Psyllium Husk Recipes

ronnieM

Professional Baby, 24/7
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Whether you just need a little extra fiber to stay normal or are trying to fiber bulk, we can all agree that psyllium husk/metamucil/other fiber powders are pretty nasty.

The trick to getting enough fiber in the day is finding a way to put this powder into your foods without it being a hassle or tasting/feeling bad. Of course, you still have to supplement it with the appropriate amount of fluid intake, otherwise you can create problems for yourself.

I plan to make more in the future, but I have one main good (and easy) recipe for getting psyllium husk down-

The PPB&J Sandwich (Psyllium-Peanut Butter & Jelly)

Get your bread, peanut (or other nut) butter, and jelly, and use a separate dish to put the peanut butter into. Do not apply it to the bread yet. Mix in a generous amount of psyllium husk powder gradually until the you get the desired taste and consistency. You do not have to dial in the taste perfectly - The jelly and bread will overpower the taste of the fiber, so you can go a little heavier on it than if you were just eating the butter alone. The butter will become more rigid, but do not let it get too rigid or dry, as it is possible to put an unsafe amount of husk in. Once you feel that enough fiber has been added, get your knife and spread the homogenous mixture onto your bread and continue making the sandwich as usual. If you feel like you need EVEN MORE fiber, use bread that is high in fiber, like some whole wheat brands, and/or sprinkle a little bit more husk powder on the butter (as a topping) before adding jelly. Don't overdo it though, otherwise powder will be dropping/flying out of the sandwich as you're trying to eat it.

Just made one myself with untoasted butterbread, grape jelly, generic psyllium husk powder, and creamy peanut butter, and it came out rather well. The taste and texture isn't far off from a normal sandwich, and the peanut butter itself with the fiber tastes/feels sort of like an unprocessed/homemade peanut butter. It's really good.

Have any recipes of your own that add easily add fiber into a dish? I'd love to hear them and I'll probably be adding more of my own soon.

Back