Privacy via Virtual Computers

AJFan2020

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
True - but again, yes will work - BUT does NOT give TRUE privacy.
It will keep some junk off a main hard drive, and confine it to a virtual one, but does NOTHING to actually prevent anyone from being able to "see" anything.
That would also be true if you are booting from a bootable CD or DVD and someone is already on your network and running a program like Wireshark (especially if the traffic is not encrypted).

nwm

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
That would also be true if you are booting from a bootable CD or DVD and someone is already on your network and running a program like Wireshark (especially if the traffic is not encrypted).
That's the point - while useful for sure - this is NOT true privacy.

aberrantlyme

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I think more than privacy, it introduced segmentation for me. I keep separate devices, so I have something visual to help me segment the two parts of my life. I am able to search and post here, and have a visual queue that I am not exposing something inadvertently to other accounts and profiles that I have.

it is true, what is said above that a virtual machine is not going to offer privacy, but it will sandbox some of what is going on. No matter what approach you take, extreme caution should be taken.

Mistakes get made, when emotions get high. Take a moment, breathe, and make sure that you do not make silly mistakes.

AJFan2020

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
A
I think more than privacy, it introduced segmentation for me. I keep separate devices, so I have something visual to help me segment the two parts of my life. I am able to search and post here, and have a visual queue that I am not exposing something inadvertently to other accounts and profiles that I have.

it is true, what is said above that a virtual machine is not going to offer privacy, but it will sandbox some of what is going on. No matter what approach you take, extreme caution should be taken.

Mistakes get made, when emotions get high. Take a moment, breathe, and make sure that you do not make silly mistakes.
Also, be sure to keep your antivirus and virtual machine software up to date (in addition to your guest and host operating systems). A security issue in any of those places could result in getting hacked and a loss of privacy.