Private blogs shown on homepage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur
In the "Latest Blogs" section at the bottom of the homepage, there's a link to a blog entry that's not shown on the blogs page and when I click on it I get an error saying I do not have permission to acess this page. I'm guessing it's a blog that's set to private but links to it are still being shown on the main page, due to some bug.

So I think this needs changing - even if it means you just have to take the "Latest Blogs" thing off the homepage. Becuase if I set my blog to private, I wouldn't want any part of it displayed to anyone who's not suppossed to see it - even if it's just the title!

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I really don't want to remove the recent blogs thing from the homepage, as I feel it gives much needed publicity to the blogs system.

On the other hand, I don't want ADISC to leak the titles of peoples' private blogs, either.

What do other people think? Right now I'm leaning towards removing the blogs section on the forum homepage, but I'd like to hear some more opinions before I do this.

Role
Private
There's no way to simply make private blogs not show up on the homepage? =S

I think take it down for now. A lot of people here seem to use the blog system and I've noticed there's been a steady flow of comments on entries too. It's had enough time to get known. I don't think the blogs feature will decay too much whilst you get it sorted. Besides, people privatise stuff for a reason.

On the other hand, if it's only the title that is viewable, then it really shouldn't cause too much concern. After all, it's the content that really matters. But that's really the only advantage of leaving it up.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
A redirect forum that goes to the blog page might be a good idea. I mean, I know it's kinda redundant (since there's already a link at the top), but more people will notice it.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
There's no way to simply make private blogs not show up on the homepage? =S

I think take it down for now. A lot of people here seem to use the blog system and I've noticed there's been a steady flow of comments on entries too. It's had enough time to get known. I don't think the blogs feature will decay too much whilst you get it sorted. Besides, people privatise stuff for a reason.

On the other hand, if it's only the title that is viewable, then it really shouldn't cause too much concern. After all, it's the content that really matters. But that's really the only advantage of leaving it up.
I'll look into modifying the queries it uses so that private blogs are not displayed. Hopefully I can sort something out in that department within a few days. In the meantime, the mod is disabled.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I don't see the problem if it's just the 'title' that's appearing and not part of the actual blog post.

This IS a public forum...including the blogs...and, even tho' some may choose to make their blogs 'private', the fact that they're using this public service as a means of blogging would indicate they are aware that not everything is '100% totally private'. Thus they shouldn't be giving titles to their blogs that might be objectionable to the general public.

Just my :twocents:.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Maybe give out a warning on the blog page that says "Warning: All blog titles are public, even private blogs"... So that if I wanted to post a particularly personal blog about being attacked by a squirrel, I'd call it "A bad time" rather than "Squirrel attack".

(Just an example of course, squirrels are rather indifferent towards me)

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Maybe give out a warning on the blog page that says "Warning: All blog titles are public, even private blogs"... So that if I wanted to post a particularly personal blog about being attacked by a squirrel, I'd call it "A bad time" rather than "Squirrel attack".

(Just an example of course, squirrels are rather indifferent towards me)
You've obviously never come across the terrorist squirrels of Nova Scotia which drop acorns from oak trees like tiny little bombs! They're accurate lil buggers, too. They can get you on the head, drop 'em through your windscreen, and so on. Dangerous creatures!

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
The "recent blogs" display on the forum homepage is re-enabled, and private blogs should no longer be shown.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Hmmm.... well, I have a question about blog privacy (though not exactly about this.) Do the blogs show up in search engines or do you have to be a registered member to see them?

Everyone else may...
View your blog
Leave comments on your blog entries
Unregistered visitors may not be able to do all the things you specify here, depending on the permissions granted by the administrator.
What are those settings/permissions? Are search engines indexing my blog?

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Blogs show up to search engines if you have your blog set to allow "everyone else" access to view it.

As an administrator, I have the ability to block guest access to *all* blogs, but I really don't want to do that, for several reasons. First, it would be highly inconvenient for the ADISC members who want their blogs to be public. Second, it would result in less links to this site. Third, it goes against my principle of letting members choose, on an individual basis, who can access their stuff.

On the other hand, I have been asking the vBulletin team for information about how I could let users limit access to their blog to registered users only. So far, they have not answered... but I am hoping that they implement this feature soon.

Once I get some free time, I will look into implementing it myself. I feel members deserve to have control over how public the information they upload to ADISC is.

Status
Not open for further replies.