Post-Whoreing and Post Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Private
I am curious.

To what end is post count useful? Besides a general opinion that we each form of the quality of others' posts, how are we to know if someone with 1,000 posts got there with 750 insightful posts, 100 admin posts, 100 greeting posts, and 25 posts that were off-topic and "mature area" (versus 900 posts of crap and 10 replies saying, "me too")?

I'm talking about measuring apples and apples here. Putting rep aside (as that's only visible under 10, IIRC), how is someone new to tease apart two members with 1,000 posts?

I would suggest that the distribution of post cont could provide insight into the user and their behaviors (and therefore be useful), but fail to see how the total is useful.

Thoughts?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
How would it be useful? Sure, I'd be curious to know my distribution of posts, but I don't see much use in it...Is there really that big of a problem with new people "teasing"(?) apart members?

Role
  1. Private
How would it be useful? Sure, I'd be curious to know my distribution of posts, but I don't see much use in it...Is there really that big of a problem with new people "teasing"(?) apart members?

I don't know about new members.

However, I should have also said, "besides Pojo being able to rape others with his post count, how are these useful?" :D That correction made, how else is post count useful?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I don't know about new members.

Well you said "how is someone new supposed to tease apart..."

However, I should have also said, "besides Pojo being able to rape others with his post count, how are these useful?" :D That correction made, how else is post count useful?

I don't know of any ways in which post count is useful...But most forums have it displayed...It's not like it's a controversial topic like rep...Why fix something that's not broken?

Role
  1. Private
Well you said "how is someone new supposed to tease apart..."
I was building out an argument for the only vague reason I could see for post count being ... useful.

I don't know of any ways in which post count is useful...But most forums have it displayed...It's not like it's a controversial topic like rep...Why fix something that's not broken?
Aha. I agree with you here; it doesn't seem useful. Onward, status quo! :hug:

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other

And who posts the first reply? >.> we have a winna!:laugh:
Tease:
1 a: to disentangle and lay parallel by combing or carding <tease wool> b: teasel
2: to tear in pieces ; especially : to shred (a tissue or specimen)for microscopic examination

In this instance it is appropriate to the process of dissecting the posts of different members to examine the different details of the posters to analyze the qualitative aspects of their writings in an effort to assign a "value" to the input they have provided, and give their postings an appropriate "weight" in determining the relevance of their posts on a given subject.

*whew*

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private

Duh...

Tease:
1 a: to disentangle and lay parallel by combing or carding <tease wool> b: teasel
2: to tear in pieces ; especially : to shred (a tissue or specimen)for microscopic examination

I figured...I've just never heard "tease" used like that

In this instance it is appropriate to the process of dissecting the posts of different members to examine the different details of the posters to analyze the qualitative aspects of their writings in an effort to assign a "value" to the input they have provided, and give their postings an appropriate "weight" in determining the relevance of their posts on a given subject.

*whew*

But what's the point? What would we really learn...Take me for example...When I post, I don't look through each board...I click the "new posts" button, and I just look at threads that look interesting...So it doesn't really have any correlation to the board I'm posting on...If I happen to post more on say, "Off Topic", then that's just coincidence...It's not that I find the Off Topic board more interesting

Role
  1. Private
Tease:

*whew*

Now we just need to agree on a scale. ;)

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
But what's the point?

I was just expanding the definition, not trying to validate the statement. I don't know if there is a point beyond the instance I gave. You would REALLY have to want that data to go through the amount of work it would take to get it.

Now we just need to agree on a scale. ;)

Copy that:rolleyes:

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Nice idea but the "insightful posts" bit is a very subjective bit. Most things also can not be sorted automatically (the ones you suggested) and would mean that someone has to go through 168000 posts. I don't know about you but that's a little bit too much work for me. Even if everything was done there are tons of posts a day to keep up with it would already require 5-6 people (as you have to make a decision on EVERY post)

Nice idea but I don't think it's feasible.

Role
  1. Private
What does it matter differentiating between good and bad posts? The counter is simply meant to indicate how many posts that person has made. Who cares if it's 87% good posts, or whatever... it's a post count, it's meant to count how many posts that person has made, nothing more.

To answer your "tease apart" question, by the time people here reach 1000 posts, the community usually is able to form an opinion of them because they are somewhat prominent and "out-there" on the forum.

However, more so, people here form opinions based on the how the person behaves and responds on the forum. I think post count is a largely irrelevant feature, but for tradition sake, all forums tend to have it.

E

Error404

I won't lie. I personally find Pojos spam posts a bad representation of this forums administration and rather annoying. It's like a more polite b-game.

Post count means nothing. Our more seasoned members command respect because they post thorough and detailed posts of which are informative and/or helpful.

Post count if ANYTHING, just gives you an idea of how much a person posts in comparative to their join date.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Personally I look at average posts a day more than post count, and even then it isn't a sign of anything more than how much time you have to post. I have lots of time to post, hence I have what I think is a relatively big post count for my join date. There are quite a few people on this site with small post counts I respect, and quite a few with big post counts I respect. Also quite a few with small and big post counts I don't respect.

It is very simple:
  • Quality > Quantity
  • Quality and Quantity can both be present
  • Quality and quantity can both be missing

People here make there opinions based not on how much you say, but what is said. However, going through posts and only recognising quality ones is subjective, and would require a team of people to get it done. Good idea, not good in practicality.

The closest thing we had to this was when you could see rep post by post (very early in my time here). However, after much discussion, it was found the general attitude to this was that it caused more problems then it solved and it was gotten rid of.

It would be nice if it would work, but I don't see how it would. Too much effort put in, for what you get out of it.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
You're all putting *way* too much thought into this. I mean, come on, is post count really such a big deal? Can't we talk about... the weather?

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
If the rep count can be hidden when it is over 10, could the post count be hidden too, once an agreed upon threshold is exceeded.
This might take away the race to have the most posts, and help to favour quality over quantity.
I think this would be fairly easy to do, the only hard part would be deciding where the line is.
Just a suggestion, if it is not practical, please ignore.

Sorry, about the wording, I have been making custom WinXP OS and I do not have the use of an apostrophe at the moment. èèèèèè, damb ripped out one to many keyboards.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Thanks Point Blanch,

Now if you know how to insert a keyboard layout into a working copy of WinXP, that would really be helpful, Damb question mark gone too.

Back to google!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got questions-------need answers-----lol

No worries people....I've got the problem solved.

Last edited:
E

Error404

If the rep count can be hidden when it is over 10, could the post count be hidden too, once an agreed upon threshold is exceeded.
This might take away the race to have the most posts, and help to favour quality over quantity.
I think this would be fairly easy to do, the only hard part would be deciding where the line is.
Just a suggestion, if it is not practical, please ignore.

Sorry, about the wording, I have been making custom WinXP OS and I do not have the use of an apostrophe at the moment. èèèèèè, damb ripped out one to many keyboards.

Alt+0146

I'll PM you this info too just in case you don't get it.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I won't lie. I personally find Pojos spam posts a bad representation of this forums administration and rather annoying. It's like a more polite b-game.

Wow, I guess I'm not the only one that is getting tired of it.

If we get rid of that, then there are pretty much no statistics available on a user. I still don't understand why rep +10 is hidden. If we start hiding the post count, before long, every post written will be anonymous.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private

I don't know what you're referring to by "spam posts", but it's not my problem...I'm not forcing you to read them, so you don't have to...You really didn't need to calll me out directly like that though, a simple PM works just was well (maybe even better)

Wow, I guess I'm not the only one that is getting tired of it.

I was going to respond with something that could get me negged (more than likely), but I just won't respond (other than this)

Status
Not open for further replies.