Protecting your skin

IcyBlue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I’m excited to hear what everyone uses to protect their skin health.
What products do you use for being diapered, after showering and if a rash occurs?
Is there a strong fragrance that may put you in little space?
I personally use “Curash nappy rash cream”or “Sudocrem” for the main areas, “Bepanthen nappy rash ointment” for the sensitive areas and “Curash anti-rash powder” along the outer edges of the leak guards as the diaper is laid out ready to put on.

Reactions: jessicalondon

winterheart01

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
I use mainly pure unscented talcum powder, no cream, during the day because the creams ruin the leak guards.
When I have a rash (from the contact of urine) I use Inotyol, which is a very old sturdy zinc oxide cream here with 15% zinc oxide, also used for bedsore wounds on bedridden patients. It's very hard to get off the skin with wipes so you really need to wash it off.

When I have a yeast rash (been a long time since I had that) I use Daktarin paste.

When I have a heat rash (in the areas on the inside of the legs and in the fold where the leak guards chafe) I apply a Elocom cream which is a prescription based steroid cream. To reduce the need I also use Daktarin (do not confuse this name with the previous mentiond Daktozin ;) ) powder.

For regular protection during nighttime I use Pannoc zinc oxide cream which is a huge 1Kg jar with 10% zinc oxide and no perfume or other cosmetic additives.

Bryle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Sometimes vasoline and usually Desitin

Reactions: ReluctantAdult

Dragon64

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I just use powder

Reactions: ReluctantAdult

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Lately I have had very sensitive skin down there and about 18 months ago went for a period of about 3 months where I was just constantly getting a rash all over down there no matter how clean I kept it or what I used to clear it or even when I stopped using nappies.

I have been using Childs Farm moistureising cream to keep things moisturised down there when the skins starts to feel dry but thinking of trying a different lotion as I'm not keen on the grapefruit scent and I'm sure there are better lotions. Occasionally if I know I'm going to poop I might rub a little baby oil around the back to keep it from sticking so much and make cleanup easier.

When there is no visible rash if I start getting a little itchy (which happens a lot overnight when I am no longer moving around) I wil use Eurax just to stop the itch so I don't keep scratching and damage the skin causing a rash. Funny side effect of this is that as it starts to sink in it seems to warm the area (a little like capcaisin cream but not so hot) which is actually quite a pleasant sensation.

I have been making plans and gethering supplies to wear much more frequently (using cloth mostly) and so I have picked up some Bepanthen ointment as a barrier cream that can be used as part of the normal cleaning and changing routine.

I tend to use sudocrem if I notice redness or a rash starting to form but not yet becoming a problem as sudocrem is a healing cream that is not really supposed to be used every time (especially on healthy skin) though I know many who do so without problems so it should be ok.

If I have a really severe rash then Metanium is the goto. This stuff works absolute miracles. but again you definitely don't want to be using it if you don't actually have a heavy rash.

As far as powder is concerned I found Johnsons baby powder tends to dry my skin out too much and make it flaky but did discover Cuticura mildly medicated body powder which was wonderful stuff to use when I was going through the period of prolonged rash it really made a difference to how it felt and seemed to reduce the rash really well.

I only tend to use a tiny amount of powder to dry myself off though. I find most people (especially in the ABDL community) go way overboard and use it far to much for completely the wrong reasons.

Powder for babies was originally created at a time when cloth diapering was the only option and even disposable wet wipes didn't exist so the only option you had to clean a childs bum was either cotton wool or a small wash cloth dampened in water to actually wash the area.
This would leave water on the skin and while you could pat a baby dry with another cloth, too much vigorous drying like this can damage their soft skin, so you would sprinkle a small amount of powder into your hand and gently rub down the baby with that to remove moisture and dry them before putting a diaper back on.

If you can still see powder or blow on the skin and see powder flying off into the air you have used far too much, yet I see and hear all the time about people just sprinkling it all over the diaper and crotch area often in large amounts and then closing the diaper on top, this is a great way to damage the skin, invite bacteria, cause a rash and reduce the efficiency of the diaper. But if an adult wants to do this to themselves for whatever reason then that's up to them, though it may cause more deterioration of the skin in the long term making them more prone to rashes down the line.

Reactions: IcyBlue

winterheart01

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
Belarin said:
As far as powder is concerned I found Johnsons baby powder tends to dry my skin out too much and make it flaky but did discover Cuticura mildly medicated body powder which was wonderful stuff to use when I was going through the period of prolonged rash it really made a difference to how it felt and seemed to reduce the rash really well.

I only tend to use a tiny amount of powder to dry myself off though. I find most people (especially in the ABDL community) go way overboard and use it far to much for completely the wrong reasons.

Powder for babies was originally created at a time when cloth diapering was the only option and even disposable wet wipes didn't exist so the only option you had to clean a childs bum was either cotton wool or a small wash cloth dampened in water to actually wash the area.
This would leave water on the skin and while you could pat a baby dry with another cloth, too much vigorous drying like this can damage their soft skin, so you would sprinkle a small amount of powder into your hand and gently rub down the baby with that to remove moisture and dry them before putting a diaper back on.

If you can still see powder or blow on the skin and see powder flying off into the air you have used far too much, yet I see and hear all the time about people just sprinkling it all over the diaper and crotch area often in large amounts and then closing the diaper on top, this is a great way to damage the skin, invite bacteria, cause a rash and reduce the efficiency of the diaper. But if an adult wants to do this to themselves for whatever reason then that's up to them, though it may cause more deterioration of the skin in the long term making them more prone to rashes down the line.
In my case, lots of powder is a must, the doctor actually said I must try to keep my skin dry as much as possible (and I'm not talking about the area that gets in contact with urine, but between there and the inside of the legs) , hence the daktarin powder against yeast infections and heat rash.
I sweat a lot and fast, powdering the skin first is a must, adding rash cream after if needed then follows. Otherwise, a good chuck of powder will keep me good.
I had a pretty severe skin infection there post-surgery (endoscopic) and I don't ever want to go through that again.
Every time I sweat or when it's hot I start to develop heat rash in the previous mentioned regions.

As I said many times before, people consider talcum powder to be a great evil but only because many abused it , they didn't apply it on the hands and then rub it onto the skin, instead they just chugged it on their child's skin, causing dust clouds which are harmful.
Also lotions have too much perfumes in it which irritate the skin, only use lotion if the skin is so dry it starts to flake off.

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I agree that talcum powder in some cases is a must have, if you are highly prone to rashes you need to keep the area dry. However still using too much powder would be worse than using none at all as large clumps of powder would absorb sweat and urine and become a damp paste, while this may mean that moisture is not directly on your skin those clumps of paste are the perfect breeding ground for the bacteria and yeasts that cause rashes and they are still rubbing against your skin with a gritty texture a little like sand paper chaffing and creating damaging enough for the bacteria to get in.

IcyBlue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I use only a very light sprinkle of talc along the leak guards as an extra barrier so that there is an extra barrier along the edge of the diaper. It’s a random thing I found once and its worked much better than putting it directly on my skin.
In summer I do go overboard with it to keep my underwear and socks from chafing and getting sweat soaked too fast as work.
The only thing I notice is what they call “powder mud” when I’ve used too much talc. The Johnson Johnson talc seems to be lower grade and less fine powder which meant I had to use more.
That’s why I use the Curash talc. It’s super fine and seems to get into the pores of the skin much better giving me lasting dryness reducing chafing.

Rita

Padded Rita
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Baby Powders & Lotion differently is needed along with keeping your self nice & clean the best you can when you change !!!