PSA: The Secret to Escaping WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zeit

I'd been trying to get off WoW after re-subscribing for the 2nd time last january and after so much hardship, I finally managed to do it.

The secret is to log onto a free server and play it for 45 minutes. I guarantee that within that time you'll reach 70, have full epic gear/mount and be running Black Temple. After seeing what the game is at the end really destroys the illusion of it. Makes you realize just how much time you've wasted going from 1-70 and running the same instance 14 times for a gear-drop.

For further reading, I'd suggest anything off of http://www.wowdetox.com

If anyone has any advice, please add to the thread. You might save a life!

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Yeah, that's what I unfortunately did with Morrowind. It's just so darn tempting to open up the command console and turn yourself into a super-strong vampire d00d with the best crap around, and cast spells that kill everything and everyone in a 50-yard radius! It's so hard to start up again with your mediocre piece of crap level 20-35 character again.

I did eventually figure out that it wasn't that hard to progress and there's a lot of good story behind it but when you finish a game as massive and long as that, it seems boring and a chore (hi Kraiden) to do it again!

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Wow(pun?), seriously this thread really screws those of us who aren't addicted(some may call denial, but I will explain myself. I play WoW a lot, I'll admit it, BUT since I started I no longer watch TV anymore, and my grades actually went up(have/had people in my guild who I can get HW help on who are majors in almost every subject) and I have fun in the process, just because you do something a lot, does not mean you are addicted. And to the private server suggestion, I LIKE PROGRESSION! If you think 'oh hey this is boring have everything in 45 minutes' think, it takes you MONTHS to get to that point, and when you do it' satisfying seeing that you accomplished that and had FUN in the process.

Seriously, stop making this look like the spawn of satan.....

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I've got quite a few friends that I used to play EverQuest with who play, so I really tried to like it. First time, I think I played two months, and the second I was able to make it for three. Not a bad game, but it just doesn't keep my interest, which is all to the good for my free time.

Z

Zeit

Seriously, stop making this look like the spawn of satan.....
I"m not at all saying it is, in fact it was lots of fun when I had a better job and it fit into my schedule but the problem with addiction is it totally screws with your ability to moderate your game time. If you've got the time and can manage a social life along with then keep at it. For my situation, I wanted to quit but was having a hard time going about doing it with my guild always wanting me to run with them.

The 45 minutes thing... I just found the endgame result to be really over-hyped. Sure if you've seriously played and you've earned your gear/mount then you'll appreciate it more then if you got it in 45 minutes but at the same time, take away your 15-25 days of playtime and what do you have?

That's my opinion anyway... this coming from a person who earned his 70 Troll Shammy and 47 Blood Elf Warlock the real way.

Role
I"m not at all saying it is, in fact it was lots of fun when I had a better job and it fit into my schedule but the problem with addiction is it totally screws with your ability to moderate your game time. If you've got the time and can manage a social life along with then keep at it. For my situation, I wanted to quit but was having a hard time going about doing it with my guild always wanting me to run with them.

The 45 minutes thing... I just found the endgame result to be really over-hyped. Sure if you've seriously played and you've earned your gear/mount then you'll appreciate it more then if you got it in 45 minutes but at the same time, take away your 15-25 days of playtime and what do you have?

That's my opinion anyway... this coming from a person who earned his 70 Troll Shammy and 47 Blood Elf Warlock the real way.

All im going to say is, I have around 60 days played on my paladin, and I have a fully functional life.

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
i had 220 days logged on FFXI before i got banned :-\ and then maybe 30 days on WoW before i found eve, and then 14 days (two week free trial baby) before i realized that i would rather be out with friends.

then i stopped playing them all together :-\

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
i had 220 days logged on FFXI before i got banned :-\ and then maybe 30 days on WoW before i found eve, and then 14 days (two week free trial baby) before i realized that i would rather be out with friends.

then i stopped playing them all together :-\
Yeah, I always get antisocial when I find a really fun game. That's why I play free games or non-subscribe ones - you can find a balance. Can't always be out with friends!

Edit: Post 365! That's roughly a year! And this edit makes it 365.25!

Role
Diaper Lover
I'm only level 62 I've had it since Christmas of '06.

I'm not addicted, I wish I could stay addicted long enough to level, but I can't.

Running instances at 60 levels you like crazy, just do that and it won't take so much time to go 60-70.

All my friends have WoW, I have other friends outside these, but these are the ones I hang out with the majority of the time. WoW does not negatively effect my social life. I didn't have a big one to begin with! I play for the PvP, I want to dominate once I hit 70. This is why I'm joining the Warhammer, delayed until Fall. But by then maybe I'll have cable. I can't wait for that, Warhammer will beat the ass off of WoW and its PvP, regardless of The Lich king!

NOW WHO IS SWITCHING MMO's WITH ME?

Role
I'm only level 62 I've had it since Christmas of '06.

I'm not addicted, I wish I could stay addicted long enough to level, but I can't.

Running instances at 60 levels you like crazy, just do that and it won't take so much time to go 60-70.

All my friends have WoW, I have other friends outside these, but these are the ones I hang out with the majority of the time. WoW does not negatively effect my social life. I didn't have a big one to begin with! I play for the PvP, I want to dominate once I hit 70. This is why I'm joining the Warhammer, delayed until Fall. But by then maybe I'll have cable. I can't wait for that, Warhammer will beat the ass off of WoW and its PvP, regardless of The Lich king!

NOW WHO IS SWITCHING MMO's WITH ME?
All have tried, all have failed, warhammer will be stricken to the ground by the might of prince Arathas Menethil himself, none shall be spared when his reign is relesed onto the unsuspecting players! His wrath shall fall unto warhammer and will cause a great sundering of the nerds, that of which has not been seen since 40 years when the greats ones, Sir Luke Walker, and Captain Jean-Luc Picard took unto them, their own following and created the great nerd war that too this very day still rages at sci-fi cons across the world!

Avocadoy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You might think it is glorious, but fun is loosely termed from player to player.

My term of fun is going into a raid with 24 other competent people, trying to progress so we can get to that next step, to get to the next goal.

When you jump to light speed and say, "ELLO ILLIKINS TIME TO DIE CAUSE I HAVE YOUR GEAR FROM SOME VENDOR LOLOLOL" you missed Serpentshrine Cavern, Tempest Keep, Mount Hyjal.

You're missing those fights that -prepare- you for those fights in Black Temple, and soon Sun Well.

Private Servers can be fun, but after many attempts, it just reminds me, "This isn't WoW, this is a poor excuse."

Oh well, I'm just a PvE elitist jerk.

Role
You might think it is glorious, but fun is loosely termed from player to player.

My term of fun is going into a raid with 24 other competent people, trying to progress so we can get to that next step, to get to the next goal.

When you jump to light speed and say, "ELLO ILLIKINS TIME TO DIE CAUSE I HAVE YOUR GEAR FROM SOME VENDOR LOLOLOL" you missed Serpentshrine Cavern, Tempest Keep, Mount Hyjal.

You're missing those fights that -prepare- you for those fights in Black Temple, and soon Sun Well.

Private Servers can be fun, but after many attempts, it just reminds me, "This isn't WoW, this is a poor excuse."

Oh well, I'm just a PvE elitist jerk.
I'm the same way, I basicly insult people who use PvP wellfare epics in PvE, PvE FTW, PvP is sorta ftl...

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I played WoW briefly. I had friends who played it, and I figured I should see what all the fuss was about. So... I started.
I levelled very fast (49 within a few weeks) due to getting lots of advice from wow-related websites, and being given 3 12-slot backpacks by a RL friend when I started. I played a ShadowPriest designed around the principle of face-melting (direct single target damage) and usefulness to my group (healing everyone via VE, using the odd PW:S, casting huge amount of DoTs, etc). I never really did PvP, but I was sorely tempted to do so when anyone told me "priests are for healing, not damage!". That, and the fact I took it too seriously, where what ruined the fun for me.
Most of the people playing seem to be teenagers who don't treat other players with much respect, or even know how to type whole words. The number of single-word requests I got was surprising. "heal?", "rez?", "gold?", "portal?", etc. Mages will understand. You guys always get asked for food and drink... well, priests are the same, except we can get asked for rezzes, heals, buffs, dispels, damage *and* shielding. I actually quite like helping people, but it does annoy me when I'm doing my best to heal a group using VE, and one player seems to think that because my attention is on him, he can use all his best aggro-grabbing abilities and just assume that I will decide to keep him alive. Priests aren't robots. We like to help but there is polite teamwork, and then there is attempting to exploit the priest. It got so bad at one point that I would stay in Shadowform all the time, except when rezzing people to recover from rare wipes. This made it abundantly clear that I could not and would not heal anyone using holy spells. This made some people upset, crying "priests are for healing, not damage!", but I suspect that they were just jealous, as I was usually had the largest DPS output of my group, in addition to doing significant passive healing due to VE.

I enjoyed it a bit, but I tended to treat it took much like a job (as with everything I do). After awhile, I realized that I was spending too much time on WoW, and, while highly successful there, I wasn't giving enough attention to my other projects.

So, I sold everything my account owned, gave the proceeds to my guild as a thank you for helping me, told them I was leaving forever, signed off and set my account not to rebill. Technically I could have come back, but everyone thought I was gone forever, and I had no stuff, so I stuck with it and indeed, never did go back.

I can see how WoW is addicting. If you want to quit as I did, you really need to go cold turkey with it. Sell or give away all your stuff, leave all your guilds, cancel your account, remove all references to WoW from your bookmarks, desktop, friends list, etc. If you only talk to certain people because of WoW, stop talking to them. If you have friends who play WoW a little, ask them not to mention anything WoW-related to you. Physically destroy your WoW CDs and uninstall it from your PC. Do a file search on your hard disk and delete anything related to WoW.
In essence, make sure every trace of it is destroyed from your life.
Have a nice meal to congratulate yourself on starting, then find a new hobby. Preferably one you enjoy but which is unrelated to WoW.
If you've lost a lot of friends from quitting WoW, think about your other hobbies and go to the places where people interested in those other hobbies hang out. This will help you make new friends.

Most of all, look to the future. Have goals. Know what you want out of life. If you don't know what you want, it is easy to get sidetracked on protracted wastes of time like WoW.
If you know what you want, you aren't as prone to wasting time. I've figured out that my RL and OL projects are more important to me than WoW.
You might decide that getting a college place, or graduating University, is more important to you. Whatever it is, find that thing and hang on to it - it will give you the strength to quit WoW when you need to.

Avocadoy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm the same way, I basicly insult people who use PvP wellfare epics in PvE, PvE FTW, PvP is sorta ftl...
You sir, are now my buddy.

Go go restodruid in S3 and going OOM in 5 casts because he has no spirit.

Then again, in a PvP environment, they WON'T DIE

Role
You sir, are now my buddy.

Go go restodruid in S3 and going OOM in 5 casts because he has no spirit.

Then again, in a PvP environment, they WON'T DIE
Yeah I have no problem with PvP items in PvP, but in all honesty it should have just stayed to raiders get good gear and all the terribad scrubs who talk crap then get there face beat in stay in blues and greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.