Question about aio cloth diapers

ej24

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've never tried cloth diapers. If I did I think I'd like to try the velcro style aio cloth diapers. It looks like babykins is a quality option? How does the aio cover feel? Does it have a crinkle at all? I assume it wouldn't be quite like disposables but is there some? Is the plastic covering really dense/heavy? Thin? Is it durable? I think I'd prefer the aio route as I think it's more similar to disposables than cloth and separate plastic pants. Also if there are any other brands worth checking out I'd love to know.

I use the cloth diapers as a diaper cover they work really good if you get the right size cloth diaper.

Yeah I gather sizing is less forgiving with cloth. Have you used the aio cloth diapers?

ej24 said:
Yeah I gather sizing is less forgiving with cloth. Have you used the aio cloth diapers?
I use aio and they are awesome. I rarely use them to wet in due to thr fact I dont like doing laundry a ton and dont have a lot. How ever, keep in mind they feel differently in comparison to disposables. But they are not crinkly and are usually very soft. There tends to he lots more inside and have a lot more give when it comes to moving around.

Notes.
Keep in mind aio usually use pul as the liner.
This is a breathable fabric and can leak if flooded or over used. So it is suggested you use a diaper cover or plastic pants over them. As for plastic pants. They do crinkle.

Lastly, keep in mind that cloth diapers arent exactly green or environment friendly. However, with extended use are usually cheaper to use if you use them alot

I don't use my diapers often, I usually wear them briefly when I have time and rarely wet them so I'm able to wear them again until the tapes give out or unless I actually use them for their intended purpose. I generally like thick diapers, rarely actually use my disposables, so I thought cloth aio may actually be a nice option. I do like a nice crinkle though don't particularly like the aesthetics of plastic pants. Figure aio is a solid middle ground?

Reactions: RedPandaDL and bbpnts
Most AIO's I've seen require extra padding to have sufficient capacity--so then what's the point of "all-in-one"--?--much less if they require plastic pants! I have PUL velcro-fastening covers that work with whatever padding I want--less or more to suit. I hand-wash and hang to dry, so the less bulk of individual items the better, but this is still an issue with machine washing and drying--less time and expense. Most PUL fabrics (they are not all made equal) pass individual water molecules, so when flooded will wick moisture straight-through, just slowly. If you need to get through a whole night's sleep why not just go with a totally waterproof pull-on over as many layers of folded pads as necessary? I have elastane "cheer"-type briefs that securely hold enough folded pads under waterproof pull-ons (keeping the pad fabric away from leg and waist elastics) to contain one liter--no problem--these or other types of snug stretchy underwear can also help keep everything in place when worn over (outside) any kind of cover--especially if you have little differential between waist and hip circumference--for daytime active wear under jeans, etc. I greatly prefer the snap-on covers I have now (Medline Ultra-Fitted Briefs) for ease of changing (whether dressed or not) and ease of hand-washing/drying--as well as comfort and assurance of reliability--but (as I have posted in other threads) the fit is all-important, and they DO NOT fit the ranges stated in catalog listings. To me these (and the velcro covers mentioned above) have nearly all the desirable qualities of disposables for urinary incontinence while avoiding the downside of disposal and cost--they're charmingly "authentic" looking without cute prints, and far more comfortable. Yes, if you're changing "out" somewhere there's the issue of "packing"--less of a problem when rinsing is an option, and not too difficult with proper containment--I save heavy-duty zip "hazard transport" bags (unused) from a drugstore dumpster. If you're wearing to ease anxiety, there's no worry about eternal waste and cost. The care required in washing/drying is just one facet of the overall "caring" that provides meaning to the whole "wearing" experience.

I’ve never tried AIOs but I’ve heard that they’re more difficult to dry. Also with the PUL cover as part of the whole until it can deteriorate before the rest of the diaper with many washings but you can always wear plastic pants or a PUL cover over the AOI if that happens. The absorbency of all cloth diapers increases the more they’re put through the wash cycle but since you don’t often wet your diaper none of the above mentioned will be of any concern for you. Good luck with finding something that works for you. Stay padded.

Cloth diapers are much cheaper then disposables. They are bulkier for the same absorption. I prefer the Birdseye type cloth with pins and either pull on or snap on PUL diaper covers. Cloth diapers are better for side sleepers. For the most part, I wear cloth most of the time.

Cloth feels good on the skin but needs special attention in washing and drying.

Don’t buy too much because you may not like them; however if you don’t like cloth diapers they can be cut up and uses as cleaning rages.

Wow lots of advice here. I honestly didn't realize how much I have to learn, I guess I have some homework to do.

Can you all point me to some websites of reputable brands that have discreet shipping?

ej24 said:
I don't use my diapers often, I usually wear them briefly when I have time and rarely wet them so I'm able to wear them again until the tapes give out or unless I actually use them for their intended purpose. I generally like thick diapers, rarely actually use my disposables, so I thought cloth aio may actually be a nice option. I do like a nice crinkle though don't particularly like the aesthetics of plastic pants. Figure aio is a solid middle ground?
Like you, I don’t wet my diapers often. I purchased some Threaded Armor AIOs (Super Undies). I have never wet them. I think the extended wear ones feel a lot like a disposable when dry, except softer. Since I don’t wet them, my wife just washes them with other laundry. They always come out completely dry. I wear the pull-ons, but they also have ones that snap. I think if you really wanted to wet them heavily, you would want their protective brief, which is a pocket style diaper. I love my Super Undies. I have probably 100+ disposable diapers left, but I rarely ever wear one, because I find the Super Undies to be more comfortable and more convenient.

I've got 7 pairs od the Dependeco cloth diapers. http://dependeco-adult-diapers.com/ Some AIO, others flannel, and I wear all of them with additional soaker pads. I find that with disposables I will leak.

You will find that the cloth diapers will fit very differently to disposables, I'd suggest buying a few different brands (Rearz, Babykins, Dependeco)and seeing what you like the feel of. Bear in mind that they will all need 2-3 hot washes to start to fluff up and become more absorbent.

Reactions: ABbilly
I have a half-dozen of the Snap-EZ AIOs (Snap-EZ.com) and they're fine if you take into account their limited capacity. More absorbent AIOs tend to take too long to dry and the lifespan is relatively short ... the plastic covers disintegrate after being dried frequently.

I've tried Dependeco and found them too 'workman-like' for my taste; the owner told me she would not modify her product, which frankly surprised me. I also had several of the old Freestyle AIOs (I think Babykins sold them for several years) and they were huge ... again, an issue that stemmed from the diaper being intended for several heavy wettings. The Freestyle diapers were $50 each and I wound up donating them to charity because I felt I was wearing an area rug around the house.

The Angel Fluff AFDC AIOs are okay if you can handle the blue outer cover.

As Okram notes, cloth AIOs tend to fit differently compared to disposables. I'd second the recommendation to try a few different brands to see what you like.

ej24 said:
Wow lots of advice here. I honestly didn't realize how much I have to learn, I guess I have some homework to do.

Can you all point me to some websites of reputable brands that have discreet shipping?
A quick search-scan shows completely different results/offerings than I've seen in past--items discontinued, suppressed--?--you're on your own--good luck! If your use is primarily recreational and at-home the Kins products are worth looking at--I consider them impractical--and note that cotton terry can be abrasive. ABDL all-cotton training pants maybe? If you provide precise waist-hip-leg circumferences you'll get more reliable advice. Check out my and others' adisc posts on related topics.

ej24 said:

So when it comes to cloth diapers. I have only used 1 brand and they are from http://dependeco-adult-diapers.com these are really good and after chatting with the owner i have gotten a bit different versions of the diapers she has made for me and they have all turned out very well. If you want a higher rising cloth diaper just ask her and she will be more than willing to tweak them in that manner. I have also had other modifications and specific product made from her.

Plus she ships all of her products in discrete shipping!

She has always followed through and been around for years. And has always delievered.

When I got a bad product in the past. She replaced it for free. Which was truely amazing!

Reactions: Edgelyn
I only wear cloth diapers, I am incontinent so I need a reasonably priced means of protection... Cloth diapers are initially expensive and you need a diaper cover. Cloth diapers last a long time, and are comfortable to wear, they get softer the more they are washed. I tried All in One (AIO) diapers and they are good at night but during the day, they are too bulky, and they take a long time to dry. When wearing an AIO at night I need a larger diaper cover. Washing and drying diapers is time consuming but the result is a softer diaper, and more comfort

Reactions: Jim100
I have found that they do not wash well and sometime trap urine deep within the aio fabric.
Plus they take a log time to dry.

Reactions: ABbilly
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I don't often wet my diapers thus my interest in getting that nice diaper feel without necessarily buying disposables. So I'm not too concerned about washing and drying regularly, well, not to remove pee anyway. Also I wear maybe 2-3 times per month so it's not like I need them dry immediately after washing.

PaSS said:
So when it comes to cloth diapers. I have only used 1 brand and they are from http://dependeco-adult-diapers.com these are really good and after chatting with the owner i have gotten a bit different versions of the diapers she has made for me and they have all turned out very well. If you want a higher rising cloth diaper just ask her and she will be more than willing to tweak them in that manner. I have also had other modifications and specific product made from her.

Plus she ships all of her products in discrete shipping!

She has always followed through and been around for years. And has always delievered.

When I got a bad product in the past. She replaced it for free. Which was truely amazing!

Wow that's quite a lot of options there. Does she do solid colors on request? Also when you say higher rising, are cloth diapers usually lower rise than disposables? Or just these particular ones are lower rise?

ej24 said:
Wow that's quite a lot of options there. Does she do solid colors on request? Also when you say higher rising, are cloth diapers usually lower rise than disposables? Or just these particular ones are lower rise?
from past experience with her. her diapers tend to ride low on me. So I usually add a inch or 2 to the length.
She does solid colors as well. You might need to hit her up privately about it though. But I don't see why she wouldn't do it.

Edit

There you go!

Last edited:
ej24 said:

View my last edit!

Back