Potty Training Issues

BusyBritches

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
This morning, I was pondering why we as adults put so much importance on privacy when we use the bathroom. Being raised in the home I was raised in, I have more than a few "issues" around diapers and bodily functions.

So I wrote this blog post about "The Bathroom Door" and why some of us are terrified of others hearing us pass gas or smelling our poop in the bathroom. (I lock the door, and pray no one hears or smells me.)

I'm not an expert on psychology or humanity: it's just my musing on bathroom doors, bodily functions, and diapers and potty training. 🤔

Reactions: ChristianDiaperLover
I guess in part because it was luxury for our ancestors. With large families and one bathroom for at least for members of the same sex to be using the facility at once. Once families got smaller and we got multiple bathrooms we could afford that luxury. So later generations adapted to privacy.

Reactions: BusyBritches
Its different per culture.

Reactions: BusyBritches
This is a social construction. With the development of capitalism and bourgeois society, privacy has become a sacred value. Add this to Christian moralism and we have the bathroom door. I always wear diapers, so I don't have this problem, I can piss while talking to my friends.

Reactions: gdniteswolf21 and BusyBritches
Growing up with older brothers and sisters, we only had one bathroom. My mother had me out of diapers at 9 months so i think that is why i like diapers now.

Being trained at 9 months means mom was trained. Children that age don't recognize the signs by their self. But as soon as they can, they are potty trained and mom has saved a ton of diapers in the mean time.

I dont think I really ever got potty trained. I go in my diapers now and feel much better.

Reactions: Sidewinder and BusyBritches
I would think all of early society used outhouses which provided, to my mind, the utmost in privacy and serenity from outside noises and disturbances. Once the plumbing was brought into the house, there was no reason to change things. Most older houses had the bathroom as far away as possible. like second floor all the way in the back is how my old house is.

The are a lot of pictures of outhouses with multiple seats. It doesn't sound like they worried too much about privacy. My guess is the outhouse was enclosed to keep you out of the weather while partially undressed. Many people lived in one room homes. I'm sure they would have seen the others naked. And the kids should have known when mom and dad had relations.

3. Two-seater outhouses aren’t as strange as you think: Have you ever used an outhouse that had two seats and thought, “Huh?” Turns out, traditional two-seater outhouses have two holes for different-sized behinds: a bigger one for adult bottoms and a smaller one for kids.

Back