punished for wetting the bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggreggy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I was talking with my cousin, Bobby, last night. he said some guy at work was polling the group about what punishment works fora kid that still wets the bed. Bobby told him to not punish, which the guy would not accept. poor kid.

Bobby and i were never punished for our constant bedwetting. of course we were paddled for many other things--we were always getting into trouble.

so were any of you punished for wetting the bed?

While I don't recall ever being bedwetter (I have a very vague recollection of something) I'm strongly against a punishing a kid for bedwetting. What's the point in punishing them for something that they have no control over (if they did it on purpose or are just lazy it may be a different story), ok the parent isn't happy about it, possible mattress being ruined, having to deal with it first thing in the morning or middle of the night, but that's no reason to punish the kid they are already upset over it and punishing them could just make it worse, similar to how you shouldn't yell at a kid when they've done wrong as it actives their fight or flight response (or so I've read).

I mean do parents punish their kid when they are having trouble being potty trained?

So,no I wasn't punished for wetting the bed :D (sorry if that seamed a little ranty)

No, I wasn't punished for wetting the bed.

I did have a rubber/plastic sheet on the bed (I do not recall whether the sheet was already on my bed when I started to wet the bed or whether it was added when I started to wet the bed).

After a few days (weeks?) my parents got me diapers to wear but there was never any punishment.

In regard to using punishment for potty training. If you go to the early 1900 it was common to punish a child during potty training, This was especially true had the adult been trying to train them for a while and they weren't performing. In the 1950s (my childhood) this was still common to a point. My mother told a story about her sister in law. First she said my cousins were too old to have not been potty trained. Then she said that my aunt would spank them with their pants loaded. Her problem with this was she didn't understand doing this because it made cleaning them up harder. I was too little to remember my sister or I being trained but I bet my mother (RIP) would spank for that. And she didn't hesitate spanking for other misbehavior. Fortunately we evolved and the vast majority today would (rightly) agree that punishment doesn't help potty training. If they were trained and did it on purpose or something like that I certainly would punish them but that is different.

I read something years ago. The author had bed wetting problems. He set an alarm for mid morning and got up to pee. That solved the problem.

As a toddler I was beaten and put into a cold shower for the terrible offense of bedwetting. It just served to make me emotionally unstable. Somehow I learned to stay dry for a while, but the instability brought it back at around age 6, and gave troubles until 14.

Here is a suggestion for your guy at work. Challenge him to hold in his hand a ping pong ball when he goes to sleep, and be required to suffer punishment of some sort if he cannot keep it in his hand all night. Such as, if he wakes up without the ball in his hand, he must pay everybody in the group $10. He might get the idea of learning control overnight.

BlueGrey said:
Here is a suggestion for your guy at work. Challenge him to hold in his hand a ping pong ball when he goes to sleep, and be required to suffer punishment of some sort if he cannot keep it in his hand all night. Such as, if he wakes up without the ball in his hand, he must pay everybody in the group $10. He might get the idea of learning control overnight.

I like that Idea :D

woodenpotty said:
In regard to using punishment for potty training. If you go to the early 1900 it was common to punish a child during potty training, This was especially true had the adult been trying to train them for a while and they weren't performing. In the 1950s (my childhood) this was still common to a point. My mother told a story about her sister in law. First she said my cousins were too old to have not been potty trained. Then she said that my aunt would spank them with their pants loaded. Her problem with this was she didn't understand doing this because it made cleaning them up harder. I was too little to remember my sister or I being trained but I bet my mother (RIP) would spank for that. And she didn't hesitate spanking for other misbehavior. Fortunately we evolved and the vast majority today would (rightly) agree that punishment doesn't help potty training. If they were trained and did it on purpose or something like that I certainly would punish them but that is different.

Guess I grew up in the time after we evolved, I don't have any memories of being potty trained so really have no idea, and it's kinda a odd question to ask my parents.

You could ask "Was I difficult to potty train? It is a neutral question without any implication. Kind of like asking "How old was I when learned to walk." If you are 29 punishment for potty training was no longer approved. I trained kids in the 1970s & 80s and didn't punish for that. I did spank, but never for that.

Yes. Back then, I had no idea it was because of the stress from school back when I was in like, 1st or 2nd grade. My own parents were very strict. I hated it because didn't really help with the stress but, I eventually did stop wetting the bed..

Last edited:
BlueGrey said:
As a toddler I was beaten and put into a cold shower for the terrible offense of bedwetting. It just served to make me emotionally unstable. Somehow I learned to stay dry for a while, but the instability brought it back at around age 6, and gave troubles until 14.

like ryan i think that is agood suggestion. i'll offer it up to bobby. maybe we can save a fellow bed wetter some pain or humiliation. thanks.

My parents tolerated it for awhile and then made me wear diapers. At the time I hated it. If they only knew what I've become.

ggreggy said:
I was talking with my cousin, Bobby, last night. he said some guy at work was polling the group about what punishment works fora kid that still wets the bed. Bobby told him to not punish, which the guy would not accept. poor kid.

Bobby and i were never punished for our constant bedwetting. of course we were paddled for many other things--we were always getting into trouble.

so were any of you punished for wetting the bed?
Yes I had my face rubbed in my wet bed regularly.

I wasn't punished at all ...more just neglected and left to my own to deal with it, even thou i wet the bed throughout high school years but that was all mostly on purpose.

That's unbelievably sad. Where I am, it would absolutely be considered abuse, and our local CAS would absolutely step in if they found out.

I wasn't overtly punished for wetting as a kid, but I did have to wear diapers to bed for a bit and I remember my parents characterizing it as a kind of bad thing. Here's the result. I would never do that to a kid. Ever.

I think nowdays parents wouldnt punish for this but decades ago it was a different story. My parents tried using light physical punishment for me and my brother for overage bedwetting but gave up after a while. At least they werent very consistent about it. Most of the intention was to embarrass. By late puberty we were taught how to use the washer and dryer and had to wash our own bedding and jps and we got in more trouble for not cleaning up than anything else. Although we still got lectured and verbally embarrassed for it sometimes.

Parents who do that are ignorant. Withhold liquids for an hour before bed. The person will have an empty bladder.

Sent from my UL40 using Tapatalk

chamberpot said:
I wasn't punished at all ...more just neglected and left to my own to deal with it, even thou i wet the bed throughout high school years but that was all mostly on purpose.

By my teens I was left to deal with it my self. I often wet deliberately during my teens. I always suspected my Mother knew I did but nothing was ever said. By my teens my bedwetting was just accepted and my folks just didn't bother any more.

I was never punished for wetting the bed. If I ignored my bladder and kept playing/watching TV until I overflowed, then I could count on a spanking...which stings more on a damp tush.

I was never punished, although my Mother would have me stand on a chair in the kitchen, naked from the wait down, in front of my 2 older sisters, whilst she cleaned me up. I was probably 6 or 7 at the time and remember feeling utterly humiliated by the whole experience.

Jonjon said:
I was never punished for wetting the bed. If I ignored my bladder and kept playing/watching TV until I overflowed, then I could count on a spanking...which stings more on a damp tush.

I used to wet my pants all the time growing up. My folks never seemed to care if I wet my self but the bed wetting annoyed the hell out of them until I was about 12 or 13 when they just gave up and left me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back