Pronunciation of incontinence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I've always heard it said In-con-tin-ints (en making an "in" sound)

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
in-con-tin-inse

although I used to pronounce it...

in-con-tense

After an embarrasing call, I finally realized I was pronouncing it wrong! :p

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Ok, so it's In-con-tin-inse

but how about In-con-ten-ance (but that's with a "boston super-ego accent").

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'm sure that it doesn't matter how you pronounce that last "ence" part...It's not like you're going around telling everyone, and it's not a test, so just say it how you think you should...I say it...With both "ence" and "ince"...I'm trying to see how I say it, but now I'm confusing myself :(

D

daria7483

I probably pronounce the last part with an "ence" sound. I'm sure it's a regional thing, just like some people pronounce "aunt" so that it rhymes with "taunt" and other people pronounce it like "ant." Or CAR-mel versus "car-a-mel." (My dad and stepmother were horrified to hear me say car-mel once in a coffee shop, they said this was an uneducated white trash way to say it and that if I said that on a job interview it could cost me the job.)

When I first came across the word "incontinence" and had never heard it spoken before, for some reason I thought it was pronounced "incontinuance" and one day I said that out loud and my mom laughed at me.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
For proper pronunciation:
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
in·con·ti·nence (ĭn-kŏn'tə-nəns) Pronunciation Key
n. The quality or state of being incontinent.

To hear the proper pronunciation go to incontinence - Definitions from Dictionary.com scroll about halfway down the page and click on the 'speaker' in the second definition (see above) of the word incontinence.

B

baby kiffer

Uggh...

Toe-may-toe....Toe-mah-toe

In-con-tin-ence...In-con-tin-ance

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Me knows proper phonetic symbols so there! (I am a language geek)

IPA : ɪn.ˈkɒn.tɪn.əns

X-Sampa : In.'[email protected]

That would be in-CON-tin-ens for most of you out there.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
In-con-ti-nince for me..

And I pronounce Tomato: toe-may-toe; potato: po-ta-to; aluminum: Alu-mi-num; and centrifugal: cen-trif-agal.

You brits may know those last two as "alu-min-ium", and "cen-tra-few-gal" :D

teddy564339

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I've always thought about how you pronounce "continents"...you know, like North America or Europe and all of those. And then just put "in" at the front.

So, that means technically, we're all incontinent, since we're all "in" a "continent". :p :p :p

That also reminds me of a joke I came up with a while ago:

A six year old boy comes home from school. His mom asks him "How was school today?" He responds "It was ok...except that my teacher called me incontinent today."

"What?!" his mom asks. "Why did she say that?"

"Well, she said that I don't listen, and that I can't read or do math or anything that she taught us..."

"Oh!" his mom said. "You mean she said you were INCOMPETENT. I guess that's just about as bad..."

I know...silly and not very good, but I did come up with it myself. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.