Popular things you didn't enjoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
So yeah, what are some popular or revered things you just don't like - can be anything from films considered to be 'classics', to foods everyone else seems to like, or much-loved famous figures you just don't get the appeal of. I'll start us off...

'1984' by George Orwell - Includes some prescient and accurate predictions about the future which have obscured the fact that this is a truly tedious novel which sledgehammers its point home in the most boring way possible. I actually enjoy some of Orwell's other works, but as an engaging text, I found this to be a failure.

Olives - No. Go away Olives. You're not tasty.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - It's clever, it's kind of original, and on paper the cast is pretty stellar. But it's just not funny or engaging. I watched the first two seasons, hoping it would be even half as good as Seinfeld (which Larry David wrote brilliantly for), and it was nowhere close. Perhaps I'm missing something?!

Last edited:

bean

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Pokemon was REALLY big when I was in grade school, and seems to continue to be somewhat of a cultural touchstone among my peers. I tried to get into it when I was a kid, but I never really connected with it. I still don't really understand the appeal, but to each their own.

I think olives are one of my favorite foods ;p

Sanch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Pokemon was REALLY big when I was in grade school, and seems to continue to be somewhat of a cultural touchstone among my peers. I tried to get into it when I was a kid, but I never really connected with it. I still don't really understand the appeal, but to each their own.

I think olives are one of my favorite foods ;p

I kind of agree, Bean. I quite liked Pokemon, but never understood why so many people were absolutely obsessed with it. I feel exactly the same way you do about Pokemon with MLP. One of my best friends is a Brony and has tried to explain the lure of the whole thing, but I just don't get the appeal.

I'm not with you on Olives. They are terrible. :p

kitterdafoxy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
olives are on my signature sub sandwich that has become a subway legend at our local subway

here is what makes up "The Dagger", my signature sub

12 Inch Italian herb and cheese bread
Lettuce
Tomato
Onion
Roughly 3 cups of black olives
banana peppers
a FEW jalapeños
a bit of yellow mustard
a bit of brown mustard
half a bottle of honey mustard

not surprisingly, I'm the only person who orders this sub...

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
So yeah, what are some popular or revered things you just don't like...

'1984' by George Orwell - Includes some prescient and accurate predictions about the future which have obscured the fact that this is a truly tedious novel which sledgehammers its point home in the most boring way possible. I actually enjoy some of Orwell's other works, but as an engaging text, I found this to be a failure.

Gasp! :giggles: I loved "Nineteen Eighty-Four"! Somehow I was drawn into the world, and the absurd lengths to which an ideology was taken. Absolutely brilliant.

I read Orwell's "Coming Up for Air" some time later, and that was a dreary book. I hadn't heard anything about it. (And seriously, read the "plot description" on Wikipedia! Who thought that would make a good story?! And it's even more dreary and depressing than it sounds!) But I do keep meaning to read Animal Farm... But anyway...
----

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley
. is well-known and widely acclaimed, much like "1984". So many people think it's a work of genius, and (to me), it seems like an idea for a vaguely interesting sci-fi film. But... the way it's written is terrible! Every character in it is dull and wooden, with no personality. It's like a physical concept has been sketched out with no thought to the people in the story. I don't understand why so many people rave about it...

Football. (Okay... any professional spectator sport.) Why? Just... why? It's a game... A fun, jolly game. Why do people get so excited about something that should be "a bit of a laugh"? Why do they care who kicks the ball in a particularly "good" way? Why do they tend to support a particular team, and not just enjoy good sportsmanship? It's all so alien to me. And yet people think I'm mad! :heiscrazy: :tongueout:

Ketchup. Well... barely adequate condimentage in a burger (you want relish!), but with chips?! Bleurgh! Pass the mayonaisse!

Lager. (As in mass-produced, non-living beer.) Now, now, now... I'm not saying I won't drink it... I'm just saying I'll resent the fact that I have to! ;) A tasty ale (with live yeast) gives so much more pleasure than a bland, insipid load of chemicals... especially from a can.

Smartphones. Just... WTF?! I've worked in IT all my life, I went to university, I spend half my life using a computer... So I'm not stupid! But my bloody smartphone is! It's so slow and confusing. I feel like I've sold my life to Google (it's an Android phone), and nothing works when I want it to! The GPS takes about 15 minutes to tell me that I'm 200 miles away from where I actually am. Cutting and pasting text is like mastering a musical instument! The bizarre, arbitrary, yet precise number of taps and swipes required to select, cut, change apps, then paste is a game in itself! No wonder smartphones don't have a version of Snake pre-installed! The whole bloody user-interface is just one massive game of Snake!

The Office. (As in, the TV comedy series starring Ricky Gervais). When I first watched this my heart sank. The jokes fell flat... because... that's what working in a dull, lifeless office is really like! It just reminded me of the most inanely depressing parts of my working life ever, and I couldn't see beyond that to actually laugh at any of it... The humour was just too tragically real...

Soap operas. Just... who the f*** cares?! (Sorry!)

Sanch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Football. (Okay... any professional spectator sport.) Why? Just... why? It's a game... A fun, jolly game. Why do people get so excited about something that should be "a bit of a laugh"? Why do they care who kicks the ball in a particularly "good" way? Why do they tend to support a particular team, and not just enjoy good sportsmanship? It's all so alien to me. And yet people think I'm mad! :heiscrazy: :tongueout:

I love football, but I agree that it should be a laugh, and something people play and watch for entertainment and to enjoy themselves. I find the intensity and bitterness of club rivalries to be weird and often overly vitriolic, even if it's easy enough to get caught up in the fervour when you're watching the club you support play a rival team.

I've never been someone whose mood throughout each week is dictated by how the team I follow did at the weekend. I enjoy it if Man United win, I'm usually frustrated if we lose. But that doesn't dictate my mood in anything more than the short-term. I find it bizarre how some people will remain elated or dejected for long periods depending on the football results.

Tiny said:
The Office. (As in, the TV comedy series starring Ricky Gervais). When I first watched this my heart sank. The jokes fell flat... because... that's what working in a dull, lifeless office is really like! It just reminded me of the most inanely depressing parts of my working life ever, and I couldn't see beyond that to actually laugh at any of it... The humour was just too tragically real...

I'm absolutely on board with these two. I think most discerning people realise that the soaps are unanimously dreadful, though. As for The Office, I couldn't agree more. David Brent wasn't funny for me. It was just like working for a nightmare boss, but instead of getting paid for it, it was supposed to be entertainment. I don't get Ricky Gervais as a whole. He doesn't strike me as remotely likeable or witty.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Sports - no. I don't want to watch a bunch of overpaid rapists play a game.

The Beatles - they're good. I suppose I'm posting this because I feel like they get too much attention for being exactly good.

Sarevok

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover

Yeah I didn't care much for 1984 either.

I agree with sports. It seems weird. Me personally, I don't care to watch sports at all. I would rather play the games.

And soap operas. Yeah. I have never understood soap operas or their existence. Some of them have like 90 seasons and have been around for 40 years...seriously?! Why? What is so great about them? I can't understand spending so much time watching a show that (from what I've seen) can be exactly the same as real life. Why not just walk out your front door? I can understand watching fantasy/science fiction shows and movies or shows that aren't such but are of situations you will probably never experience.

And even stranger to me are the few actors who have been in the same soap opera for 30+ years (I looked up a couple of soap operas on IMDB once). I guess it could be easy money, but it's weird to me.

Hip-Hop and Rap music -- So far I have never heard any that I like. So far everything I've heard I've just found to be annoying. Sometimes very annoying.

Penny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Apple gadgets.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPod but I know a girl who as an iPod, iPhone and an iPad and trades them in for the newest one Everytime they make one which which is every two weeks or so! They're overpriced and who needs that many gadgets??? What are you doing with your life to need all that crap!

Chipotle.

They're pretty good. They are not crap your pants freak out "omg!!!" good. I have seen gaggles of girls....(I think a gathering of skinny blond chicks is called a gaggle) Anyway I have seen gaggles of them jumping up and down and squealing like they are about to meet some celebrity over a Danm burrito. Stop it. No.

I'm gonna second the sports thing.... Boring.

Oh!

Bacon.

The candy of meat? Are you serious? Put it on everything? Are you serious?
Denny's sold bacon Sundays. Let that sink in ICE CREAM AND BACON! For Christs sake. BACON IS NOT THAT GOOD IT DOESN'T BELONG ON EVERYTHING! It's not even that good for you. It clogs up your heart and makes you die early, stop putting it on everything it's gross!

Whetoric

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Carer
Inception - It billed itself as a movie for those that like to think but it was the most mindless, bullet-flying piece of crap I watched that year. Everyone ate it up, I wanted my $10 back when I came out the theater.

Mawile

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
Chipotle.

They are not crap your pants freak out "omg!!!" good.

I dunno, if you go to Chipotle and dont visit the bathroom on the way out youre probably going to crap your pants on the way home.

I can definitely agree with those who said sports. I just cant get into watching sports, love playing them, tho. Same with video games; I cant watch someone stream unless I personally know the person, and most often not even then. I was bored at work once (i work security, lots of downtime) and my girlfriend ran a dungeon with someone who was streaming so I popped in for a few minutes.

Another thing: vodka. It mixes well it just about anything, I'll give it that. But even with Russian in my blood, I gotta say its probably my least favorite liquor aside from whisky (which I guess is also popular).

And pretty much any big celebrity other than RDJ. Unless Antonio Banderas is still a celeb. They're my man crushes <3

MetalMann

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I agree about Chipotle, they aren't as good as the internet perceived. I thought I was about to get something special. It definitely wasn't. We don't have one where I live and I'm not jealous at all. Izzo's Illegal Burritos are way better. More options, better ingredients, and you won't leave hungry.

Frogsy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Ketchup. Well... barely adequate condimentage in a burger (you want relish!), but with chips?! Bleurgh! Pass the mayonaisse!

This caused some contention over here, since Adventurer (sitting next to me) puts ketchup on anything he possibly can. Out of everything, I can't believe that the "ketchup" answer caused the most outrage ;)

Anyway, in my own kind of group and people who I hang out with, my dislike of Notes from the Underground caused some distress. I get the book, but the character was so awful that I just didn't want to read anymore about what he did or said or especially what he thought.

Also, I didn't like The Wire - getting through 3 episodes of it and not being able to take it. I couldn't tell who was who (face blindness here) and I could barely hear them or understand what they were saying. I realize that not liking The Wire is a crime against pop culture, but I couldn't do it.

Lastly, I don't like chicken wings. It's like all bone and fat and a ridiculously small portion of actual meat. It's messy. And half the time is a game of how spicy they can make it.

Shran

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
The art style of Spongebob Square Pants, Rugrats, and Ed Edd 'n Eddy. I don't know if the story line was good or not, I just never liked the art style.

pop/soda/coke, or whatever you call it where you live. It was fine when I was younger but now I really don't like it.

Burger King/McDonalds. I don't even like the fries from there.

cars. Unless they are toy cars. Toy cars are fun, real cars not so much.

beer. I have never been able to stand the taste.

Football. I find it to be very boring.

kitterdafoxy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
The art style of Spongebob Square Pants, Rugrats, and Ed Edd 'n Eddy. I don't know if the story line was good or not, I just never liked the art style.

pop/soda/coke, or whatever you call it where you live. It was fine when I was younger but now I really don't like it.

Burger King/McDonalds. I don't even like the fries from there.

cars. Unless they are toy cars. Toy cars are fun, real cars not so much.

beer. I have never been able to stand the taste.

Football. I find it to be very boring.

I have to agree, grainy lineart such as rugrats always made me very sad, I don't know why, it's probably just one of my quirks

- - - Updated - - -

I agree about Chipotle, they aren't as good as the internet perceived. I thought I was about to get something special. It definitely wasn't. We don't have one where I live and I'm not jealous at all. Izzo's Illegal Burritos are way better. More options, better ingredients, and you won't leave hungry.

What makes the burritos illegal, do they have Peruvian Puff Peppers or something?

Avalanche

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Apple gadgets.

If I had to pick one thing as answer to this thread's question, it's Apple.

Big respect to how they've done their marketing and got half the planet crazy about their toys. But I don't get it. I don't believe my life would get better with it. I'm still using my old dumb phone.

Smartphones. Just... WTF?! I've worked in IT all my life, I went to university, I spend half my life using a computer... So I'm not stupid! But my bloody smartphone is! It's so slow and confusing. I feel like I've sold my life to Google (it's an Android phone), and nothing works when I want it to! The GPS takes about 15 minutes to tell me that I'm 200 miles away from where I actually am. Cutting and pasting text is like mastering a musical instument! The bizarre, arbitrary, yet precise number of taps and swipes required to select, cut, change apps, then paste is a game in itself! No wonder smartphones don't have a version of Snake pre-installed! The whole bloody user-interface is just one massive game of Snake!

What a nice rant :) Unfortunately, when your work at least marginally touches the technology sector, everybody is always pushing these gadgets on you. Like you're not really an IT person if you don't use a smartphone and tablet and have your whole life uploaded in clouds.

Oh and I loved playing snake!

Entity

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Private
I detest checkout lane tabloids. They take a barely veiled "free press" stance and fill a book with as many lies as they can possibly photoshop in. They are the reason some celebs come off as a-holes; cuz the paparazzi won't leave 'em alone!

I also think that tim an eric: ASGJ has the capability of reducing a persons IQ at a rate of several points per minute viewed. On the flip side, Superjail is mostly crude nonsense, albeit somewhat acceptable.

Mainstream beer. My current favorite is Golden Frau out of Thunderhead. Bud lite tastes like piss water. Bud heavy tastes like grease infused piss water. Bash me all you want; the bottom line is you get one more beer cuz I ain't drinkin' it.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Soda
Sports
Video Games
Computer Games
Sitcoms
Horror and or Slash Movies
Romantic Comedies
Fast Food
Frozen Pizza
Weed
Obama
Hillary, Kerry, Nader & Massachusetts
I-Anything
Cable TV
Sweet, Tea, Wine or anything.
Hannah, Selena and their like

I guess I'm a grumpy old man!

ReptilianWanderer617

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Diaperfur
Halo, and most FPS's
My Little Pony Friendship is Magic
Most Creepypastas
Alcohol
Tobacco
Drugs
Sports (especially basketball)
Apple Products
Facebook
Twitter
Family Guy
South Park

And I think that's about it. I think it's mostly the Hype-Backlash effect in my case about these.

Last edited:

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Sitcoms. My wife likes them but I hate most of them. There are exceptions of course, like Modern Family, The Middle and Big Bang Theory, but most of them are stupid and not funny.

Yeah...McDonalds. Their food usually makes me sick.

Chic-filet I personally think their chicken sucks. I make a great breast of chicken on the grill, and it doesn't have that after taste of preservative chemicals.

Walmart. Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.