Profile Privacy Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Private
Hey... I just logged out to see if profile privacy options were still in place. I set mine to VIPs or above before the forum was updated, but now I can view my profile whilst logged out.

Don't know if it's still recognising that it's me through whatever means, but yeah... I don't see any option in the User CP either, so I can only guess that gone. Unless I'm missing something, I usually tend to miss stuff like this. >_<

E

Error404

Hey... I just logged out to see if profile privacy options were still in place. I set mine to VIPs or above before the forum was updated, but now I can view my profile whilst logged out.

Don't know if it's still recognising that it's me through whatever means, but yeah... I don't see any option in the User CP either, so I can only guess that gone. Unless I'm missing something, I usually tend to miss stuff like this. >_<

I didn't see the option either buddy, I think you can make it completely private in the mean time though. Lemme check then I'll edit this post real quick.

Just had a thorough look, and the only real options I could find were ones regarding personal messages within your thread.

Role
Private
I didn't see the option either buddy, I think you can make it completely private in the mean time though. Lemme check then I'll edit this post real quick.

Just had a thorough look, and the only real options I could find were ones regarding personal messages within your thread.
Blah, thanks for double-checking that. :)

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think moo said in the other thread that only 18 or so people were using it so he didn't bring it back.

I would personally love to have it back, I had it set to friends only. There are things in my profile, even as small as my IM details that I'd rather have only available to my friends, not anyone who decides to look at my profile.

Role
Private
I think moo said in the other thread that only 18 or so people were using it so he didn't bring it back.

I would personally love to have it back, I had it set to friends only. There are things in my profile, even as small as my IM details that I'd rather have only available to my friends, not anyone who decides to look at my profile.
I feel the same way...

It's not that I had much private information in there, but more or less about having a bit of control over who gets to view it, the IM details especially. Yeah, I've got them in my profile so people can add me freely, but I'd prefer it greatly if it wasn't someone who's only been on the forum for a day or so. Chances are, I usually block these people after a little while anyway.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
It's not coming back? Damn!
I don't want just anybody looking at profile and contact stuff...

I would have thought privacy settings on profiles would be a standard part of the forum software. :(

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
It's not coming back? Damn!
I don't want just anybody looking at profile and contact stuff...

I would have thought privacy settings on profiles would be a standard part of the forum software. :(
They are, just not individually.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
if we're not going to be able to choose who can and can't view our profiles, perhaps all profiles should be set to regulars-only. that's the way it was before moo installed the privacy settings mod, and it seemed sensible.

i certainly don't think guests, newbies, and most of all google should be able to view profiles.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Meh. I'm removing my email, I don't want random creeps to add me. >.>

On second thought, I think I'll just leave it, it seems fun to speak to those kinds of people.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Not 18. More like 8. Or 6.

If you don't want people viewing your IM details... don't put them in your profile. Instead, put in something like 'I have AIM/Yahoo/MSN/whatever, ask for details'. Then they will PM you and ask, and you can choose on an individual basis if you give them out or not.

There are some global settings, but nothing like the privacy settings I added for you.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Oh wow, Moo, I was wayy off! :p

That is fine then, I could remove them, or mod. info so it's just pretty vague. Thanks, Moo. :)

E

Error404

Well, call me arrogant, but, I would rather have the option to go fully private and not use it than not have it at all and need it, yes?

Better safe than sorry if the need ever arises.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
But at the same time I guess we have to see Moos point of view. When there are a lot of other things that need done, why waste time to fix something for 6 or 8 people, instead of something that most of us will use.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm not sure there should be a setting of VIP's/Regulars/Newbies/etc. As much as I like rep, sometimes one's rep total does not reflect the true quality of their contributions to our board. Soooo, maybe whether one is a VIP or reg shouldn't have any bearing on being able to shut them out.

:shrug:

E

Error404

But at the same time I guess we have to see Moos point of view. When there are a lot of other things that need done, why waste time to fix something for 6 or 8 people, instead of something that most of us will use.
I completely agree actually, I understand the pressures of being an administrator, but security matters to me alot, being a security geek.

Either way, if Moo ever needs help, I'm up for it. Let's get the community in tone and happy first, then we can deal with each problem one step at a time. ^_^

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i find it hard to believe that only 6 or 8 people had their profiles set to something other than "public." in fact, most of the people i know on here had it set to either "regulars only," "VIPs only" or "buddies only."

i think most of us care about restricting access to our profiles. if we're not going to be able to customize access, we should at least be able to rest assured that lurkers and newbies aren't able to see our personal info. would it be difficult to set all profiles to regulars-only?

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
i find it hard to believe that only 6 or 8 people had their profiles set to something other than "public." in fact, most of the people i know on here had it set to either "regulars only," "VIPs only" or "buddies only."

i think most of us care about restricting access to our profiles. if we're not going to be able to customize access, we should at least be able to rest assured that lurkers and newbies aren't able to see our personal info. would it be difficult to set all profiles to regulars-only?
Check your UserCP. The option to control who can see your profile is back. The option to control who can see your IM details isn't back, because it requires a lot more custom work than that one does. But maybe I'll install it in future. Maybe.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
The option to control who can see your profile is back.
yay! thanks moo!

i notice that it's set to public by default. folks who don't want guests to see their profile should be sure to go in and change it.

E

Error404

Thanks! I already set it to Regulars+. It will be used and is being used already.

Great work! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.