Potty training but still in a diaper?

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
I was reading a potty training book for a kid, and I saw this page, in the attachments (the right one). For the blind people, I'll transcribe it:

"Steffie and Ben like to use the potty. But they still wear diapers most of the time. They are not ready to use the potty all of the time."

This confuses me because I've read a lot about potty training and a really common piece of advice is "Once you're out of diapers, stay out except for sleep-if they're in a diaper, they'll think it's okay to go where they are and not use the potty!" or something to that effect.

Can anyone confirm through either lived experience or seeing it in others if this kind of thing (A toddler in potty training still wearing a diaper while awake) is common, or at least does happen occasionally?

[ removed image of children ] ~KitsuneFox

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shuntorie
PurpleScorpion said:
This confuses me because I've read a lot about potty training and a really common piece of advice is "Once you're out of diapers, stay out except for sleep-if they're in a diaper, they'll think it's okay to go where they are and not use the potty!" or something to that effect.
Well, but...
  • It's common nowadays for kids who are potty-training to wear disposable training pants, which are just pull-on diapers.
  • The book you're referencing was published in 1989, the same year Pull-Ups came out, and definitely before they became popular. In those days (and prior), training pants were just padded cloth underwear and weren't waterproof. If you didn't want to deal with wet pants (like today's parents clearly don't), then leaving your kid in a diaper between potty visits would've been your only option.

Reactions: Chosen
Yes, that's a fair point, but I would like to state that for examples of this, either personal or observed, I am looking for potty training while in an actual diaper, not a Pull-Up. With tapes and all.

I don’t even know if pull-ups were a common thing around 2000; I remember only ever wearing the Barney luvs diapers. I remember wearing them probably till 4 or 5. Then after that I just wore underwear. I probably potty trained with diapers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chosen, littleluvs, WeakEndPartyPerson and 2 others
I have known a number of cases where just putting a night dipper on to early meant wet diapers for 3 or 4 years the diaper was the toilet and sometimes even after being trained of a year or 2 the diaper was for using.

Reactions: Shuntorie
Yeah that book was made back before pull ups became main stream. It was standard to go straight from diapers to underwear, and people still do it. Parents will keep the child diapered for the first part of training, then go into undies and don’t go back.

PurpleScorpion said:
Yes, that's a fair point, but I would like to state that for examples of this, either personal or observed, I am looking for potty training while in an actual diaper, not a Pull-Up. With tapes and all.
Fair enough.

Tapes or pins and all, heh. ;)

I was raised in cloth diapers. I can only say with certainty that I was never placed in training pants, so it's possible I wore diapers between potty visits early on. I don't remember it. What I do remember is being put in diapers whenever I went to bed. That was definitely a sign of the times. These days, an otherwise potty-trained child who still wets the bed would be given GoodNites or Pull-Ups. Those didn't exist in the late 70's and early 80's though. Bedtime protection was a diaper, and if the baby sort still fit you, that's what you were put in. I can remember lying in bed and waiting for my mom to finish diapering me--in the same diapers my baby sister was wearing at the time. 🤷

Last edited:
Do you think this kind of thing went away when Pull-Ups became big or do you think some people still do it, if only for a little bit?

Not asking you specifically, Cottontail, just generally.

It didn’t really go away, it just became less pronounced once pull ups entered the picture and became mainstream.

But there are people who still do it. Mainly parents who don’t like using disposables and will do cloth diapers all the way til the kid’s potty trained.

Beowulf said:
I don’t even know if pull-ups were a common thing around 2000; I remember only ever wearing the Barney luvs diapers. I remember wearing them probably till 4 or 5. Then after that I just wore underwear. I probably potty trained with diapers.
I'm really not sure when Pull Ups became really popular. I just know that I wore them. I wasn't potty trained until I was 4, so that would've been around 2005 when I was taken out of them. I still remember when I was in them a bit. They were the first diaper I was fascinated by as a child since they were the last diaper I remembered wearing. I know my little brother wore them for like a year though and he also didn't train until he was 4. He didn't leave them until 2016 though since he is much younger than me.

I think it depends on the method used to train them, some parents might want to keep them out of diapers while learning to potentially encourage them to speak up or use the bathroom when they need to.

In other cases, some people don’t want to have to follow their kid around and clean up a bunch of clothes everyday.

Personally, when I was being trained, it was underwear all throughout the day and only wore diapers at night.

My guess would be that they started getting popular when they started putting characters on them. That made kids actually want to start wearing them.

PurpleScorpion said:
Do you think this kind of thing went away when Pull-Ups became big or do you think some people still do it, if only for a little bit?
DiaperedChase said:
It didn’t really go away, it just became less pronounced once pull ups entered the picture and became mainstream.
I'm sure there are still parents who stick with diapers, but it's definitely more work getting your kid into and out of the bathroom if his/her diaper has to be unfastened/refastened. Still, diapers might be preferred for kids who frequently have poop accidents, since they're considerably roomier in the crotch than training pants.

Back when Pull-Ups first came out, though, they were even further ahead of diapers in terms of potty-training friendliness. The diapers of the day all used adhesive tapes, and it was very easy to ruin them while trying to take them off. That's certainly one reason why Pull-Ups were an immediate hit.

Cottontail said:
Back when Pull-Ups first came out, though, they were even further ahead of diapers in terms of potty-training friendliness. The diapers of the day all used adhesive tapes, and it was very easy to ruin them while trying to take them off. That's certainly one reason why Pull-Ups were an immediate hit.
Exactly. And even when they can come off, in most cases the tapes lost their adhesive and weren’t good to put back on. Pull ups didn’t have that problem.

I do remember seeing a few reviews for Little Movers Slip-On Diapers where the parents mention that they also used them for pre-potty training or early training, where they get the kid used to pulling it up and down and so forth but still have full diaper protection, unlike a Pull-Up which could still be liable to leaks if used like a diaper

They’re still diapers though. The only thing they’ve got going for them is the easy open sides, but no other “potty training” features.

PurpleScorpion said:
I was reading a potty training book for a kid, and I saw this page, in the attachments (the right one). For the blind people, I'll transcribe it:

"Steffie and Ben like to use the potty. But they still wear diapers most of the time. They are not ready to use the potty all of the time."

Can anyone confirm through either lived experience or seeing it in others if this kind of thing (A toddler in potty training still wearing a diaper while awake) is common, or at least does happen occasionally?

Training pants are a relatively new invention. Before training pants, parents had to balance diaper and underwear time, and get them out of their diapers if they wanted to use the potty.

NovaDL said:
Training pants are a relatively new invention. Before training pants, parents had to balance diaper and underwear time, and get them out of their diapers if they wanted to use the potty.
My mother used to put a Pamper in my underwear without taping it in place. That was in the early 80s when I was around five to five-and-a-half years old. That was before pull-ups existed by a number of years.

This essentially functioned like a pull-up (at least most of the time). It wasn’t perfect, though. I seem to remember being found out in preschool when I was wearing underwear with elastics that were too loose in the leg area and the small to medium size Pamper fell out. Fortunately it was dry at the time. I’m guessing that avoiding this problem is why the Goodnites inserts that I used to see for sale in some local drug stores had some type of adhesive on the back.

Reactions: DiaperedChase
AJFan2020 said:
My mother used to put a Pamper in my underwear without taping it in place. That was in the early 80s when I was around five to five-and-a-half years old. That was before pull-ups existed by a number of years.

This essentially functioned like a pull-up (at least most of the time). It wasn’t perfect, though. I seem to remember being found out in preschool when I was wearing underwear with elastics that were too loose in the leg area and the small to medium size Pamper fell out. Fortunately it was dry at the time. I’m guessing that avoiding this problem is why the Goodnites inserts that I used to see for sale in some local drug stores had some type of adhesive on the back.
Yeah that’s exactly why adhesive started being put on insert products, to keep from having them fall out and causing leaks or embarrassment.
Sorry that happened to you, you must’ve been mortified.

Back