Pronunciation: ABENA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiro910

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
Spanish: ah-beh-nah (Abena in spanish meals oatmeal).
English: a-bee-na (As it has already been said). :)

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I call it A-leg-row, but that's just me. :dunno:
But I suppose Charlie's pronunciation is better.

DLGrif

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
No preference. I think both pronunciations sound forced.

Spiro910

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
You got it wrong. In Spanish its Ah-ben-O. How could you mess that up?

I don't really know if you meant that as a joke or what, but I'm the Mexican here... Spanish has been my native language all my life, I think I'd know how to pronounce a word. (Only thing I got wrong is the B/V on the oatmeal thing, other than that the word is pronounced Ah-Ben-Ah).

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
LOL ! ! ! I thought it was just me. Its an awkward word. I'll take catty's answer since he he went to the source. Uh-bean-uh. Works for me!

dangermouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
As a Brit I see it as UH-BEE-NUH, emphasising the E, not stressing the A as a brash American "Aay" but "Uh".

Then again I don't really know them as Abena anyway, they're Abri-Form, as that's what the European ones tend to be known as ;). Just that Abena make them.

HappyNappin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
This is daft but ive always called them Albena, i misread the name in a review and saw it as one i knew, i soon found it was spelt without the "L" but i still pronounce it like that - ALL-BEN-AH - heck i know its wrong but old habits die hard ae
Oh and for any one who wondered Albena is a bulgarian resort town on the black sea ive been there many times, hence why the name was familiar to me

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I pronounce it closest to uh-BEH-nuh

Stressing the sound at the start sounds weird to me, and putting an 'ee' sound in the middle just makes me think of Ribena for some reason. I often pronounce vowels differently to most English speaking people when I see new words. I have gotten used to the international phonetic alphabet where the five 'basic' vowel letters mean what they mean in most other european languages, instead of English.

With long vowels at any rate, English is an odd one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.