Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

redtails

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer, Other
It seems like any lad can visit this website and go through all the private galleries, all the forums and posts, the memberlist, their personal profiles, and basically see anyone's lifestory if they happen to have it posted on this site. I highly suggest people need to log in before seeing someone's posts/the member list/the galleries/the blogs/the personal profiles :eek:

It's just a suggestion though. I understand you'll scare people away with too tight security, but we can expect a bit of privacy, am I right?

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Yeah, blogs definitely need to be made members only...

As for your profile, you can set it so that it's private. It's under "Profile Privacy" under "Profile" in the user CP.
You can upload images into members only galleries... and probably VIP galleries when people start becoming VIPs.

As for posts, they'll probably be places to post things that you want members only or VIPs only... I don't know, but those forums might be made again later on I would guess.

Don't know about the member list though.

redtails

Banned
Role
Yeah, blogs definitely need to be made members only...

As for your profile, you can set it so that it's private. It's under "Profile Privacy" under "Profile" in the user CP.
You can upload images into members only galleries... and probably VIP galleries when people start becoming VIPs.

As for posts, they'll probably be places to post things that you want members only or VIPs only... I don't know, but those forums might be made again later on I would guess.

Don't know about the member list though.
Yep, you're certainly right about blogs.. I should've thought before posting it, of course private galleries and private forums exist. But, as for now, regular members are forced to post in public forums, which are viewable by anyone with an internet connection, it's just a suggestion :)

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I'll agree with redtails on this one, I think there could be a little more privacy, specially since all this is in google after all. Thats what worries me the most. I do understand that letting people read the forums gives them an idea of what the site is like but I think Ab//tb forum and diaper lover forum should be private, along with administrative and members only forum. Although if we did this privacy modification I would say it would be reasonable to get rid of regulars only forum.

Last edited:

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
It seems like any lad can visit this website and go through all the private galleries, all the forums and posts, the memberlist, their personal profiles, and basically see anyone's lifestory if they happen to have it posted on this site. I highly suggest people need to log in before seeing someone's posts/the member list/the galleries/the blogs/the personal profiles :eek:

It's just a suggestion though. I understand you'll scare people away with too tight security, but we can expect a bit of privacy, am I right?
It is good to see that people are taking care of their own privacy.

However, I feel I have to correct a few misconceptions here.

Galleries :
Guests / search engines cannot see the regulars' only gallery, or any of the private galleries which are set to password protected, or the VIP gallery

Forums/Posts :
Guests cannot access the regulars only or VIP only forum. Any really sensitive posts can be put there :)

Memberlist :
The member list only shows username, post count, reputation count and avatar. That isn't much information. Even then, it doesn't show any information at all for many categories of people - such as anyone who doesn't login to their account for a few months, or anyone without any posts.

Profiles :
You can go to your User CP, click the "Edit Profile" link, and set your posts to "members only". That will stop guests from seeing your profile. It will also bar search engines and stop your instant messenger details showing up to guests when they view your posts in the public forums.

Blogs :
You can block non-buddies from viewing or commenting on your blog via an option in your User CP, under the blog management section.

Currently we have pretty good security. If you want to post anything really private, use the regulars' only forum. If you want to keep your profile/IM details hidden, activate the privacy mode in your User CP. If you want to keep your gallery uploads hidden, upload them to a private/protected gallery with a password, or the regulars/VIP galleries. Not the public section of the galleries :p

I do hope that, sooner or later, we can get an upgrade to the blog that would allow people to block guests from seeing their blog, but allow normal members to see it without having to add everyone to their buddy list. That is something I have been investigating already.

Aside from that, I think our security/privacy is excellent. Not only do we have it, we have it set up in a way that it gives *you* control over what privacy settings are applied to your content.

There are a few more privacy settings I'm considering, too.
One involves a usercp setting for post privacy. It would have three levels :
Public : no change from current behaviour
Anonymous : guests can see your posts, but they don't see your username or avatar, or a link to your profile
Hidden : guests cannot see your posts at all, they just get a "This post is visible to logged-in users only".

Another involves a per-post setting that the author of the post can set, even in the public forums, which blocks guests from viewing that specific post.
Ideally, I would like this setting to default to ON in any post which contains certain key words or symbols, like the "@" sign (often used when someone posts an email address).

If you have more ideas, please let me know.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Changes :
(1) Search engines/ guests can no longer access the members list, the search tool ("all posts made by", etc), or any of the custom gallery albums created by members.
(2) There is now an anonymous option in the UserCP's profile section. When enabled, this will stop guests and search engines from seeing any identifying information about you on posts you make. This will hide your name, the link to your profile, and of course your MSN/ICQ/etc icons and details. Enabling this option together with the option to make your profile members-only will almost completely eliminate any mention of your username on the site to guests. The only mentions left on the forum will be the members list, and any cases where someone quoted a post you made. Unless your username is quite unique, this will make it hard for a google search to be able to find your account here.
(3) There is now a 'delete your account' option in the UserCP. Someone using this option pretty much has all references to them on the site erased. Their profile vanishes. They disappear from the members list. Even their posts are set to anonymous mode so that their name / av / etc don't display on their past posts anymore. Bear in mind that the deletion process cannot be reversed, and once an account is deleted, you can't log in with it and say you changed your mind. Also note that for the safety of other site users, dodgey people who are banned, moderated or have unconfirmed details cannot use the account deletion option. This is to prevent them deleting their account in order to start over with a new account and a clean slate.
(4) Guests are limited to browsing only a small number of threads before they must register.

Oh, and I am still trying to find a way to let you block guests / search engines from your blog, without blocking all non-buddies.

redtails

Banned
Role
It's really good to see you care for the privacy of all the members together with all their personal details :).

Status
Not open for further replies.