Present Day Slang Defs Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
OK, showing my total naive-ness with this thread. :eek: I keep seeing certain slang words used over and over not just on ADISC, so I'm breaking down and asking for some definitions to understand what is meant. Here's some of them:

Emo
Pwned
Owned
Shagged
Tagged

I'm guessing 'Emo' is short for 'emotional', and 'Pwned' and 'Owned' are very similar in meaning? Also the context of where they're used seems to indicate possibly more than one meaning. Some good definitions would be very useful to understand today's oft used words. Every generation has their own slang expressions, so perhaps some of these were known by another name in my teen days. Appreciate the education!:smile:

Oh, and feel free to add any other similar slang words along with a definition that are commonly used today by younger folks. Expressions I might come across here or places like Myspace and Youtube.

~Pramrider

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer
To be honest man I couldn't tell you the exact meaning of half the words I'd use in person sometimes you kinda gotta feel it

Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Well, emo are those kids that run around with long bangs, listening to whiny music and complaining about how horrible life is.

Owned and pwned are pretty much the same thing. It means they lost, badly :)

Shagged is british for sex, as far as I know. I don't know if it has any other use.

I have no idea what tagged is :)

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Emo is originally a music genre...And is still kind of used that way, but lately it's being used as "emotional" kids...Which tend to be the kids who dress kind of goth/punkish...

Owned and Pwned are pretty much the same thing...They are mostly used in like video games, when you beat someone...But they tend to be used by kids who say owned/pwned after everytime they kill someone in a way that requires no experience whatsoever...

Not too sure on the others

M

Mako

Emo is usually used as a derogatory term, but it is a genre of music, a fashion style, and an attitude. The latter being the reason it's usually derogatory. You can draw comparison in that punk, grunge and goth also cover those three categories of pop culture in their respective times.

The music is usually a generic pop punk, "my life sucks and no one understands me". The difference is it's commonly coming from artists, and being listened to by those who really have no place claiming so.
The fashion is essentially a dulled down version of goth.
And the attitude falls in line with the music. Emokids are not ones that typically make good company because they tend to be dramatical, and annoying.

Owned, as mentioned, means that someone lost quite badly. Pwned means the same thing but the origin is within online culture deriving from l33tspeak.

Shagged, yeah british slang for sex.

Tagged.... umm... not a clue. Whats the context it was given in? Only thing I could think of would be graffiti artists, or gangs marking buildings and such.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Emo
A sub-culture, much like the Gothic sub-culture, but different.
Short for "emotional"; refers to a person (mostly teens) who dress in dark colours, have skinny legs, low cut bangs, and sometimes have an assortment of leather/chain wristbands and belts. They are related to the Goths in fashion, but are distinct from them. Usualy hate the world or themselves or their family. Some are depressed, others like the fashion, and some just want attention. Some are depressed, and some cut their arms to cope with stress.
Also refers to a genre of music that emulates the same things

Pwned
A typo for owned, though it has become a word of it's own, meaning the exact same thing as 'owned'.

Owned
Killed, dominated. EX. If you beat someone at a sport, you 'owned' them.

Shagged
British for sex.

Tagged
'Tagging' is the process of spray painting your or your gang's name and symbol onto walls.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Tagged.... umm... not a clue. Whats the context it was given in? Only thing I could think of would be graffiti artists, or gangs marking buildings and such.
Thanks for all the understanding so far.

Mako, here's one video using 'tagged' in the title: YouTube - OMG I got Tagged

Possibly means picked or chosen to do something? There's several more videos using the term "tagged" if you do a search. Almost seems to be randomly used at times.

For some reason the text isn't showing to the right of the video, but on the search screen the words "tagged" and "pwnageowner" are used. That last slang word would have confused me to no end.:wink:

~Pramrider

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
if 'tagged' was posted on a message board, it means someone was posting in the topic to make it show up in their 'messages posted' list or 'message history' so it could be tracked and referred to later.

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Other
Thanks for all the understanding so far.

Mako, here's one video using 'tagged' in the title: YouTube - OMG I got Tagged

Possibly means picked or chosen to do something? There's several more videos using the term "tagged" if you do a search. Almost seems to be randomly used at times.

For some reason the text isn't showing to the right of the video, but on the search screen the words "tagged" and "pwnageowner" are used. That last slang word would have confused me to no end.:wink:

~Pramrider
It's like some game/meme/type-thing-like-that on youtube that if you're "tagged", you have to make a video with 5 facts about yourself, and then tag 5 more people. It's pretty much Youtube-specific, I think.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't understand why people can't just speak English. It'd be much easier for everyone.

Speaking of slang, I have a story....

--------------------------------------

I was at my Gram and Papas yesterday. So we were taking pictures - and I commented on one that my Gram just took of me, I said that it was terrible aside from my boobs.

My Papa walks in and asks what's going on. My Gram and Mom continue to tell him about how I am obsessed with my boobs, and the way they look. He says,

"If you keep this up, Miss Manda, I'm going to have to bang you."

He walked out, and I laughed - the hardest I'd laughed in a long time. Because he meant like, a bop in the nose. However after talking about my boobs, then he wants to bang me, I just got the wrong message, including my mom and grama. It was absolutely hilarious.

Bang to him means hit, to me it means have wild sex.

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Emo
: As a stereotype : A subculture, dating back from the 80ies. However, the new manifestation has none or minimal relation with the one 2 decades ago. Fashionwise, it draws many aspects of other youth cliques (Skas, Punks, Mods, Post Punks, Goths, etc), Which is the main reason why it has been so severly critisized.

Multiple claims from emo kids are made that they are depressive, but this is as a majority not the case, and the depression facade is mostly used as to attract attention.

As a music : Originally, the music emo kids from the 80ies used to listen was called emotional hardcore. Due to misunderstandings in this millenia, it is more commonly refered to as Post Hardcore or Melodic Hardcore, Both branches of hardcore punk.

'Emo' as a music today however, has a different meaning. It basically means any music that is overly emotional. A rather better definition would be mainstream pop-rock/pop punk music with melancholy lyrics. Emo today, as a music aswell, has minimal or no relation to the one back in the 80ies.

As used on the internet : Emo on the internet is mainly an insult, used against people who are overdramatic about what problems they may be claiming to be going through. It is also commonly used as to refer the 2nd wave of 'emos' (As in the ones existant today), not the older ones.

Pwned : Similar meaning to Owned. However, It has a more emphatical character in written language than Owned. In fact, it is stronger.
This phrase originated in a game called Warcraft, particularly in a slightly changed version, called DoTA (Defense of The Ancients). The coder, at some point, instead of making the message of defeat of a player be '' X owned Y's head'', made a mistake, and replaced O for P. Since then it is used as a strong phrase when someone is defeated (''Haha, you got pwned!'')

Owned : To defeat, to overpower.

Shagged : Rather British slang phrase, to have intercourse with. I am rather unsure about this, trust the other people in this

Tagged : To place your personal nickname with a marker on a wall. Variations include 'Bombed, which is the same thing but with spray paint, and a 'Throw Up' which is an abstract drawing/graffiti, which might contain your 'tag' at the bottom. Most people who like graffiti on walls take an interest more to 'Throw ups' or Crossover Bombs/Throw ups.

Tags are generally disliked by the public, as they usually don't contain any artistic merit.

Finally, there is a code of honor amongst taggers. Tagging on top of someone elses tag is very rude, and could spark a fight.

I am saying all this as is used in my part of the world. It is plausible it variates where you are.

I hope I have proved useful.
I don't understand why people can't just speak English. It'd be much easier for everyone.
Although I know some slang used, I don't like it at all. You speak truth!

Kovy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
Pwned
Owned
Shagged
Tagged
Pwned and Owned are identical in meaning, they mean 'beaten', typically in a video game.

I think shagged means 'had sex with'. Not sure though.

I think tagged means 'did graffiti on'.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Emo - Whiny little tools who wear girls pants and complain about how no body understands them and how life is so horrible, yet they can go and spend tons of money on tacky clothing and concerts for music that complains about how bad life is yet most of the singers once again come from a nice little house in the suburbs.

In short, they're goths without the balls to actually be goth.

Owned/Pwnd - Is just same gamer/geek slang for:

A) I kicked your ass
B) Haha you got your ass kicked
or C) Something unfortunate yet funny happened.

pwnd is just a misspelling that caught on.

Shagged/Tagged.....er, dunno never heard that used before

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Bang to him means hit, to me it means have wild sex.
Yeah, now that's one slang word I'm familiar with, and yes, Mandi, that's what it's always meant to me.:eek:

Pwned/Owned:
:laugh:I think I get the picture!:D

Thanks for all the comments. I feel more well informed now. As we used to say in my teen generation, "I'm hip.":wink:

~Pramrider

Icey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, Little, Carer
Tagged can also mean a hard hit, as in a fight or a car wreck!! I have heard it used that way as well!!

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Tagged can also mean a hard hit, as in a fight or a car wreck!! I have heard it used that way as well!!
Yes, it seems that term has numerous meanings. I also see the expressions "random" and "randomness" used a lot.

~Pramrider

Status
Not open for further replies.