Question about cloth diapers

Carnifex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I am wondering if anyone here can sew cloth diapers but I am looking for diapers that have a water proof cover and are absorbent enough to be a really good bedwetting diaper

There are a number of sellers/seamsters on Etsy who can work with you to create a custom cloth diaper that will fit your needs, but I would strongly recommend that you NOT get an all-in-one (AIO) diaper with a built-in waterproof cover. There are a few reasons, but the biggies are:

1. Durability. You're probably going to dry these in a dryer, which waterproof fabrics hate. Diaper cloth lasts a long time, but waterproof covers just don't. Tie the two together and you'll get a garment that won't last.

2. Leaks. I've never had an AIO that didn't leak at the legs. The waterproof cover really needs to be physically separate from the absorbent layers.

Just say no.

-RMS

Reactions: littlemoosey
AIO's don't last that long either. The cloth layers will last a lot longer than the waterproof layer. You'll either need to be good at repair sewing, or better yet just get them separate to begin with.

Reactions: MatalicPebble
AIOs have their place, I just don't think they're the mainstay of an effective cloth diaper stash, for the reasons given above. Not for nighttime use, anyway. Seldom are the seams sealed to prevent wicking, which pretty much relegates AIOs to daytime use, when they can be changed promptly. Otherwise, the overnight hours are plenty of time for wetness to creep out along the threads and moisten your pajamas, sheets, etc.

I recently bought an AIO to augment my large stash of prefolds--just for fun. It's a Dependeco. These diapers are very nicely made, and Monika (the owner) even custom-sized one for me, which was totally awesome. (Plug, plug, plugggg.) And in fairness to her, I've worn and used this diaper a number of times during the day and not experienced even the slightest hint of a leak. That said, quite a few others here have reported that these Dependecos do wick moisture after a while, and for overnight use, must be worn with a separate cover. And I believe it. My own kids were in cloth diapers about ten years ago, and among our many diapers were several AIOs. These were great during the day, but we did our best to avoid using them overnight. Even with extra padding, they'd leak at the legs and we'd be washing blankets and crib sheets the next day.

If you're mainly after functionality, then you might at least try prefolds or flats--with pins (or some other fastener) and a pull-on cover. As somebody whose diaper preferences are dictated by a fetish, I can certainly appreciate how this kind of diaper would be unappealing to somebody inclined toward disposables. But, fetishy preferences aside, this arrangement is often cited as one of the most leak-proof nighttime options, especially if you're a side-sleeper. Although the bulk of a prefold can take some getting used to.

Last edited:
Back when I wore cloth diapers they seemed very durable. Of course I paid good money for them. They are made with Pul which seem to have lasted. Of course I have not warn them for a while but, I plan to in order to reconnect with my little side.

Cottontail said:
AIOs have their place, I just don't think they're the mainstay of an effective cloth diaper stash, for the reasons given above. Not for nighttime use, anyway. Seldom are the seams sealed to prevent wicking, which pretty much relegates AIOs to daytime use, when they can be changed promptly. Otherwise, the overnight hours are plenty of time for wetness to creep out along the threads and moisten your pajamas, sheets, etc.

I recently bought an AIO to augment my large stash of prefolds--just for fun. It's a Dependeco. These diapers are very nicely made, and Monika (the owner) even custom-sized one for me, which was totally awesome. (Plug, plug, plugggg.) And in fairness to her, I've worn and used this diaper a number of times during the day and not experienced even the slightest hint of a leak. That said, quite a few others here have reported that these Dependecos do wick moisture after a while, and for overnight use, must be worn with a separate cover. And I believe it. My own kids were in cloth diapers about ten years ago, and among our many diapers were several AIOs. These were great during the day, but we did our best to avoid using them overnight. Even with extra padding, they'd leak at the legs and we'd be washing blankets and crib sheets the next day.

If you're mainly after functionality, then you might at least try prefolds or flats--with pins (or some other fastener) and a pull-on cover. As somebody whose diaper preferences are dictated by a fetish, I can certainly appreciate how this kind of diaper would be unappealing to somebody inclined toward disposables. But, fetishy preferences aside, this arrangement is often cited as one of the most leak-proof nighttime options, especially if you're a side-sleeper. Although the bulk of a prefold can take some getting used to.
You aren't kidding about the bulk of cloth being a problem for side sleepers. After a few months I started to get hip pain from it, and had to go back to disposables. They never once leaked on me though.

Back