Potty training and Diaper Loving

akm44

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
All,

Another topic that probably has been covered to some degree before on here. I have a different take on it from my own experience and hoping to hear some feedback from others.

I have zero recollection of being in diapers as a baby/toddler. I have zero memories of when I was being potty trained either. None. Some of my earliest memories are when I was around 4 years old, and anything before that I don't. I assume I was potty trained REALLY young, because photos of me when I was 3 I am not in diapers at all.

I also was a bedwetter until I was 10, but it didn't start right away. Probably from age 6 to 10, and I was in Goodnites every night. I had no diaper loving tendencies at that time and the Goodnites never excited me or were seen as anything other than underwear. My only experince with an actual diaper was a Pampers Baby Dry size 6 when I was 7 and had to wear once for bedtime. Even at age 7, that diaper really fascinated me and I wore another one onetime during the day just for fun.

I fantasized about diapers here and there until I was age 15 when I actually got Pampers Cruisers and have been wearing diapers for the most part ever since. I think because I was potty trained so early, and have no memories of being in diapers as a baby, my mind never experienced what it was like to wear diapers and be cared for in that regard. Sub-consciously I have a longing to experience that part of my young life, which I never will, and the diapers are a way to do so...my theory.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts/input is welcome!

I don't remember being in diapers either. I know some of us find potty training (late, early, or traumatic) to be an important element in their road to being an ABDL. It doesn't seem like anything significant in my case. My initial diaper interest was very young but I think it was more about something different and mysterious.

When I finally stole diapers from family friends at age 10 and after, I wasn't really thinking about them for use. They were too small to fit right even then and it was about the status rather than the function. Getting interested in using them didn't come until I found adult-sized diapers. It has transitioned to being a very important part but I don't think it was there to begin with, which makes me think potty training wasn't that significant a part of it.

I think the answer is there isn't a clear answer most of the times.

My mother wasn't very nurturing growing up and I always loved my dad more and spent more time with him. Although my dad was wonderful, the missing link was the maternal connection, and I never really had that. Since being with my girlfriend/fiance, I have gotten more interested in the AB side of ABDL since she is very nurturing and loving. I have to find the happy medium of not coming on too strong with this to her while balancing needs and desires I am having.

Reactions: Trevor
akm44 said:
I think the answer is there isn't a clear answer most of the times.

My mother wasn't very nurturing growing up and I always loved my dad more and spent more time with him. Although my dad was wonderful, the missing link was the maternal connection, and I never really had that. Since being with my girlfriend/fiance, I have gotten more interested in the AB side of ABDL since she is very nurturing and loving. I have to find the happy medium of not coming on too strong with this to her while balancing needs and desires I am having.
I'm skeptical that this is something we can know with certainty. Even when the thing we associate with it is very clear, I wonder how many others experienced the same things and didn't come out this way? The only way we'd really know how things break down is by performing unethical experiments on developing children and I don't see that happening. The best answer I have at this point is that kinks, fetishes, or strange attractions are more common in men than women and that they often have indications at a very young age. We're hardly alone in having this thing we don't understand the origin of. Everyone is a mystery to a substantial extent, even to themselves. I'm just glad it turned out to be something I could learn to fully enjoy.

The only memory I have is around 3 I would lay across my mom's lap and she would pat my diapered butt. It felt so good back then.

I have a few vague memories of having my diaper changed and also sitting on a ring that went over the toilet seat during potty training. I was adopted at the age of two so I may have been in diapers longer than some children.

I have no memory in diapers or training pants. I do remember one episode when I was like 5 and tried my little brothers diaper and got caught but that was a one time thing. I don’t recall ever having an interest as a kid.

I think I was out of nappies very early and always had an interest in the idea of wearing them again, though when I was young it was just a mixture of curiosity and fantasy... as I got older it became a much stronger desire.

Seems like just as many. if not more, put it down to late potty training though! So you either have nappies taken away from you too soon, or you wear them too long and get excessively attached to them. Surprising that everyone in the world isn’t an ABDL! ;)

I was trained at around 2 years old. I swear I remember bits and pieces of it, but for a long time I didn't really have any proof, but there were details so specific, they had to at least confirm my memories. First was getting the date right and that was using the timestamp that was on old photos that my parents took. Two, was the front tape design on the diapers. I began combing through old magazine ads and subsequently ebay.

Three distinct things stick out. One was that one of the last diapers I wore had a design with bears holding balloons. It's because I remember sitting on the toilet crying because that WAS the last diaper that my mother had and she wouldn't buy anymore. Which diaper was it? welp... it was this.36221342580_8e810eec63.jpg

The second memory was the existence of a Huggies brand diaper that I apparently wore as a kid. It had rainbows, clouds, stars and moons. For a REALLY long time I searched the internet for such a design. Up until a few years ago it was my white whale. Sure enough, I saw this image and instantly knew that what I remembered as a kid was right. See THIS diaper...s-l1600.jpg

The last memory was post potty training. I was at church, still in the nursery because of my age but was wearing underwear. I guess I had to go to the bathroom or was made to, but I distinctly remember sitting on a toilet in a cold dank bathroom. I was left alone unsure of what to do for what I thought was forever. Totally not cool.

Those events as well as an incident where I dramatically wet my pants in front of family(who still bring up the story today), really cement the idea for me that at the whole potty training phase, the idea of being safe and secure became synonymous with wearing a diaper. The sudden and mind altering removal of them from my life created a need....very much like people who were attached to their blankies/stuffed animals.

Although I have a few early memories of wearing, I don’t actually remember being potty trained. I doubt it would have been traumatic.
I remember being petrified of having accidents, not because I was ever punished for it but because I remember kids (usually boys) at school becoming upset to the point of hysterical if it happened to them. I think the prospect of nappies as a protection from that distress may have been a factor.

For me, I never felt that potty training itself led me on to be a DL, but I keep thinking about it often. Can't remember much of that process. There was once, after my #1 training that I remember clearly. My mum tried to get me to do #2 on the toilet by putting a diaper on the toilet, on a potty seat, and I was refusing. Can't remember the outcome though. Ultimately, the thing that pulled me back to diapers was a series of dreams (of friends wearing them) when I was about 6, though it would still be years before I actually got my hands on a 'sample'.

From the above responses as well as in previous threads, there doesn't seem to be a direct link. Maybe just DLs are more likely to be 'created' from the onset of toilet training versus ABs and AB/DLs, cos for the latter two groups wanting to experience infant-like feelings and diapers are a smaller part of their whole picture. As for DLs, we are more likely to report an unexplainable attraction (which might several possible factors), and potty training just might be one of them.

But it does bring the question up for those who say that they wore diapers/pullups during a bedwetting place - was their situation happier in that time of their lives, compared to the time when they figured out they were ABDL? Is it all just an association with a bygone era that was better? Just some thoughts I personally think about sometimes.

I don't remember diapers or wearing them. but I do remember potty training. I was confused as I had an older brother and when he was bad he would be grounded not allowed to go outside. Well the day I was being potty trained I was not allowed to go outside, and I did not know what I did wrong to be "grounded"

I don't recall anything from that early in my life; it seems like my interest in diapers started to develop when my younger cousins started coming along.

I have virtually no memories of being potty trained, but according to what my mother told me, I was quite eager to be potty trained, but sometime after I was, I ended up wanting to wear diapers again.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't remember a thing about being potty trained.
I must of been trained early somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3ish based on photos. All I remember is a red potty in the bathroom but even then I think that could of been for my younger sister not me who was potty training.

No memories of potty training, but I know I was either three years old or almost three. Bit late, maybe. Mom is currently typing up her diaries from my childhood, so I expect I'll have exact dates soon. Should be interesting! I do remember lying in bed as a three-year-old and having my bedtime diaper pinned on. It's one of two memories I can positively identify from age three, the other being related to my grandma's death. One of those two memories is my oldest. That, too, might be resolved more clearly by a look and Mom's diaries.

I have no reason to believe that potty training stresses or timing caused me to like diapers, but my interest in diapers was definitely around pretty early on. I was borrowing my younger sister's diapers at age five or six, and was always captivated by the sight of younger kids running around in diapers or having their diapers changed. I'd become so jealous I could hardly bear it!

I don't think any of us stands a chance of deciphering the origins of our diaper interests. Not in any meaningful way. For every one of us who claims that a particular potty training event or bedwetting (or something else) led to our being ABDL, a thousand or more vanillas can claim the same experience. The idea that a single event or factor causes this is plainly quite naive. Back in the early days, when I was victim to some self-loathing over the whole diaper thing, I wondered if I'd ever know the cause of it all. There is a cause, of course. I don't dwell on it much anymore, though if somebody could tell me, I'd listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: DylanLewis and Trevor
Back