into your mouth and blow out your nose that's how you get your nicotine kick. Inhaling tobacco smoke can cause more damage and if anyone could get used to inhaling pipe tobacco would be a pack a day smoker.

Last edited:
Reactions: OmiOMy, Cottontail and AliB
Hi and good morning ☀️ 🙂. I smoked for a long time (most of my adult life) and tried quitting in so many ways. I’ve been quit for almost a decade and would never go back to it. Pipe smoking is still smoking. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeke and Cottontail
Yeah but considering I went from a pack a day smoker to only having a bowl once or twice a week. I think I'm heading to the right direction.

Reactions: OmiOMy and AliB
Yes.You should keep up the good work!

Congrats on reducing your use!

I was a pack a day smoker for most of my 20s and about half of my 30s. I use to try using pipe tobacco to cut down, but it never worked for me (like you say, it takes practice and I was always impatient). I finally swapped cigarettes for a vape and was able to reduce my nicotine intake using that. Eventually I was able to quit completely. I've been smoke free for 4 years now. Can recommend.

Reactions: RachelOlivia
I used patches to stop, really took the edge off, after food i found it hard but other than that with the patches it was easyish.
but the patches WoW they make your dreams so real and fking mad lol
And well done for everyone that quiet, its not easy but you all know so worth it in the end.

This is the closest I've ever gotten to quit. At this point it really just me saying no when that occasional craving come in. I think it's really just finding a method that works for you on top of just finding the willpower to say I had enough. I have been focusing on my practicing with my faith and found a really nice Church but other than anonymous prayer requests I haven't really told them about my smoking. I'm just saying I do feel that change in mind the Bible talk about in Romans.

Reactions: Zeke and OmiOMy
Haha...I used to inhale pipe smoke. It took a number of tries but I was finally able to quit smoking. I did it by quitting cold turkey. I crumpled up my pack of Marlboros and never had another cigarette.

Reactions: Zeke and matt1989
I don't smoke cigarettes, I've always found them gross. I've smoked a cigar maybe once a year or two. I do enjoy hookah every so often though.

congrats if and when you do quit you can do it.

I never was a smoker and still not a smoker so I have no suggestions on how to quit or what's the best way to quit. My dad was a smoker He tried to quit several times. (He says he was practing on quitting so when that day comes he will know how to quit) That one day came he just put them down and worked hard on quitting like that all by him self with no help

Congrats on making some steps towards quitting.

Started smoking in 1994, I was 27. It was a curiosity then, plus I got a free Dave's mason-jar mug with a pack of Dave's Cigarettes attached. For years it was 2-3 cigs per day; by the time the century ended, it was 10-12 cigs daily...and stayed that way.

There were times I quit for a month or two, then went back to it; if I had the flu, it was easy to stop for the duration, smoking had no appeal then...but when it went away, back to it I went. Same pace.

Last April, I got hit with a non-COVID flu, it was worse than having COVID! Lungs struggled some, was weak, not good. I stopped smoking on Day Two (ran out anyway); when it was all over, I considered buying a pack but decided "Let's see how far this goes". It's been 9 months and a week now...and no desire to go back.

Whether y'all quit or tapered back...good job so far! Steady as she goes! 🥳🚭

Oh...I lost the mug a few years ago. 🤨🤣

Reactions: Zeke and matt1989
I quit smoking cold turkey twice. And each time I didn't regret it. I hope it's the last time ever. I've done some cigar smoking but didn't enjoy it. Keep going you can do it!!!

Reactions: Zeke, matt1989 and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
Started smoking in 1994, I was 27. It was a curiosity then, plus I got a free Dave's mason-jar mug with a pack of Dave's Cigarettes attached. For years it was 2-3 cigs per day; by the time the century ended, it was 10-12 cigs daily...and stayed that way.

There were times I quit for a month or two, then went back to it; if I had the flu, it was easy to stop for the duration, smoking had no appeal then...but when it went away, back to it I went. Same pace.

Last April, I got hit with a non-COVID flu, it was worse than having COVID! Lungs struggled some, was weak, not good. I stopped smoking on Day Two (ran out anyway); when it was all over, I considered buying a pack but decided "Let's see how far this goes". It's been 9 months and a week now...and no desire to go back.

Whether y'all quit or tapered back...good job so far! Steady as she goes! 🥳🚭

Oh...I lost the mug a few years ago. 🤨🤣
NNNOOO! Not the mug.🤣 I'm happy your doing good on your quitting wish it didn't tack you getting sick to do it.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
matt1989 said:
Yeah but considering I went from a pack a day smoker to only having a bowl once or twice a week. I think I'm heading to the right direction.

Smoking is smoking if you want to actually stop then pick up vaping 👍

Reactions: RachelOlivia
matt1989 said:
NNNOOO! Not the mug.🤣 I'm happy your doing good on your quitting wish it didn't tack you getting sick to do it.
Well, there's no easy way to quit; any circumstance which makes it that much easier should be exploited, made the most of. This one just happened along, gave me a 2-week free-ride headstart. 🥳

I quit a 3-4 pack a day habit cold turkey about 3 months after my daughter was born 37 years ago and next to having her in my life and becoming a Christian it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. Additionally when I quit I was paying a dollar a pack (and that was 2-1/2 times what they cost when I started smoking), I can’t comprehend how people can afford to smoke cigarettes today considering what they cost. Though that financial cost is minimal compared to what it costs your health, especially in your later years. I’ll get off my soapbox now (I still remember how I hated it when people would nag me about quitting), but I will say that quitting smoking is one decision that you will never regret or make too soon.

Last edited:
matt1989 said:
It’s an improvement of bad situation, but don’t lie to yourself it’s still smoking. Just ask a pipe smoker that has lip or mouth cancer.

dogboy said:
Haha...I used to inhale pipe smoke. It took a number of tries but I was finally able to quit smoking. I did it by quitting cold turkey. I crumpled up my pack of Marlboros and never had another cigarette.
Those little black all tobacco cigars, like those that Clint Eastwood smoked in those spaghettini westerns, were what got me smoking cigarettes again after having quit for 3 years. Unfortunately I inhale cigars and those expensive little all tobacco jobs, that come in tins of 12 at cigar stores, were like tearing both ends of a pack of Camel straights and smoking the whole unfiltered pack at once. People would ask to bum one and I would say “Are you going to smoke it or light it and leave it the astray?”. Ten minutes later you would see them leaning against the wall all green around the gills! It only took less than 3 months for me to be back to smoking cigarettes after running out of cigars one night. That’s when it became apparent to me that smoking is smoking, but I agree anything that you can do to reduce the amount that you smoke is a plus. I didn’t have the benefit of nicotine patches or gum or the pills that they prescribe today, but I sure would’ve taken advantage of them if they had been available to me and you might consider their assistance.

• Thinking
LittleMonsterUK said:
Smoking is smoking if you want to actually stop then pick up vaping 👍
I think vaping is just as bad. Some researchers say they may be less harmful but it's still inhaling chemicals.

Reactions: Zeke and BobbiSueEllen
Back