Potty training age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
This isn't meant to sound creepy, weird, or sexual at all, simply unusual.

My job involves me visiting clients houses and taking measurements. Yesterday I had one such appointment, at 2pm. It's summer school holidays in Australia, and hot.

The house I visited had a young-ish mother, and four kids there. The kids had all been watching a movie in the bedroom, but started following me around and asking me questions as I went about my job.

There was a boy who was obviously the biggest and eldest, and it turns out he had just turned 13. A middle girl, and 2 younger boys. The 2 youngest boys were extremely similar in height and appearance, although one was a bit larger. The 13 year old wore sweatpants but no shirt, the girl had a dress on, but the 2 youngest were wearing only diapers, and nothing else.

As the kids were following me, the mother took them into the lounge room and gave them each some cake, which the biggest boy explained was his birthday cake, and he'd just turned 13. This was how the subject of their ages came up.

When the mother and I left the room, I asked her if the 2 youngest boys were twins, as they looked so similar, although not identical.

That's when she dropped the bombshell, telling me the smaller boy was 3, but his brother was 5.

I was actually gobsmacked to see a 5 year old happily spending the day wearing nothing but a diaper. A bit later he asked me what I was doing, and I think by the way he spoke he may have some developmental issues, as I could understand his 3 year old brother better than I could him.

I wore diapers for bed wetting until I was 10, and had no problem wearing openly around my parents, but I only ever rarely wore during the day, and by the time I was five I would never have let anyone apart from my folks see me in my diapered state. This little fella had no such issues though, and happily sat on the floor eating, or playing in just his disposable.

Apart from myself at that age, he would be the oldest kid I've encountered wearing a day nappy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mother could of at least put some shorts on them but apparently she nor any of the kids cared.

My son has autism and it was a real chore getting him potty trained.

My mother in law finally was able to get his out of diapers a week before he started Kindergarten.

So I could see why.

Thats actually not that un-common some people take longer to potty train and others never do grow out of wearing diapers the last time I wore diapers as a child post potty training age was in 1988 when I was 8 and used to wear them at times to secretly regress back to more innocent times.

I wear diapers nowadays as a 36 year old male and I know some people can't accept that or view me as weird/deranged but the truth I they don't know how hard I was for me in my childhood years because of constant bullying and the fact that I have severe autism and other learning difficulties and suffer from ptsd as a result.

I also have physical disabilities in the form of I cant walk properly because my bones in my legs are permanently twisted outward and I have minor neurological damage from past epileptic seizure's which thankfully I don't suffer from anymore but still have the after effects.

Next year I am looking at going into care because of my disabilities and because I no longer want to be a burden on my aging pearents who are almost in their 70's by now, plus I really need my Indipendace and privacy that a place of my own or a shared place soul bring, I know you don't usually hear of younger people going into care unless they have a terminal illness or something but the fact is I need somewhere where I can be cared for and understood for who I am.

Sorry to put all these issues on this page/reply but they are legitimate concerns as I need to live my own life and if that means going back to becoming a baby/toddler again so be it as long as I have someone to look after my needs.

Yours sincerely
Chinababy888

Wombat said:
I wore diapers for bed wetting until I was 10, and had no problem wearing openly around my parents, but I only ever rarely wore during the day, and by the time I was five I would never have let anyone apart from my folks see me in my diapered state. This little fella had no such issues though, and happily sat on the floor eating, or playing in just his disposable.

This is actually getting more and more common now as millenials are starting to raise kids. Plus today's high schoolers were born after goodnites started production they grew up with the knowledge that even some teens wear diapers for bed wetting. And just like ADHD and other developmental issues bedwetting in children is getting more common as well. And kids, statistics speaking, in first world countries are being potty trained later and staying in diapers and pullups much longer. It's slowly becoming norm for kids under 7 to have diapers or pullups on hand or readily avalible. My son's school requires I keep at least two normal packs of pullups or one case of pullups in the office for him as he's what the nurse considers a chronic day wetter. He has at minimum 1 wetting accident a day, and average of 3 days a week comes home in a pullup. With wet clothes and any wet pullups he had to change before school let out. It's so frequent I bought him a solid red medical backpack just for wet clothes and pullup transport to and from school. (Our district requires clear plastic bags only any solid bag must be medical so transporting diapers to and from school in 3rd grade I got him approved for a medical bag)

w0lfpack91 said:
(Our district requires clear plastic bags only any solid bag must be medical so transporting diapers to and from school in 3rd grade I got him approved for a medical bag)

Wait, clear plastic bags for like, bookbags and stuff?

Fire2box said:
Clear see through plastic backpacks. Unless it's special circumstances school staff must be able to see all contents in the bag at all times. Makes it difficult for him with having to take pullups in every so often and bringing home wet clothes/pullups every day. I got him cleared for a red medical backpack for taking his pullups to the nurse and bringing home his wet clothes.

It happens, but I disagree that it's some kind of trend. Schools simply don't have the time or the human resources to deal with diapers on anything but an exceptional basis. That, plus society's generally-negative opinion of older children in diapers means that there will always be a strong incentive to get children potty-trained by age three. Beyond this age, a child in diapers full time will either be suffering from a medical or developmental issue, or from absentee parenting. IMO.

We had a niece who was only a couple of months from turning five when she finally potty-trained. How was her training accomplished? Her mom just decided one day that she was sick of changing diapers so she told her daughter, "These diapers are too small, and there are no more sizes. You're too big for diapers!" Presto! Her daughter was using the toilet that day. On why this wasn't addressed sooner: Niece and mom had a harrowing few years, and mom was very distracted. Her husband had died, she'd had to move in with her mom (my mother-in-law), and her mom as going through a bitter divorce. And both were struggling to find stable work, having not worked in years. It was a really bad situation, so potty training was simply down the priority list.

That's what I was thinking... I know safety is paramount, but talk about social engineering eroding basic freedoms like privacy at such a young age.

I'm with the government, I'm here to help... hahahaha

Some kids take longer to get fully potty trained due to a mental or physical disability. I was in state custody when I was 17 and the was this seven-year-old that was still in pull-ups. Every time he'd pull down his pants outside, everyone would see Lightning McQueen's face on the front. The staff had to get him to use the toilet because they didn't want to deal with any of that. He was the smallest kid in the home I was in, and I bet he could fit into pampers size 4.

pampers4U said:

That's what I was thinking... I know safety is paramount, but talk about social engineering eroding basic freedoms like privacy at such a young age.
cc52646063bf3f40125837752cac6786.jpg

Basicly a bag like this. It was either this or metal detectors the county voted on this

Are they really worried about 8 year old gun toting terrorists?

Our last superintendent was a massive Liberal SJW douche bag. He always took things way too far. He was fired for abusing and discriminating against non minority faculty and students. This is one of his policies that was actually very mild and stuck around. It's actually a decent policy when I was a kid we used to hide all kinds of things in our backpacks take them to school that we weren't supposed to this cut back on that

All I can say is that if my mother saw this she'd take half a fit... over the three-year-old in diapers too, not just the five-year-old. To my mother, kids get potty trained at two. She might be more tolerant if the kid had some kind of condition, but otherwise, it wouldn't fly with her.

Unless the kid was disabled in some way, let's face it, five is too damn old to be in diapers full time and not in the process of potty training. There's just really no good reason why a healthy, normally-developed kid at that age shouldn't be learning to use the toilet. It may be parental laziness, it may be the kid's resistance, but it's something that has to be done.

I know we all have our opinions, how we think diapers are so much better than the toilet, how we may wish we got to stay in diapers longer as kids - but the fact of the matter is that's not how much of the rest of the world sees it. Despite our fantasies, kids need to be toilet trained whether they like it or not. Most will get the hang of it eventually and go on with their lives. Some will become ab/dl, but at least they'll still have the toilet-training skills to get by normally in the world.

Reactions: sambus
Each and every kid trains differently. Who are we to judge what age their out of diapers at?

SnowBlitz said:
Each and every kid trains differently. Who are we to judge what age their out of diapers at?
Fair point considering most of us are still in them

I love how some people are a bit judgemental about older kids in diapers. These same people who still wear, and use them or training pants or w/e the equivalent is. Kinda throwing stones at glass houses imo.

DiaperMark said:
Are they really worried about 8 year old gun toting terrorists?

Society has really gone mad, hasn't it? I'm only in my 30s, and when I was a kid, I wandered the entire town, riding my bike probably an hour away from home often to go shops (to buy trading cards) or playgrounds on my own ... when I was 8-10. By 11-13, I was going to movie theaters on my own, and riding my bike even when it was dark outside. By 15-16 I was driving and had a job.

Now you get charged with abandonment if your 12 year old kid ventures out of eyesight with you in public. All this nanny state protectionism despite us being safer than we've ever been, with lower crime than we've had before.

Infuriating. It's all so the media can keep up their ratings by whipping us up into a constant state of fear and paranoia.

If a kid is determined, all they have to do is put something between two books in those transparent backpacks. Bad things are gonna happen, that's life. It sucks sometimes.

AddyShadows said:
I love how some people are a bit judgemental about older kids in diapers. These same people who still wear, and use them or training pants or w/e the equivalent is. Kinda throwing stones at glass houses imo.

You do have to worry about it because of bullying. If other kids weren't such hateful little monsters, and I had the money, then I'd let my (theoretical) kids train at their own pace.

But knowing how badly they'd suffer from bullying and ridicule for it once they hit school, I'd reluctantly try and train them by four at the latest.

Just gotta emphasize that bedwetting is never something to be ashamed of or punished for.

SnowBlitz said:

Well, but we judge every other aspect of childhood development. We don't let kids choose when it's ok to learn to read, write, or do math. If they don't start walking and talking by certain ages, we worry. If they suck their thumbs, pick their noses, or burp without saying "excuse me", we're immediately there with a lesson or a consequence.

And really, when a child has learned to speak and has mastered just about every other muscle in his or her body, why should we assume that the sphincter muscles are beyond control? I see potty training "readiness" as an invention--a handy reason that a parent can comfort him or herself with after the child throws a tantrum and refuses to sit on the potty. In reality, though, I think parents of "unready" three- and four-year-olds have simply missed how it is that small children learn. How do they learn to walk? They copy their parents. How do they learn to speak? They copy their parents. How do they learn to use the toilet? Their parents place them on a potty and encourage them to use it. Wait... What?

Kids are born copy-cats. They're ready to learn this kind of thing from a very early age. We just have to be comfortable modeling it, because there's no surer way to get a toddler to do something than to do it first. If you define potty training as introducing a child to the toilet and telling the child to use it, and if you define readiness as a willingness to follow directions, then yeah, your child is going to be in diapers for quite a while. But that's not on them.

Reactions: AJFan2020
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back