Product Placement - Favorite Movies

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
What's your favorite movies with product placement like Raising Arizona, and Three Men and a Baby?

Hands-down 'Mac and Me', the ULTIMATE product placement movie.

For those unaware, 'Mac and Me' is a 1988 rip-off of 'E.T.' about a wacky alien who lands on Earth and befriends a boy in a wheelchair. The film itself is already a great slice of so-bad-it's-good cheese, but what really sends it over the edge is some of the most blatant product placement ever put in a movie: the aliens like to eat Skittles. The aliens need to drink Coca-Cola to survive. Most importantly, there is an inexplicable dance scene set inside a McDonald's, featuring Ronald McDonald himself. It's just all-around ridiculous and I love it.

After that, I'd probably say 1989's 'The Wizard', which is admittedly kind of a decent family movie hidden inside of a 90-minute commercial for Nintendo. The most famous scene is probably the villain showcasing his intimidating video game skills by using the Power Glove, which is treated like the coolest thing in the world, even though anyone who has actually used a Power Glove knows that thing was a piece of crap which never worked. :p

After that, I'd say 2012's 'Foodfight!', which is almost literally "Product Placement: The Movie". It was supposed to be a kid's movie starring famous food mascots (Cap'n Crunch, Chester Cheetah, etc.); the film had a long and bizarre history, and by the time it came out, a lot of sponsors had dropped out and the film only features lesser mascots as background characters (Mr. Clean, Twinkie the Kid, Charlie the Tuna, Mrs. Buttersworth, etc.). Besides crass product placement, it's also known for boasting God-awful animation and an extremely confusing script filled with inappropriate jokes, earning a reputation as one of the worst animated films ever made (and also one of the most unintentionally hilarious, in my opinion).

Stuff like that is far more interesting to me than usual product placement. I feel like if you're going to put product placement in your movie, either go ALL OUT and practically turn into a commercial (see: this scene from 'Hawaii 5-0') or just ironically parody it (see: this scene from 'Wayne's World').

I didn't know I could write so much about product placement in movies, but then again, what else am I going to do during a pandemic?

Reactions: Backwords
I know the movie Barbershop has a bit of weird low key advertising where one of the regulars who peddles stolen goods holds a bag of huggies in a way that very prominently shows off the branding.

The Movie Baby Boom has a very obvious Huggies product placement.

Cool, keep them coming. I'm partial to the diaper adds in the 80's and 90's like the movie Baby Boom and Philadelphia (Pharmacy Clip). It's cool to see all of the old products.

Reactions: quartz200420012
iirc, 2012 had a girl that was bedwetting and the parents were shopping for one brand (huggies pullups?) and at the end of the movie she says "no more goodnights!" (so, oops, changed brand name?)

Men In Black shows aliens in the space-port with trolleys piled high with Marlboro cigarettes. Quite a clever way to promote an addictive drug to children. :-/

Oh wow, I'll have to see 2012 that one. Good to know. Yes, men in black is a good one with the Marlboro cigarettes. Funny to see a more recent movie with ties to cigarettes.

LuvsandPampers said:
Oh wow, I'll have to see 2012 that one.

I can't claim to have caught it myself, but Cinema Sins lambasted them pretty hard for that when they did 2012.

bambinod said:
iirc, 2012 had a girl that was bedwetting and the parents were shopping for one brand (huggies pullups?) and at the end of the movie she says "no more goodnights!" (so, oops, changed brand name?)
You are correct on the fact the daughter (Lily) was a bedwetter. Later in the movie The Mom (Kate, I believe) and her new boyfriend are out grocery shopping and there they pick up several pack of GoodNites (with the Ballerina design, IIRC), and throws them into the cart. Later when comedic time of floor ripping apart, the cart is actually filled with packs of packs of Pull-Ups and according to CinemaSins “Kate just downgraded her 7-Yr old daughter to Toddler status.”
Finally at the end of the movie Lily says to her Dad “No more Pull-Ups”. CinemaSins chimes in one last time with “They’re called GoodNites, and you just lost your sponsor.”

sorry to correct you on this bambinod. I just happen to enjoy 2012.

As for me, I’d choose the movie: I Am Sam (2001)

I loved 2012. So cheesy, but Amanda Peet is so hot, and I loved the Goodnites scenes throughout the movie.

bambinobaby said:
I loved 2012. So cheesy, but Amanda Peet is so hot, and I loved the Goodnites scenes throughout the movie.

Lily: "Daddy, it's following us!"

Cinema Sins: "yes Lily, it's ALWAYS following us!"

lol

tiny said:
Men In Black shows aliens in the space-port with trolleys piled high with Marlboro cigarettes. Quite a clever way to promote an addictive drug to children. :-/

Sounds like a joke about the british to be fair. We're well known to have an obsession with importing duty free cigarettes...

Not a movie but in tv sitcom "The Middle", Diaper Glossner wore Goodnites, and maybe a few other brands.

MrPurple said:
Sounds like a joke about the british to be fair. We're well known to have an obsession with importing duty free cigarettes...

That was probably a play on the trope of people smuggling cigarettes over the border or taking huge supplies of cigarettes/cigars with them when returning from vacation. Considering the huge cigarette sale taxes in the US, they had to cap the amount you could bring over the border. (because they were untaxed) IIRC 2 carton limit. Cigs in mexico are so cheap as to be almost free. (chemical addiction is a great way to keep your customers coming back!)

Eh. Can't really think of anything off the top of my head. Just my opinion, but I find blatantly obvious advertising very distasteful.

Lots of Hyundai automobiles in The Walking Dead. (I stopped watching after Season 2 though, years ago.)

James Bond films have traditionally featured product placements.

Supposedly, M&Ms candy denied the offer to be featured in Spielberg's E.T. so they went with Reese's Pieces. Uhh, oops.

Back to the future 2 , Miller beer , Pepsi , Black & Decker , Texeco , Pizza Hut , Nike , Ford , Mattel , AT&T
The Miller beer plug was so blatant as see in the way Doc Brown holds the can with the name facing the camera

Last edited:
NinjaPizza said:
Lots of Hyundai automobiles in The Walking Dead. (I stopped watching after Season 2 though, years ago.)

James Bond films have traditionally featured product placements.

Supposedly, M&Ms candy denied the offer to be featured in Spielberg's E.T. so they went with Reese's Pieces. Uhh, oops.
Bond films all TVs and monitors are Sony

E.T.- Reese pieces!

Back