Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
So, anyone like programming? If so, what flavour? C++, VB, Java, C#, Haskell?

If you like programming, what kind of projects are you working on? Are you interested in doing a group project? Any areas of study you want to educate yourself in?

Personally, I like C++ and I'm currently trying to write my own programming language. It's very hard, but that's partly because I'm very picky about how it's structured. I also enjoy studying graphics, metaprogramming and physics.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Sure, I program all the time. (Actually, I happen to hold a CS degree). Personally I tend to use C, C++, and Python, though have worked with a number of others.

If you're looking to create your own language I'd recommend reading the Dragon Book.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Learning Java and Python right now.

Defining objects and classes in Java is a b!tch.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yes, I'd agree. I've had to use Java a number of times, and really I find it kind of clunky. But, Python rocks. If you have the choice, use python :twocents:.

Role
Yes, I'd agree. I've had to use Java a number of times, and really I find it kind of clunky. But, Python rocks. If you have the choice, use python :twocents:.
Python is a side project, im learning Java for computer science at school.

kevintje

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I do some little programming sometimes... most of it in VB (sometimes even QuickBasic lol!), if you count in webprogramming, I also do PHP and CSS

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Yep, I do quite a bit now especially. Atom Basic...

But also a lot of other stuff. (VB, PHP, Ti-Basic, bit of JScript/JavaScript)

And I'm busy with a project of my own right now.

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur
Well I've always wanted to do a bit of programming, but I've never really got round to it. I did try some javascript once, but I never put much effort into learning it and forgot most of it.

Some of the universities I wanna go to let you do modules from other subjects in the first and second years, so I might do that a study computer science for a bit.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Sure, I program all the time. (Actually, I happen to hold a CS degree). Personally I tend to use C, C++, and Python, though have worked with a number of others.

If you're looking to create your own language I'd recommend reading the Dragon Book.
Cool, I'm downloading a copy of it now. The second edition, that is.

Now I don't have a CS degree, and likely won't get one, but I do hope to give myself an equivalent education.

Ben

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I know C/C++, and some perl... I need to learn java at some point. Also would like to learn python.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Once upon a time I was quite good in Turbo Pascal. *looks around* Anyone old enough to remember that? Nobody? :confused:

Peachy

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I know pretty much a little of python and a little of PHP. But nothing else really. I got two books on those that I have just started to read. At the moment I am spending my time studying for my A-levels. To get the grades to get taught C, Python, Assembly and all sorts of other useful languages.

But Common, Assembly is where it is at!

As for Turbo Pascal Peachy? I have heard of it. But have no idea what it does. E.g. Interpreted etc...

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I am currently learning how to program with BlitzPlus, a form of BASIC.

Role
Once upon a time I was quite good in Turbo Pascal. *looks around* Anyone old enough to remember that? Nobody? :confused:

Peachy
I think the physics teacher at my school coded in that,,,,in the 80's o_O

B

Borkd

So, anyone like programming? If so, what flavour? C++, VB, Java, C#, Haskell?

If you like programming, what kind of projects are you working on? Are you interested in doing a group project? Any areas of study you want to educate yourself in?

Personally, I like C++ and I'm currently trying to write my own programming language. It's very hard, but that's partly because I'm very picky about how it's structured. I also enjoy studying graphics, metaprogramming and physics.
I've had the most experience with C++, C#, C++\CLR, Boo, Javascript and GLSL and Cg. I've dabbled around with JRuby and Actionscript, and a while ago I was a big ColdFusion geek. I can pretty much learn any language in a few hours though, C++ will do that to you.

RIght now I'm working on a multi-threaded game engine that uses ORGE and the XNA in some C# but mostly C++\CLR (.NET), and uses Boo (.NET) as the scripting language.

A group project would be awesome. I have experience writing compilers, so if you're interested in designing a new language with some help I'm game. I have way too much free time.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Lulz. Calculator programs ftw!

All I know is HTML. D:

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've had the most experience with C++, C#, C++\CLR, Boo, Javascript and GLSL and Cg. I've dabbled around with JRuby and Actionscript, and a while ago I was a big ColdFusion geek. I can pretty much learn any language in a few hours though, C++ will do that to you.

RIght now I'm working on a multi-threaded game engine that uses ORGE and the XNA in some C# but mostly C++\CLR (.NET), and uses Boo (.NET) as the scripting language.
That's really cool, and you're only 17! I'm impressed.

A group project would be awesome. I have experience writing compilers, so if you're interested in designing a new language with some help I'm game. I have way too much free time.
That's cool, maybe you can help me with my language. I think my biggest problem is that my approach is kind of doing it the very hard way. Maybe you can offer some insight. We should chat.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Maybe this isn't the right way to be doing this, but I'm writing my type system first, language sytnax second. I want a very rich type and type analysis system before I decide on the syntax to best serve that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.