proposed rule for IRC

does this rule sound like a good idea to you?

• yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • no

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
on topic: in both of the situations i'm aware of, the mods were given full background information about why the information was private, and yet still chose not to act. in one situation the mods chose to just sit back and "wait to see how the situation developed," with the result that a friend of mine had to endure watching his name and his family slandered in public on an almost daily basis for several weeks. it made his life miserable, and came very close to driving him out of the community. i think we can all agree that's not the sort of environment we want to cultivate.
Would you mind telling me - in private or the requests forum, obviously - when that happened and to whom? I am not aware of any such thing having happened in the past, so I must have either been absent or haven't been informed of such things.
As the other mods said: If you have a problem with a user, talk to a moderator - in person, and immediately! There's no point in saying you've been "harrassed and abused for weeks" when only you and some of your close friends in the channel may be aware of it. In yesterday's case I wasn't aware of the specific relationship between the two parties involved simply because they are 8-9 hours back compared to my own time zome and they are mostly active when I'm unconsciously lying in my bed. Doesn't make it easier to judge a situation. And for the record: I did not "sit back and wait and see" - I talked to the offensive party, and he agreed to leave.

Peachy

Role
Private
Simple: If a person deems information about themselves to be private, then by all means they should be entitled to that privacy.

I don't think we need another rule, per se, just more or less a duty to report what *may* be private information to the person it pertains. If they feel that what is being said is personal and private, then they should take it up with the appropriate authority. Of course, save the hassle, if the person themself is there, then they can decide right then and there if the information being divulged is private.

Rules are made to be broken... and if it's happened twice, then no doubt it's going to happen again. Spare everyone the effort of a new rule and enforce the ideal that if information is being given out that could be considered personal and private, then it should be a duty to outline the situation to the person that the information is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.