Public changing (UK): Helpful places and people

nappiesatnight

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
There are a number of "changing places" available in the UK (which is great) but if you don't have (or have forgotten) your RADAR key you still need help to access.

Other places still just have disabled loos - some locked - some not.

I have found there to be a considerable mix when it comes to understanding people who get it and are willing to help when I'm caught out (which isn't that often).

I thought to start a thread to share experiences and information.

Typically, if I'm in a city I'll head for a supermarket as they will always have public conveniences incl. a disabled loo. In order of most helpful to least:

1) Sainsbury's
2) John Lewis / Waitrose
3) Asda (some now have changing places loos - but super awkward getting key to go in when you don't 'look' disabled)
4) Tesco

Also - I have found generally that the people at Boots and Mothercare are hugely helpful and will do what they can if they have anywhere to change.

Motorways: M4 is very good generally

M5 - once you get North of Bristol - not so much in the Southwest (avoid J29 services)

M25 - not so great! same goes for M20

M3 Hit and miss.

I appreciate that this is just my experience over about 5 years and it is a very broad brush stroke it would be good to hear about other peoples experiences

Reactions: Diprs2 and Furrytum
Changed in my car just off a motorway junction on the m6 several years ago. It was about 10 at night. Next thing I know, is a policewoman tapping on the window. Embarrassed? Yes, just slightly! Finished dressing, got out and explained I needed to change. She smiled and said she thought I was a tea leaf and just to make sure I didn’t have a boot full of stolen goods, could she have a look. Opened the boot. Only items in the boot were my waterproof coat, umbrella and a partially opened packet of Rearz Safari. That ended the conversation!

Reactions: Diprs2, Teddy02 and TheWolfEmperor
Morrisons also have disabled loos, Cardiff now has about 6 or 7 changing places including one in St Davids/Queen St Shopping arcade. (just checked now 8 in total). if you need to find one then go to:- http://changingplaces.uktoiletmap.org/

Reactions: Diprs2 and siysiy
If only such places were more common across the pond. The US and Canada could really use more of these "changing places."

Reactions: Diprs2
South West England and Wales - Good places to change your nappy!

Bristol:

Cribbs Causeway: Changing places toilet, but all disabled toilets have large nappy bins.

Asda/Morrisons, Cribbs Causeway: Both disabled toilets have large nappy bins and small shelves to keep changing supplies to hand on.

Cabot Circus: All disabled toilets have plenty of room and nappy bins.

M5 Motorway:

Gordano Services: Decent changing places toilet with changing table and nappy bins.

Sedgemoor services: Small disabled toilets, but large nappy bins in each one.

A30: Cornwall Services, changing place toilet - however, this is in a staff area of the services which makes it a bit of a drag. The easily accessible disabled toilets have loads of space and large nappy bins.

St Davids shopping centre, Cardiff: Changing place is decent here. However, when I used it the other day the bin was overflowing with messy adult nappies :(

Bristol Airport: Lovely changing place, free wet wipes!

Cardiff Airport: Small disabled toilet which doubles as a baby changing facility = stinky and full nappy bin

Sticking with Cardiff,
Ikea has a good changing places toilet (Radar), and a few other disabled toilets dotted around it.
St Fagans museum has 2 changing places, both radar locked, an unlocked disabled loo with a shower, all with squirt wash toilets, and a few public showers.
We don't have stuff on that level up here, Glasgow has a few changing places but nothing special.

nappiesatnight said:
There are a number of "changing places" available in the UK (which is great) but if you don't have (or have forgotten) your RADAR key you still need help to access.

I have found there to be a considerable mix when it comes to understanding people who get it and are willing to help when I'm caught out (which isn't that often).

Typically, if I'm in a city I'll head for a supermarket as they will always have public conveniences incl. a disabled loo. In order of most helpful to least:

1) Sainsbury's
2) John Lewis / Waitrose
3) Asda (some now have changing places loos - but super awkward getting key to go in when you don't 'look' disabled)
4) Tesco

Also - I have found generally that the people at Boots and Mothercare are hugely helpful and will do what they can if they have anywhere to change.

M5 - once you get North of Bristol - not so much in the Southwest (avoid J29 services)

M3 Hit and miss.

I appreciate that this is just my experience over about 5 years and it is a very broad brush stroke it would be good to hear about other peoples experiences
Thanks for sharing will try to add any information, full time chair enabled here

nappiesatnight said:

1) Sainsbury's
2) John Lewis / Waitrose
4) Tesco

M3 Hit and miss.

Hi there, great post, feel free to message me

I've recently started a thread about this
...it says I'm not entirely in favour of just anyone using Changing Places!
Sorry.

Don't you guys have a card that you can show someone if you need a toilet badly? I know some places don't always acknowledge that but it might be useful in the event of a diaper change.

I'd also like to point out it doesn't matter if you have a physical need for diapers, or a mental need for diapers. A need is a need, and that alone is reason enough to be using handicapped stalls and/or family restrooms with chancing stations in them.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, BrattyPrincessSophie and LilxFawn
Great information. Many thanks 👍

nappiesatnight said:

M3 Hit and miss.

Changing Places are not really for able-bodied incontinent adults but for people who need a hoist to lift them onto either the toilet or the changing table. If you use one when you can change standing you could be depriving someone in real need.

As for services, the four stations nearest London (Heston, Reading, Chieveley and Membury) are all Moto stations and they all require RADAR keys for the disabled loo. You can buy these from Incontinence Choice; I'm not sure if you need to prove need for them. The petrol station is often separately managed, however, and you don't need a key for the disabled toilet in the petrol stations at Reading (east or west).

As for the M3, I've found the disabled loo freely accessible at both Fleet and Winchester. There's also a Shell garage just off the motorway at the A34 junction (on the road into the industrial estate) which has a loo (and a coffee machine).

HumanFly said:
Changing Places are not really for able-bodied incontinent adults but for people who need a hoist to lift them onto either the toilet or the changing table. If you use one when you can change standing you could be depriving someone in real need.
While I wouldn’t see it as appropriate to use one as a non-incontinent nappy wearer, if you are incontinent and just find it easier to change your nappy lying down I think you’re more than entitled to use it. You do have a genuine need in that case.

Reactions: Diprs2, IncontinentBro, Furrytum and 1 other person
HumanFly said:

As for services, the four stations nearest London (Heston, Reading, Chieveley and Membury) are all Moto stations and they all require RADAR keys for the disabled loo. You can buy these from Incontinence Choice; I'm not sure if you need to prove need for them. The petrol station is often separately managed, however, and you don't need a key for the disabled toilet in the petrol stations at Reading (east or west).

As for the M3, I've found the disabled loo freely accessible at both Fleet and Winchester. There's also a Shell garage just off the motorway at the A34 junction (on the road into the industrial estate) which has a loo (and a coffee machine).
I'm not in the UK so correct me if I'm wrong here. But aren't disabled toilets there for more than just laying down to change a diaper? They provide more manuvering space, more provacy, and better trash receptacles too. Any one of those is reason enough to use them if you need to change a diaper isn't it?

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm all in for letting those with a bigger need or greater disability to have first and foremost priority. Yet they are there for everyone a need great and small. Even if that's just our smaller (pun intended) psychological need as part of being a dl.

ChocChip said:
While I wouldn’t see it as appropriate to use one as a non-incontinent nappy wearer, if you are incontinent and just find it easier to change your nappy lying down I think you’re more than entitled to use it. You do have a genuine need in that case.
Not to mention the extra privacy these can provide. And although, that is not a physical need, it is an emotional as it helps with keeping some of your dignity. That's the main reason I use the disabled loos to change in public.

I’ve used the disabled before just as there’s never any bins in the men’s toilet

Reactions: Diprs2, Teddy02 and babybigdiaper
HumanFly said:

Sorry, we in the USA aren't used to specific "changing places", so I keep on equating them to the few "family restrooms" we do have around here. Ours might have a powered lift table, but probably not. Most are just enlarged single person restrooms with a few extra amenities (such as more room, privacy, etc). If they really are made specifically for the most severely of the disabled then yeah I agree, someone with a physical or psychological need for diapers on their own should only be using something along the lines of family restrooms.

I have only seen one powered lift table to help change people with a physical disability or older child it would be great if they became more available, but I am noticing more and more bathroom stalls handicapped or family bathrooms no longer even have coat hangers to keep your clothes or backpack off the floor

Last edited:
Where I have to go if I need assistance due to cerebral palsy conditions to change a diaper during my trip around Florida? Any changing places / hospitals / rehabilitation centres?

Back