Color of Blood?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
What color do you think blood is in your body? Some may find this a stupid question, but answers do vary. I find it odd that people actually thing that it's blue inside of you, so which do you think it is, honestly?

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I would figure blue. I can see a few veins through my skin, and it's blue.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Sissy
No, Blood is not blue people read a science book.

The only difference in colour is light red and dark red.

Role
  1. Private
What color do you think blood is in your body? Some may find this a stupid question, but answers do vary. I find it odd that people actually thing that it's blue inside of you, so which do you think it is, honestly?

It depends on where it is.

Un-oxygenated blood is indeed very dark. I know this because I had a fountain of it coming out of my knee at one point (when I accidentally stabbed myself in the knee with a newly-sharpened pencil).

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
BLOOD IS NEVER BLUE. IT'S ALWAYS RED. Sometimes it may be a very dark red, but it is NEVER BLUE.

Straight from the mouth of my 4th grade science teacher.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
See what I mean? People are so divided on this question. Those who say blue, always say "uhm, your veins are blue, duh" (not to pick at you Abby, you just happened to say that before I typed this). The blue believers also say unoxygenated blood is blue, but how do you find that out? You'd have to cut yourself in a vacuum, and blood carries oxygen, so how can it be unoxygenated?

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Am sick of this myth too.

WikiAnswers - Is blood blue or red

Thread done

When a person donates blood, it comes from a vein, not an artery. It is also not exposed to air, or it would be contaminated and need to be disposed of. It also happens to be dark red, NOT blue.
The common misconception of "blue" blood is continued due to textbook illustrators use of blue and red to differentiate arteries and veins.

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Your blood is a rainbow O.O

No seriously I think it's red

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Other
I agree that the difference is bright red/dark red. But then, why do veins that are close to the skin sometimes look blue? o.o

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Why Veins look blue
The answer is really quite complicated. There is less red light reflected from the shallow area between the surface and the vessel than blue light because blue light is scattered more. The surrounding tissue reflects back more red.

This does not make the vessel blue, however. It only makes it look blue. The authors had to use Land's retinex model of color vision to show that the contrast between the two areas of the skin are interpreted by the brain in such a way as to make it look blue.

So ya, their blue because of light.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Every night I dialyse my wife, and trust me, all of her blood is red. It looks dark red in the lines and plastic kidney. When I take her off the machine, and saline begins to fill the lines, it turns cheery red.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Sissy
Every night I dialyse my wife, and trust me, all of her blood is red. It looks dark red in the lines and plastic kidney. When I take her off the machine, and saline begins to fill the lines, it turns cheery red.
I'm so sorry.

Role
  1. Private
See what I mean? People are so divided on this question. Those who say blue, always say "uhm, your veins are blue, duh" (not to pick at you Abby, you just happened to say that before I typed this). The blue believers also say unoxygenated blood is blue, but how do you find that out? You'd have to cut yourself in a vacuum, and blood carries oxygen, so how can it be unoxygenated?

"Un-oxygenated" in my post above was shorthand for "having delivered its oxygen payload to muscles and on the return route to the heart..."

And it was an interesting thing - very dark blood at the wound site, "normal" blood pooling on/around my foot.

Although the whole shock at seeing a pencil sticking out of my knee made the whole thing a bit surreal ... it was interesting nonetheless (and they say that D&D PnP campaigns are without bloodshed!).

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
What's with the random polls lately, Pojo?

I though the blood in my veins was blue, before preschool that is ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.