• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Question about Pronunciation

How do you pronounce "paci?"

• Pass-ee (like classy)

Votes: 74 94.9%
  • Potch-ee (like... botch)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Pass-uh (like class)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anything else. (Tell me how you pronounce it.)

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMonster

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've always wondered. Myself, I say, "potch-ee."
But I have a feeling I'm a minority.
Anyway, any thoughts on this?

E

Elli

It's short for pacifier right? I pronounce that 'pass-if-i-er'. So I would say Paci as 'pass-ee'. Having said that, in the UK, they are usually called a dummy or more recently a soother.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Top one for paci. But for the whole word, it would be more like pass-uh-fire.

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Parents I know usually either say the entire word "pacifier" when talking to a fellow adult, or use a word such as "binkie" When I am in Australia I mostly hear "smoother" and in the UK "dummy"

In my experience the only folks using "paci" either are fellow AB or people attending raves doing "E" and I do not hang with the "E" crowd.

I have only heard it pronounced as I do "pass-ee"

Ages ago, shortly before I married in October 1991, I got into what became a heated discussing with a pretentious woman about my age. She was an assistant editor of Penthouse magazine and she dared to correct my pronunciation of "infantilist" She never did explain what gave her expertise on the subject. She was holding a copy of the current DPF newsletter with several pictures of me so she had to know my connection.

For sure, the word "infantilist" never was used during my pre-law of law school classes, but by the time of this argument I knew a lot of shrinks and other medical professionals dealing with infantilism. There are at least two ways to pronounce the word and neither is less correct than the other.

The same is true for many other medical technical terms. My sister-in-law the psychiatrist says she can always tell where another physician went to med school by the way terms are pronounced.

It is not as important that we pronounce paci a certain way as that we find comfort using our pacifiers/binkies/soothers/dummies!

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I read it as "pass-ee" but I don't ever say it. In my house and family, we call it a Ninny... I don't really know why. Other than that, I call it a soother.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Hmm I never had much call to talk about them much until I came here; pacifier, dummy, soother were all used, dummy being more popular perhaps in Canada but I didn't like the term as it had too many other meanings and seemed to lack precision.

Since my usage of any such term is based here, "paci" (passee) is my default term for the object. Now for my edification, Angela, Lukie, please define exactly what "pilchers" refers to; and for that matter Mysi or others, please also define the exact use of Omutsu, Windeln, Gummihosen, Couches Culottes, and Bloja. Oh to heck with it, let's just make a new thread for non-English diaper terms.

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Carer
I say "pass-ee" and "pass-uh-fire." But that's me.

Angela, I have to ask, how did the Penthouse woman pronounce "infantilist" versus your pronunciation? I've always said it "in-fun-till-ist." I guess I never gave much thought to different pronunciations.

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've always wondered. Myself, I say, "potch-ee."
But I have a feeling I'm a minority.
Anyway, any thoughts on this?
I say "pass-ee". The "potch-ee" sounds like Italian, did you grow up in an Italian family?

I say "pass-ee" and "pass-uh-fire." But that's me.

Angela, I have to ask, how did the Penthouse woman pronounce "infantilist" versus your pronunciation? I've always said it "in-fun-till-ist." I guess I never gave much thought to different pronunciations.
I'm guessing that the two options are to place the emphasis either on the second or third syllable: in-fan-till-ist or in-fun-till-ist.

please also define the exact use of Omutsu, Windeln, Gummihosen, Couches Culottes, and Bloja
omutsu ...
windeln -- plural of German windel, diaper.
gummihosen -- plastic pants (guess, might be rubber)
couches culottes -- sleep pants (guess, my French is rusty)
bloja ...

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I pronounce it [pack-ee].
When I first joined TBDL and saw "paci" for the first time I read it as that and was quite shocked.

In the UK "pack-ee" (spelt "paki") is a racist word for Asians and is terribly un-PC. (It is to Asians what "nigger" is to black people)

I still read it as "pack-ee" now in fact as "pass-ee" sounds very unnatural, but the shock value has worn off.
Sometimes I don't pronounce it at all, when I read it there's no voice in my head; that only usually happens with words I can't pronounce (like crazy usernames).

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Parents I know usually either say the entire word "pacifier" when talking to a fellow adult, or use a word such as "binkie" When I am in Australia I mostly hear "smoother" and in the UK "dummy"
I don't think any parent would want to smooth their child. Sounds painful (how many years in jail would smoothing a child get you? :tongueout: )

In the UK "pack-ee" (spelt "paki") is a racist word for Asians and is terribly un-PC. (It is to Asians what "nigger" is to black people)
I always thought that term referred to Pakistanis. Are they Asian? Geographically, yes, but do they share the common racial characteristics of what people would typically call an "Asian"?

Peachy

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I always thought that term referred to Pakistanis. Are they Asian? Geographically, yes, but do they share the common racial characteristics of what people would typically call an "Asian"?
Yeah, "paki" is from "Pakistani" which is what we call Asian. I've noticed that in America "Asian" is used when talking about Chinese or Japanese people, which we would not do.
So they are what we would typically call an Asian person, pretty much exclusively (if we called somebody who wasn't Pakistani Asian, even if technically correct, it would probably be more out of ignorance than anything else).

Status
Not open for further replies.