Potential Cuases of Leaks

ParaRomeo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Though currently trying few things out trying to figure things out and anyone thats been in diapers for a while understands if truly IC controled tests are hard because you really can't repeat everything.

So I have a Hypothetical solution that I am currently trying. But figured I would throw this out there maybe someone in similar Situations. I normally I have heavier voids so to add insult I take meds that make me pee more if that's possible (oh it is ) normal diapers are Abena L4 with and without boosters special use Rearz normally inspire + overnight

Being slightly overweight and seated (paralyzed) my male parts tend to retract so with voids it goes every direction. My main issue was leaks out the top but putting small rectangular boosters at top of diapers was a solution but still had occasional leaks and it wasn't till the other day I got to thinking. Alot of the abdl brands are designed to absorb floods and heavier voids because their can be a difference between medical flow and choosing to wet yourself. But this confused me because it seemed like even if it was heavy void there shouldn't be an issue which lead me to question or try to think where issue maybe and it hit me I always use booster pads & wondering where the diaper can handle floods and heavier void maybe the booster pads can't.

So my current test is rectangular pad across belly and the one that goes in the diaper is folded down(where male parts are) but still in place to extend use. My current theory is the boosters can't handle heavy voids or the amount at one time & since I can't control my male parts(normally most advise to point downward for beat chances or less leaks) I am hoping if I happen to having a super heavy void where abdl diapers are made to handle them that will take brunt and boosters will slowly absorb.

Figured out this up because I know leaks do haunt some of us

Reactions: Diprs2

BelGeorge

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
It is my experience that using a booster can cause leaks, probably because the leak guards can't function the way they are supposed to? If you fill the space between the leak guards with 1 or more boosters, then there is not much space left for the pee to stay before it gets absorbed, and it flows over the leak guards. Same thing happens while sitting in a (almost) saturated diaper.
That's why I prefer a diaper with a higher absorbancy over one with a lower absorbancy + booster.

I don't use boosters in high capacity diapers very often, since I find that they are no longer comfortable like that.

Reactions: Diprs2, LePew and todderhr

CheshireCat

Neuromuscular Disability
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I lost half my length due to prostate cancer surgery, and with complete ED, retracted has become the norm. I'm also on a specialized diuretic for my genetic disorder, so very heavy voids if seated for a long period of time. I am not overweight.

There are only a few diapers that work well for me: MEGAMAX, which is my preference, and BetterDry.

Both of these diapers have padding that comes up much higher in front. That allows for a band of padding across my abdomen that the tapes hold in place, even when seated. The diaper will then naturally crease at the hip line above the penis, keeping the penis contained within the fast absorption zone and preventing peeing over or over saturating the front padding.

Both of these diapers have deep leak guards as well, which really helps, especially when it comes to a booster. When wearing a booster during the day, I position the it lower down in the diaper, so that I wet the front of the diaper and the front edge of the booster together. That seems to absorb the fastest and leaks the least. It also prevents the appearance of a ridiculous cod piece. When I change the booster is always fully saturated from front to back, and the diaper is fully saturated in front, through the crotch and 3-4 inches past the booster. So the booster is not an intermediary between you and the diaper, but works in parallel with the diaper. Instead of interfering with the diaper, it allows the diaper to do what it does best, while the booster increases total absorbency and helps with wicking. But it still comes down to the depth of the leak guards and how well they prevent leaks while the diaper and booster absorb and lock in a large void.

I hope you find a method that gives you the excellent results every time.

ParaRomeo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So the leaks I experience usually seem to be out the front top or that's where I am wet so it's not the leg guards. Why I mentioned pulling the booster down almost sounds like what CC mentioned the boosters do well with spreading wetness where I think the issue is so I have use Tranquility Super Plus Contour boosters for probably 10yrs I am wondering when I have larger voids if the booster just can't handle it or absorb quick enough like some of the higher capacity diapers can. So like I went out last night and wore a Rearz Alpaca I placed 1 booster straight down the middle but when I went to fasten the diaper I folded it down basically where my balls are I did place a rectangular booster across my pelvic or lower abdomen (just above where most padding stops and with few adult drinks unlike last week no leaks no issues. I got diapered around 430pm got home around 11 and diaper was pretty full and where I was going to bed soon it was getting changed anyways.

But I am sort of trying this method of not placing the booster in direct path but still used. I have only tried it once but it worked. Like I mentioned I am thinking unlike alot of abdl brands and high cap diapers the boosters just can't absorb as quickly when I have the higher voids but like at night I normally don't take the pill that makes me pee more so it's when a booster works well because it's many voids over longer period of time so like at night for most part depending on what I drank I can usually do well with Abena L4 and Tranquility Booster of it's a night I either need to take the med that makes me pee or I had many adult drinks I normally wear cloth diapers or super high cap diaper. Though its not a huge issue for me being paralyzed cloth diapers or my night ones are very bulky but never leaked once I figured out the right combination but I can manage the same way traveling with a high cap diaper and booster or if I know laundry is going to be a pain.

I just wondered and it does seem like others have though about booster placement or the absorbency rate of them compared to the host product. But like I mentioned I very rarely have a leak around my legs most of not all are either top or sides but having the booster pads across top helps stop side leaks. I mentioned in a different post but padding shape does make a difference like if you look at Tranquility ATN the padding is like a capital [===] where alot are hour glass shaped ⌛(====) not say the ATN is better just saying the way their padding is layed out help with leaks towards tops and sides as padding depending on person can touch hips where hourglass stops at lower abd or pelvic area. Again I could be wrong but it's a theory I am testing and it might be just something that works for me but it could also be something that works for others

CheshireCat

Neuromuscular Disability
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I believe your theory is correct.

Finding the right placement of quick absorbency and locked in absorbency for one's own specific needs is paramount in preventing leaks. Your physical size, how well your diaper fits you, how you sit in your wheelchair, all make a difference in how well "the system" will work for you. What works for me may not work whatsoever for you, but sharing it might give you an idea to build off of, much like why you started this thread.

Many companies have had product out for a long time with no change (Tranquility), or change for the worse (Abena, Molicare). New companies and some older companies have released significantly better products (Northshore, Rearz, ABU, Tykables). Meanwhile, we have become better at managing, while still looking for better ways to manage our incontinence. You're looking the right diaper and booster combination that works best for your situation.

What would you consider your gold standard that is bulletproof, so to say, though it may not be good for wearing out and about? Understanding why that works so well for you might help you figure out the best disposable diaper/booster combination for you.

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I think many diapers have an absorption problem when you sit. Of course, you can try to solve this with boosters - but a condom urinal is often the better option. This depends of course on whether one is also stool incontinent - however, the stool problem can also be limited with irrigation and nutrition. In case of doubt, it can also be a solution that combines both methods. In this case, it may even be possible to use thinner pads, which may increase comfort.