Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Carer
Ive been using the same Alienware desktop computer for close to 7 years now with really no issues (i upgraded the video card from a GTX 780 to a GTX 1070) I run almost all games at full graphics at fine FPS but....I feel like I really should upgrade. My problem is I have heard it is much much cheaper to build your own instead of buying it pre-built but i have zero know-how when it comes to building computers. Sadly I don't live near any of my friends who actually could probably build one for me.

It is usually cheaper to build your own and it's not as difficult as it sounds but you have to make sure that all the components to the case, cooling, motherboard and everything else are compatible. I build my own PC whenever I want an upgrade, but i have several years experience of building pc's in a friends business.

yeah the only thing ive ever REALLY done myself was switch a video card and maybe RAM. There are just so many factors to consider that it makes my head hurt lol. I mean like, does this CPU work with this motherboard and this power supply, etc. Thats why i wish I had local friends that actually could do this

Well to start with do you prefer Intel or AMD chips? if so are you looking at the latest cpu, off hand i can't remember what intel are up to now possibly the I7. The new AMD is the Ryzen which needs a special oversize mobo.

I know how you feel. My own computer is almost 10 years old. I told myself I'd replace it after 10 years, so I'll be shopping soon.

Back when I was in college, and for a while thereafter, I would build my own PCs. That was in the 90's and early 2000's, when IDE and floppy drives were still things. The inside of every PC case was a ribbon-tastrophe! Now that everything's gone to high-speed serial interfaces, computers are so tidy inside. I think I'd enjoy building one again, but I've been a Mac guy now for a while (mainly because of my video hobby) and I anticipate getting another Mac. And the "Hackintosh" thing doesn't really appeal to me.

To be honest i have no idea. I have had AMD once and also Intel. Im running an Intel I7right now but since im only about gaming....Ive heard good things about Ryzen

All computer parts manufacturers publish compatibility lists online. Start with what cpu you want, and find a motherboard that's compatible (this is the hardest part). Look at the motherboard compatibility for memory and get whatever is on that list that is available and you also like (I always recommend maxing out the memory too, this will give your pc a longer usable life span). Then add a case, graphics card, hard drive, psu, disc drive, etc (most peripherals like this are more universal, so compatibility might not be a problem. Still try and check for it though). Don't forget to also buy a copy of windows (or linux if you prefer), and any other big programs like ms office, etc.

Once you get all the parts together, follow the motherboard instructions and eventually try powering up the motherboard with the cpu (and cooler), and with just one stick or ram. If you can get into bios then you're home free. Turn it off then plug everything else in. Configure bios and start installing programs as needed, starting with windows/linux.

I just rebuilt my own computer, and fully upgraded it. I probably spent $1500 on a computer that would retail for $3000+ and blow away even most alienware pc's. Be ready for dead on arrival parts though. I unfortunately went through SIX motherboard returns, two manufacturers, and two websites (amazon and newegg) before finally getting one that worked. Seriously, what ever happened to QA? I also spent several days worth of time in building it, installing and configuring windows, and install my many other programs and games. It's a long and drawn out process getting a new pc burned in and backed up too. Not for most unless you're serious about building it. Luckily the process is as simple as tab a plugs into slot a. Instructions are typically easy enough to follow and hard to screw up, so anyone determined can do it. Oh, and having a working pc or laptop, and a usb drive helps the build process too.

just be careful inserting the cpu and memory chips, they are easily damaged. always buy a more powerful power supply than you think you'll need.

Back