Popular NAS setups

Maromi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Hello, was curious if anyone here is running a home NAS. What's your hardware like.
I got a WD my cloud today with the raid 1 setup after deciding it would be harder to loose like a WD passport.

Some guys at work reccomend synology NAS though, but the backup software seems to work fine on the WD Cloud so far.

Actually got it open box up the road near the NASA complex and it has a NASA username on it, but I couldnt decrypt the data because I didnt know the password LOL

Anyway its just some regular old 4TB raid 1 with the WD Red drives

Last edited:

LePew

Staying dry in the city of rain
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I’ve got a synology and I love it. It runs my media server, backups, nas, video surveillance, and my Apple HomeKit system (converts non-HomeKit devices into HomeKit). And of course, it’s got much more functionality than that if I needed it!

Reactions: Billybatts

Maromi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
LePew said:
I’ve got a synology and I love it. It runs my media server, backups, nas, video surveillance, and my Apple HomeKit system (converts non-HomeKit devices into HomeKit). And of course, it’s got much more functionality than that if I needed it!
Sounds nice. I was about to run out of space on google drive so I figured why not....
Its actually saving me some money because I was going to throw a 4TB m.2 in my desktop and it wouldnt be raid 1'd and it would have been backed up to a WD passport.

Really sort of against the idea now of using WD passports ever since I lost one. I guess it got stolen or it slid into the trash can off my desk.

Now planning to sell the two 4TB passports I got. What I like about the WD cloud app though is it can auto backup your camera roll on iphone, which is perfect. I just have my two desktops mapped with NFS now and they're good.

Since this device is plugged in would def be harder to steal or loose

As for surveillance, yeah thats another thing. I was going to record all my cameras to the m.2 but I'm sure it would have worn out too fast. Though Im not sure if the WD Cloud can do ONVIF.

Last edited: