Question about my subbies (subwoofer size poll)

Subwoofer size

• A 8" subwoofer for the box <IF SELECTED 4 of em>

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • A 10" subwoofer for the box

• a 12" subwoofer for the box

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • a 15" subwoofer for the box

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a 18" subwoofer for the box < IT WILL FIT ^^>

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, , Carer
im having problems with deciding on a size to stay with, I have tried 8s, 10s, and a 12, I have an Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royle 1990, its a boatmobile, its Huge!
I am pretty sure I can fit a single 18 in the trunk, but im just wanting to see what yall think I should stick with ^^;

These are the monsterous configs I have tried. and the downfall of the setup

10x10" HiVi SP10s - weighed way too much <530 pounds> and there is a metal bar in the way of were they were to be installed,

4x12" Dayton Titanic MKIII subwoofers - they are pretty heavy as well, <not as heavy as SP10s, weigh about 30 each, so it would come to 120lb, might go back to it>

4x18" Kicker SoloX - Weigh 100 pounds each, totalled at 400lb, amps would get pretty expensive as if the sub isnt already too much

1x18" Fi BTL - costs 400 a sub, takes a lot of power, could make for a really good sub with a good box

16x8" Pyle Blue wave - costs 320, pretty cheap and one hell of a bang

8x8" Pyle Blue Wave - costs 160, and I could call my audio system the Crazy 88 ^^

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Okaaaaaaaaay. Exactly what[/i] are you talking about? At first, I thought you meant submissive people ("subbies"), then I thought you were referring to cars when you started mentioning weight, but figured 530 lbs is not heavy enough for a car. Then I thought of boats, but that doesn't quite fit either.
So...what are you talking about?!

Peachy

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
subwoofers in a oldsmobile Eighty Eight, I call it a boatmobile because its so wide

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I don't get the overpowered stereo craze. I would like an old Lexus 430 with a Mark Levinson system. The trunk? for the subs? I would replace the bench with individual seats and put the sub between them near the legs, giving easy access to the amps in the trunk, which then could be by the extra battery.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
18" Sub??? You do realize the exponentially huge amount of power that will be required to drive a subwoofer like that, right? I really don't know much about the whole car subwoofer scene, cause I'm not really into that. I have a single 10" that I added just to take the bass off my car speakers, so I get much better low's. No thump for me :eek:

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
i would say don't go above a 15" subwoofer unless you're entering competitions. you should look at your system as a whole and go from there because if you increase the bass and nothing else your sound will still sound horrible.

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
im thinking about going into competitions, that way I could be in the audio world as well as having the loudest system in the world, the current 'top-dog' is 8 18" fi btl subwoofers, imma get a bus and put 48 18" Fi BTLs in it, now that should be murdering the competition ^^

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Well, it sounds like you aren't going for sound quality then :p. There was that van (it looked like a armored van) on Mythbusters when they went to that competition - it could shred paper with its bass. Of course, it was also extremely dangerous for a person to be in that part of the van.

Also, if you seriously want *that* much bass in your ride, keep in mind you'll probably need to get a more powerful alternatore (means worse gas mileage), a bigger battery, and some caps in on the amp end of things (so those 'thumps' don't strain your system). It's gonna be expensive!

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I do not know a whole lot about subwoofers, but I used to have 2 10" Lighting Audio subwoofers in my car which were 500 watts each but the amp was only 450 watts, so they did not quit hve the power they needed but it was decent.

Brands I would suggest from hearing them in freinds cars include....
-Alpine (realy expensive is the downfall, but worth the money if you have it)
-MTX (pretty cheap with real nice sound qaulity)
-Infinity (good qaulity sound with really good durability and realiability)
-Pioneer (similar qaulity, durability, and reliability as infinity)

I am sure there are other nice brands but those are just some I have had expeirance with that I thought were nice. Good luck with those subs (never heard them called subbies before), post in this thread what you eventually decide on.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
I have a pioneer mp3 head unit ( http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/130/h130DEHP480-f_CDp.jpg) , with kicker speakers (unknown, they came with the car, but sound great...) in the doors and back, and an alpine mono 350w amp ( http://www.hookedontronics.com/brands/alpine/mrpm350_2_250_196.jpg ) driving a cheapo 10" lightning audio sub. Can you spot the weak point? :p

I'm just looking around right now an middle of the road 10" sub's...nothing fancy - the lightning audio still pounds and everything, but it has a very unclean sound to it, and I think it's on the way out anyway.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
umm I couldn't tell what was going on in that video...there was a distorted sounding subwoofer sitting in the bathtub? Also, this one has actually been pretty good (has lasted 4 years!) but I want to go for clearer sound quality now, so it'll be gone soon.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I wouldn't get subs at all. Every time I see someone driving around with their stereo blaring and them with all their friends in the car driving around for no reason but to look kewl, I think "bloody hell, what a wanker" (no offense yo you :)). But for at my home, I would like some really big ones that'll bring the house down :D

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
well, my p4.10.4 got dropped once, maybe thats why it died with 100w RMS, ^^; - and Im already looking at some big subs for the house <18" RE probabley>

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Dude... please don't be another one of those guys that puts $2000 worth of stereo equipent in a $200 car. It's so tasteless...

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
the car didnt cost me 200 bucks, it only costed me 100 ^^

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
I wouldn't get subs at all. Every time I see someone driving around with their stereo blaring and them with all their friends in the car driving around for no reason but to look kewl, I think "bloody hell, what a wanker" (no offense yo you :)). But for at my home, I would like some really big ones that'll bring the house down :D
I hate those people too, in my car my sub is just enough to fill in the low end. It sounds awesome in my car, but you can't hear any of it outside. In fact, you can hear the door speakers but not the sub lol. Also, I gotta agree with Darkfinn, it's kinda tasteless when I see these beaters that need repair badly, but the owner instead spent $2000 on audio equipment.

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
my ride isnt really a beater though, was gonna cost me 2000 but it needed new brakes, and brake lines, so I had em repaired and the owner sold me the car for 100, its one hell of a car ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.