Potty training but still in a diaper?

AJFan2020 said:
My mother used to put a Pamper in my underwear without taping it in place. That was in the early 80s when I was around five to five-and-a-half years old. That was before pull-ups existed by a number of years.

This essentially functioned like a pull-up (at least most of the time). It wasn’t perfect, though. I seem to remember being found out in preschool when I was wearing underwear with elastics that were too loose in the leg area and the small to medium size Pamper fell out. Fortunately it was dry at the time. I’m guessing that avoiding this problem is why the Goodnites inserts that I used to see for sale in some local drug stores had some type of adhesive on the back.
Someone kind of had the same idea as an actual product, you can find stuff like insertable absorbent pads you can put into a toddler's undies to turn it into a trainer pant, like Dry Like Me.

DiaperedChase said:
Yeah that’s exactly why adhesive started being put on insert products, to keep from having them fall out and causing leaks or embarrassment.
Sorry that happened to you, you must’ve been mortified.
I guess I was (at least enough to remember it around forty years later). But I probably would have been much more mortified if I needed the Pamper for a year or so longer than I did. I don’t know if this experience helped me to (pretty much) finish training before I turned six or whether I would have trained by then anyway.

I think I was more bothered by the fact that my four-year-old classmates were less willing to participate in activities with me because I was seen as being more babyish than they were. At the time, my parents assumed I was just being stubborn, but when I was a Freshman in college I was finally diagnosed with a neurological condition (from a small stroke (a burst/leaking blood vessel) on the right side of my brain) caused by my premature birth.

Before my diagnosis everything was assumed to be normal. My condition may (or may not) be part of the autism spectrum (I have heard and read conflicting information on this over the years (even from some doctors I have seen)). It also has some effect on my movement (especially on the left side of my face) but it has become less noticeable over the last twenty years or so. My neurologist was actually surprised that I trained at all when she performed the neurological exam on me.

She told me that with only another eighth or sixteenth of an inch of damage I might not have been trained (or I would have trained at least a few years later than I did (at best)). Also, learning to walk might have taken longer (at best) under that slightly different set of circumstances. And so it looks like I actually lucked out (in the scheme of things).

Also, I can generally hold it, but even at my age (mid-40s) accidents (both kinds) can still happen if I am tired, nervous, or too far from a bathroom. I generally cannot hold it for more than an hour or an hour-and-a-half without significantly reducing my fluid intake and this is not sustainable in the long term (due to the possibility of dehydration). Therefore I may buy some adult-size disposable products soon for situations that require me to be away from a toilet for more than an hour-and-a-half. But to keep as much control as possible I plan to wear underwear and use the toilet the rest of the time.

AJFan2020 said:
I guess I was (at least enough to remember it around forty years later). But I probably would have been much more mortified if I needed the Pamper for a year or so longer than I did. I don’t know if this experience helped me to (pretty much) finish training before I turned six or whether I would have trained by then anyway.

I think I was more bothered by the fact that my four-year-old classmates were less willing to participate in activities with me because I was seen as being more babyish than they were. At the time, my parents assumed I was just being stubborn, but when I was a Freshman in college I was finally diagnosed with a neurological condition (from a small stroke (a burst/leaking blood vessel) on the right side of my brain) caused by my premature birth.

Before my diagnosis everything was assumed to be normal. My condition may (or may not) be part of the autism spectrum (I have heard and read conflicting information on this over the years (even from some doctors I have seen)). It also has some effect on my movement (especially on the left side of my face) but it has become less noticeable over the last twenty years or so. My neurologist was actually surprised that I trained at all when she performed the neurological exam on me.

She told me that with only another eighth or sixteenth of an inch of damage I might not have been trained (or I would have trained at least a few years later than I did (at best)). Also, learning to walk might have taken longer (at best) under that slightly different set of circumstances. And so it looks like I actually lucked out (in the scheme of things).

Also, I can generally hold it, but even at my age (mid-40s) accidents (both kinds) can still happen if I am tired, nervous, or too far from a bathroom. I generally cannot hold it for more than an hour or an hour-and-a-half without significantly reducing my fluid intake and this is not sustainable in the long term (due to the possibility of dehydration). Therefore I may buy some adult-size disposable products soon for situations that require me to be away from a toilet for more than an hour-and-a-half. But to keep as much control as possible I plan to wear underwear and use the toilet the rest of the time.
Woowww. Sounds like you’ve had quite the interesting life so far. But you’ve also been managing very well. Good on you for that.

Now i'm just thinking about those anecdotes I've heard about toddlers who are fine with peeing in the potty, but ask for a diaper or a Pull-Up to poop in

PurpleScorpion said:
Now i'm just thinking about those anecdotes I've heard about toddlers who are fine with peeing in the potty, but ask for a diaper or a Pull-Up to poop in
Yeah I still don’t get the mentality behind that.

True story, when I was spending the weekend with my godson when he was just potty trained I was watching him and his cousin Layla one day. It was nap time and Layla used to wear pullups to bed, wet the bed frequently, and slept with the bedside lamp on. One mind told me to turn on the bathroom light because she may be scared to use the bathroom if she wakes up and needs to because she is afraid of the dark.

She went to bed with no pull up on that day for nap time. To my surprise she used the bathroom and everything and didn't wet the bed again later at night either. She turned off the lamp left on the bathroom light because she saw that I do that at nap time and never wet the bed again or used pullups!

We talked about it and she told me she likes having the bathroom light on because at nights it's too dark to see her way to the bathroom. It is true, my god sons father does not use night lights and i think kids need them more than adults do. Just like that, bam, kid never wet the bed wether in voluntarily or not. Just thought it would be cool to share.

Reactions: WillFord384 and Beowulf
As for my godson, once I showed him how I pee in the toilet he mastered it in short order. He was super excited when me and his grandfather showed him how to pee outside at the side of the house! One day he opened the bathroom door while I was pooping because he wondered was was taking me so long. I told him I was pooping and then bam, he mastered that too! His dad kept putting him in pullups and leaving it to him mom to potty train him. I think he just needed to see another male use the bathroom to give him incentive.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinceiwassmall
I understand some kids don't train so easily, but either I got really lucky or I have a real knack with kids. I do like to think that I can water things down to what children like naturally because, like some other members here, I'm young at heart.

Last edited:
KrankyPants said:
I understand some kids don't train so easily, but either I got really lucky or I have a real knack with kids. I do like to think that I can water things down to what children like naturally because, like some other members here, I'm young at heart.
Awww that’s actually really cute. And I agree, it definitely does help when you can relate on high level and know what they really want. Makes them easier to manage and make your life easier. Really glad that’s worked out so well for you, and it sounds like your teachings have worked well for the kids too.

• Love
Reactions: KrankyPants
DiaperedChase said:
Woowww. Sounds like you’ve had quite the interesting life so far. But you’ve also been managing very well. Good on you for that.
My next steps are to learn a bit more about computer networking, pass one or more networking-related exams (I hope in the coming months), and hopefully get a job in computer networking that pays well.

I’m doing pretty well with IP subnetting (mostly in IPv4) but I also know a bit about IPv6 as well (just not yet as much as I would like to). I’m also reading up on some other miscellaneous networking topics that are too numerous to list in this post.

For now, I’m doing some computer work for my father over the phone and online (mostly related to purchasing decisions for his business along with some technical support). I also test out software updates (e.g. cell phone operating system and Windows updates) on my own equipment before having him put in the updates on his own equipment that is similar to mine (even if it is not quite identical).

I plan to get a new job that is independent of his business mostly because he is in his mid-70s and he won’t be around (or be able to work) forever. This won’t be easy for me to do at my age (mid-40s) but I’ll see how it goes. Not making this task even more complicated is one of the main reasons that I intend to keep as much of my bladder control (for example) as I can even if it might be necessary for me to wear occasionally in situations where a restroom might not be readily available.

I just hope that my mother won’t think that I’m giving up on my own training (which took at least four years (18 months to at least five-and-a-half years of age)) when she inevitably comes across the disposables that I will likely buy soon (probably Tykables since they have a lot of capacity (from what I’ve read) and they have velcros instead of tapes which means that I won’t actually need to use them if a bathroom is available).

I agree with the posts above that at some point in the training process the diapers need to come off if sufficient progresses is to be made (at least during the day). For example, a friend of a friend of mine has a grandson who is still training (around age four to five) and he seems to be a late bloomer when it comes to training (like I was) (I’ve been told that he has Aspergers/High-Functioning Autism). He only started talking (not counting mere repetition of words and phrases that he has heard) in maybe the last six months. From what I have been told he only began to make any real progress with his training when the diapers came off during the day with the exception of nap time, long car rides, and a swim diaper for his swimming lessons.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrankyPants and DiaperedChase
When I was being potty trained I still wore diapers, mainly because I would soak through any training pants if I had an accident

My mom started to potty train me before I started school, but I was very slow to learn and stayed diapers during the day until mid-way through the first grade when I could stay dry and not need to wear diapers. Nighttime was different. I continued to wet my bed until I was 17 and no longer needed to wear diapers. But by then I had developed a life long desire to wear diapers and wet myself, especially at night in bed.

Reactions: ARBBB2
So, I had a lot of issues potty training (I could get the pooping half fine, but I would always wet myself). It turns out I have an underdeveloped bladder, and my bladder wasn’t ready for potty training when I was 2. Or 3. I wore pull-ups full time past age 4. Mom always encouraged me to potty, but I remember using my pull-up (when I could have pottied) on a couple of occasions

Reactions: AJFan2020, Lyric and KrankyPants
The book is from the late 80s. I can confirm (because I was there!) that pre-Pull-Ups it was common for parents who were potty training kids to use pants around the home and put nappies back on for outings, car journeys and at night.

As such, you would actually see kids who would now look too old to be wearing tape-on nappies wearing them out and about because there were no Pull-Ups.

Reactions: AJFan2020
PCS said:
The book is from the late 80s. I can confirm (because I was there!) that pre-Pull-Ups it was common for parents who were potty training kids to use pants around the home and put nappies back on for outings, car journeys and at night.

As such, you would actually see kids who would now look too old to be wearing tape-on nappies wearing them out and about because there were no Pull-Ups.
What was the oldest age you ever saw this with? Are we talking like 4-5 or something like 7-8?

I was almost 6 by the time I was potty trained by my special education teacher. Even though I was potty training I still had to wear pullups and diapers to school until I was finally potty trained. I was was born with a cleft palate and had mild autism so I was considered non verbal. Even once I got trained I still had to wear diapers to bed.

Babybear2006 said:
I was almost 6 by the time I was potty trained by my special education teacher. Even though I was potty training I still had to wear pullups and diapers to school until I was finally potty trained. I was was born with a cleft palate and had mild autism so I was considered non verbal. Even once I got trained I still had to wear diapers to bed.
Oh wow! That must’ve been tough. How long did you have to wear diapers to bed?

My wife recently added potty training to our "baby games" and I am somewhat enjoying it... Rules are, if I don't make it to the bathroom and wet my pull-up I have to sit on the potty until I wet again.

Fun (43).jpg
Fun (44).jpg
Fun (145).jpg
Fun (165).jpg

• Love
Reactions: WillFord384 and DiaperedChase
DiaperedChase said:
Oh wow! That must’ve been tough. How long did you have to wear diapers to bed?
I was 16 or 17 when I finally quit bedwetting but started up again when I was 25 and I'm 34 now

Babybear2006 said:
I was 16 or 17 when I finally quit bedwetting but started up again when I was 25 and I'm 34 now
Whoa! Was there something that triggered it to star back up again?

Reactions: Babybear2006
Back