d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Well, it is medical marijuana. The idea of teaching a pot growing class in a university seems pretty outlandish to us, but only because it's a new thing. Cannabis has a wide range of medicinal uses (not just for the eyes either, as some would have you believe) with a very low side effects list.

There's a reason medicinal cannabis is legal in some parts of the world.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
I can see teaching the class outside the college but to offer it as a class seems odd to me. All a person that gets caught growing(illegally) is to implecate the college and there will be hec to pay. Eh...oh well

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I doubt the college will be implicated in any way. If they're offering this class a legitimate credited course in a field of horticulture (with the intent on the growth of marijuana specifically intended for medicinal purposes), then surely they a) have people sign forms that say, "We won't grow pot outside of class," b) the pot grown in class will not be consumed by students, c) we cannot utilize our growing knowledge outside of the class-room or for our own personal pleasure or profit.

Personally, though, I find it a bit ... strange. The class is there for education -- but I can damned well bet that the reason it's full until May is because you've got a lot of "burn out" kids rolling in there to take this "har har pot rocks" class.

I think it should be limited to those people getting degrees in medicine who intend to work in a field where the legal medical commercialization and use of marijuana will be integral to to their field.

Then again, someone would just raise the "YOUR COLLEGE IS BIASED" flag and cause an uproar.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Cant quote Atm so this a response to the above points

From The Article said:
In the lab, Lee measured plant food into a plastic garbage can and explained how, with common sense, upgraded electrical outlets, a fan and an air filter, students can grow pot at home for fun, health, public service — or profit.
From The Article said:
Students gave various reasons for enrolling. Some said they were simply curious. Others said they wanted tips for growing their own weed, although judging from the questions, a few were ready for the graduate seminar Lee recently added to the curriculum.
From The Article said:
and are instructed in the legalities of a business that is against the law in the eyes of the federal government.
Wonder what they teach in this part of the class?

From The Article said:
At the end of the class, students are given a take-home test, with the highest scorer — make that "top scorer" — earning the title of class valedictorian.
Considering what the class is about I wonder what A "take home test" entails and if they get caught the college will darn well be implecated...then again it is cali i have heard the are extremely lax on cannabis laws.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
This is not about drugs it is about the class being offered at oakland u that has a controversial subject that I thought was funny and wanted other peoples opion on. Nothing else.

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
theyre teachin' their students how to grow their own weed. That can save you lots of money in the future (Economics!)

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Why do you always make posts about drugs?
I will say this:

I am not a drug-user, nor do I condone the use of drugs or mind-altering substances. However, there is nothing wrong in being educated in how they are used, their dangers, and what they can do to someone.

If I remember correctly, 4lyfe's drug-related posts on the old forums were always quite informative to me. I never had a problem posting on said threads, because I was always entering a discussion of mild debate, and one mostly of curiosity. Though I won't use drugs, there is no problem with being educated in them, either.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I never said there was a problem, at all I was just curious to know why d4l is always going on about drugs, he has even been defending them a few times in irc (I remember a huge argument about e...). And before anyone else says, yes I have talked about doing drugs and stuff too, but that was only a couple of times when I was in one of those funny moods, I definitely wouldn't say anything good about them now. Considering that this site is mostly people under the age of 18 and considering that people of that age are quite impressionable I'd say it isn't great to talk about drugs unless it's saying things against and providing real facts (what it does to your body and whatnot) about drug use. I'm not trying to have a shot at you with this d4l btw, was just asking...

Reactions: Ben

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
a few times in irc (I remember a huge argument about e...)
I was not defending them i was corecting some of the long held myths surrounding E How can we change anything for better or worse if everyone is ignorant?

And before anyone else says, yes I have talked about doing drugs and stuff too, but that was only a couple of times when I was in one of those funny moods,
Irrelevant

I'd say it isn't great to talk about drugs unless it's saying things against and providing real facts (what it does to your body and whatnot) about drug use.
Read my earlier post this was not about drugs its about a class offered at a college that made the news. Should you like to know why i bolded that particular word please pm me as i won't discuss it out in the open.

I'm not trying to have a shot at you with this d4l btw, was just asking...
I didn't take it as a shot. I aplaud inquisitive minds.

That is amusing that they offer such a class

Where's my rep?
If you have neutral(0) rep it does not show up until you go positive or negative.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
It's an FBI scam - people who attend will afterwards be under close watch. It's like a police officer turning around a no parking sign just so people think they can legally park there, and then he'll issue a ticket! :biggrin:

Peachy

Ben

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
The federal gov't does not accept medical marijuana i would bet that if the federal gov't chooses it could arrest the teacher and all the students.

I personally am against marijuana... people smoking cigarettes is bad enough i really don't need to go around smelling marijuana... as far as i'm concerned both cigarettes and marijuana should be illegal.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I don't see what the big deal is...but then again I live in Canada. At Dalhousie University here in Halifax they teach "beer making" (only in Canada, eh!) I wouldn't be surprised if, as part of the medical research department, they also offer (or at least have though of offering) medical marijuana growing/harvesting/etc. Maybe they could grow marijuana in the engineering classes too...harvest it for hemp to be used in the making of ropes and such...yep...I can see marijuana as a big seller on campus (as a CLASS, not as a recreation! :p)

D

daria7483

Well, it's actually Oaksterdam University, a new trade school preparing students for jobs in "the thriving medical marijuana industry."

From wikipedia:
Oaksterdam is a cultural district on the north end of Downtown Oakland, California where medical cannabis is readily, and legally, available for purchase in a variety of preparations, smokeable and edible, in different cafes, clubs, and patient dispensaries. According to Proposition 215, a statewide voter initiative which amended the California Health and Safety Code, marijuana used for medical purposes is legal to buy. Dispensaries usually require a doctor's note in order to obtain medical cannabis, which is legal under California Law but illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act.

So, it's actually legal to buy medical marijuana there. I'm glad they offer the class then, might as well show people the right way to grow it and use it medically.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Oaksterdam... really now, don't you think they could be a little bit more original with the name? i mean, it can only be called such if they had a class on sexual solicitation.
with aspirin causing roughly 7,000 deaths a year, i'm not to concerned with people growing or smoking marijuana. even the uproar over legalizing saliva divornium has died down since no one has actually caused harm or died from it. the fact that people on what used to be considered heavy psychosis medicine back in the 70's are now popping pills left and right (and taking out whole schools when they can't afford it) i would like to see a new cheap and affordable alternative come forth.
all in all with the way things are in this world if no one is causing other people harm from whatever it is that they do then the government shouldn't be involved just as long as you're above 18 years of age.

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur
Well, it's actually Oaksterdam University, a new trade school preparing students for jobs in "the thriving medical marijuana industry."

From wikipedia:
Oaksterdam is a cultural district on the north end of Downtown Oakland, California where medical cannabis is readily, and legally, available for purchase in a variety of preparations, smokeable and edible, in different cafes, clubs, and patient dispensaries. According to Proposition 215, a statewide voter initiative which amended the California Health and Safety Code, marijuana used for medical purposes is legal to buy. Dispensaries usually require a doctor's note in order to obtain medical cannabis, which is legal under California Law but illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act.

So, it's actually legal to buy medical marijuana there. I'm glad they offer the class then, might as well show people the right way to grow it and use it medically.
From my limited knowledge of US law, I understand that if a state law contradicts a federal law, it's invalid. So, that would mean marijuana is illegal, right? In that case... how could they teach people how to grow it?

Can someone who knows the law better than me explain this, please?

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well I would think it comes down to enforcement, really. If the state does not care, it's up to the federal government to enforce it?? I'm not sure, but seems to me that it would still be illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.