Punished for being disabled.

KimbaWolfNagihiko

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I wish I could tell you in detail but my mom pretty much helped me get SSI when I turned 18. All I remember is I had to go visit a psychiatrist who evaluated me and agreed that my autism was disabling enough to get SSI. So if I'm not mistaken, they largely base their decision upon what the psychiatrist thinks.
They already made me go to a psychologist of their choosing, who talked to me for about ten minutes tops. So it wasn't a very assuring visit...

SgtOddball

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Little
The UK can be like this as well, though we have the other issue. Sure I have a job, I earn over £9 an hour, work 8 hour days, 5 days a week, + get the £595.40 a Month from PIP.

The problem we get in the UK is we get Disability Assessments to see if we are suitable for Disability benefits and the companies will do their best to make sure you don't get it even if you deserve it, espiecally if you have life long disabilities like Autism.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
They already made me go to a psychologist of their choosing, who talked to me for about ten minutes tops. So it wasn't a very assuring visit...
Did they deny you?

Sometimes visits are short because the doctor has decided you are already disabled enough to get SSDI.

Chimera

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Little
Well don't jump to any conclusions, as Calico said they might have already decided you are disabled enough. I know in my experience though, the psychiatrist visit lasted me about 30-60 minutes because they had me playing puzzle games for most of it. I don't know what the purpose was of it, but I guess it was a way for them to verify I'm autistic?

KimbaWolfNagihiko

Est. Contributor
Role
Did they deny you?

Sometimes visits are short because the doctor has decided you are already disabled enough to get SSDI.
I haven't received the decision yet.

KimbaWolfNagihiko

Est. Contributor
Role
Well don't jump to any conclusions, as Calico said they might have already decided you are disabled enough. I know in my experience though, the psychiatrist visit lasted me about 30-60 minutes because they had me playing puzzle games for most of it. I don't know what the purpose was of it, but I guess it was a way for them to verify I'm autistic?
From what I understand, the little tests/quizzes are their way of testing your cognition/attention etc.

PaddedStag

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
I feel like the U.S. government is punishing people for being born with a disability.
I recently had my first meeting with someone from my state’s Department for the Blind and Visually Impaired since 2008 when I was 17 and they closed my case. I’m now 28 and I wanted to see if there was anything they could do to help me find ways to gain more indpependence: both physically and finically.
I wanted to see if I was eligible to receive full disability and I was curiious to see if I qualified for any type of grant or plan for disabled people trying to start a small business. I want to be able to grow and expand my small business (my band and our publishing company/recording studio) so that I can gain some independence and eventually move out of my parents house.

Here's what I found out.

Because I became disabled before I was able to work (since birth in my case), I am not eligible for full disability. I’m currently on SSI and receiving $663 a month.
The lady told me that I am currently recieiving the maximum amount that someone in my situation is able to receive and that it won't increase.
I can't survive on that. I can't rent a room or pay for transportation, food, bills etc. Not on that.

I was also informed that I can't earn more than $2000 a month (SSI + band gigs) or they will take away my SSI. She also said they can take it away if they find out I have more than $2000 in assets. I also can't get married (not even common law) or they will take my money.

She basically told me that in order to keep my SSI check, I would have to remain in poverty the rest of my life. I can not make enough money to advance. I have to stay here.
She suggested looking into section 8 housing. She said she could help me get a job making pens and pencils with other blind people. She said that might make bme feel like I'm accomplishing something/earning a living.

I'm disgusted. I'm not even allowed to try and make a decent living. I can't.
I don't want to live off the government forever. I wanted help so that I could eventually make it on my own without them. But I'm not allowed. They don't want me to better myself. I wanted a chance to make it like everyone else.

For the last several years, I've given my entire check to my parents to help pay the house payment so that I will have a house to inherit when they're gone. It's our way of at least making sure I won't end up homeless. In the meantime, I use the money that I earn each week from playing guitar in a cover band to buy food, pay my bills and I pay for the gas and tolls for my dad when he takes me to and from my weekly gigs.

This just isn't fair.
This is exactly right.

And so very wrong (of the govt.).

As someone who was blue-collar all my life, when I became unable to work in any of the jobs I'd had experience in?

There was ZERO SUPPORT/PROGRAMS available for me to LEARN ANOTHER JOB that I COULD DO, and return to the self-pride of being a wage-earner, tax-paying citizen of my Country.

Now I exist on the govts. tit.

While I am making efforts to wean myself from this diabolical system-of-sustained-dependence?...

The fucking 'System' does everything in it's proverbial power to prevent me from doing so.

PaddedStag

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
By the way, disability gets you preferred hiring status. They give you everything you need to succeed, from auto readers to specialized training.
You have no idea how terrible this sentiment is.
You hire someone based on their experience, OR train-ability.

Not for some political agenda.

I have been passed-over for three Federal Jobs, back when I was 100% fit to do them, due to 'Reverse Discrimination'. (I was 'White', and that wasn't who they could hire, per govt. mandate).

Total bullshit.

SgtOddball

Est. Contributor
Role
You have no idea how terrible this sentiment is.
You hire someone based on their experience, OR train-ability.

Not for some political agenda.

I have been passed-over for three Federal Jobs, back when I was 100% fit to do them, due to 'Reverse Discrimination'. (I was 'White', and that wasn't who they could hire, per govt. mandate).

Total bullshit.
No such thing as "Reverse Discrimination", Discrimination is still Discrimination no matter whom you are Discriminating against.

Last edited:

SgtOddball

Est. Contributor
Role
That still makes it Discrimination, like I said there is no such thing as Reverse Discrimination nor will I accept it as a valid term or sentiment.

PaddedStag

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
That still makes it Discrimination, like I said there is no such thing as Reverse Discrimination nor will I accept it as a valid term or sentiment.
I mucked-up my first reply to you. Apologies.
Re-posting here so folks will know what I said.

'Reverse Discrimination' is a phrase/sentiment, and it is perfectly valid.

If you hire anyone NOT 'White', because of mandated 'Minority' quota-hire policies?

That is 'Discrimination', in it's purest definition.

Don't pummel me for sharing words used in common parlance.

Focus on the problem, instead.

caitianx

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur, Incontinent
My Autism/Asperger's was well-documented and I got onto SSDI on the first try.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
I was denied SSDI the first try. I was on SSI and then they said I qualified for SSDI and I had to go to a doctor for it and it got denied. A year later I somehow got approved after I applied again because I no longer qualified for SSI so they sent me to be evaluated again. It happened days after the appointment and I was shocked. Also the appointment didn't last that long either. Maybe only 20 minutes. The first appointment felt like hours and he was just asking me questions like my work and my past relationships and my reason for moving to Portland and where I lived before. I remember I barely looked at him and I was looking around the room and I was so comfortable sitting on this sofa because of how nice it felt, I didn't stim at all.

gnd567

Est. Contributor
Role
It looks like I'll have to find some way to expand my business. I'm going to look into grants for small business. Maybe there are some for disable individuals looking to start their business.

Lestat

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I have been on disability SSI $800 a month for 25 years. Thing is I work for 10 years then started having Seizures. Now they are controlled. Here what stops me from Working. The cost of my pills. Even if I work 40 hours. a week at the minimum wage in CA. $15.00 an hour. That $600 a week and x 4 make it 2,400 a month. take out taxes let say $400. I am left with $2,000. I could live off of that. Rent $650, Bills $350 food and such with the rest would be no issue. But here the problem. I have to take Name Brand medication Keppra. Because generic Keppra is crap does not work. So let that nice $2,000 - the Pills is $1400. I end up with a Whopping $600 a month. Less than what I get on SSI Disability.

So I have both the Government and Drug company preventing me from working. You can't sue the Drug company for a $.09 pill they charge $15 for each and I have to take 3 of them a day. So that $46 a day or stay on SSI and get $800

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
It does suck that you want to be more dependent but can't because of your disability. You need your pills to function and to be "normal" but to do that is to work less hours so you keep getting SSI. But if you work more hours and lose SSI, you can't afford pills anymore. BTW doesn't your insurance pay for your pills like do you get some sort of plan to help pay for your meds?

My fear about SSDI and SSI is them saying your condition has improved so they take away your disability because they don't understand that you are only doing better because of the support you are getting. I was given a disability review and had to go to my on going disability appointment to see if I am still disabled. They even sent my mom a packet too for her to fill out about my disability and they sent me one too. This was the first time ever I had gone through it since being on disability at 18 years of age. This must be a new thing for everyone.

Lestat

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
It does suck that you want to be more dependent but can't because of your disability. You need your pills to function and to be "normal" but to do that is to work less hours so you keep getting SSI. But if you work more hours and lose SSI, you can't afford pills anymore. BTW doesn't your insurance pay for your pills like do you get some sort of plan to help pay for your meds?
SSI and Medical pay for the meds. The thing is Brand name Medications screwing me one way and the government doing it the other way. I wish I could sue the Generic company for the medication which should be equal to the Brand name don't work. Somehow I should be able to fight this.

My fear about SSDI and SSI is them saying your condition has improved so they take away your disability because they don't understand that you are only doing better because of the support you are getting. I was given a disability review and had to go to my on going disability appointment to see if I am still disabled. They even sent my mom a packet too for her to fill out about my disability and they sent me one too. This was the first time ever I had gone through it since being on disability at 18 years of age. This must be a new thing for everyone.
Ya Legally I am disabled under the law. But even being disabled I should not have to Fight two entities to have a normal life.

caitianx

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur, Incontinent
SSI and Medical pay for the meds. The thing is Brand name Medications screwing me one way and the government doing it the other way. I wish I could sue the Generic company for the medication which should be equal to the Brand name don't work. Somehow I should be able to fight this.

Ya Legally I am disabled under the law. But even being disabled I should not have to Fight two entities to have a normal life.
Sigh...
We disabled on SSI/SSDI have to fight like Hell just to get what we need.

SnowPrincessSophie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent
I may not even get it at all, I tried and failed one time, and consulting with a lawyer about it seemed to give em the impression that chances are slim especially when I stopped taking meds for ADHD long ago and have done fine without it since. I'm probably in the super high functioning category with Aspergers as I'm near indistinguishable in functioning from the average neurotypical. I still have it but even employment agencies that specifically recruit people with disabilities seem to pass over me because I don't "look disabled." Like how are you supposed to handle being clearly diagnosed with a condition, unable to get support or a satisfying, in-field work because you function too well and don't look clearly disabled enough for people to care?

KimbaWolfNagihiko

Est. Contributor
Role
Well, today I received my disapproval letter for SSI. ''Although your condition is severe, it is not of the severity required to receive disability benefits.'' Yeah, OK. I'm going to appeal, although I don't know how much good it's going to do me...