• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Pop or Soda?

What do you call it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secretdl26

What is your choice? I wonder whether it is regional or not so post your region (US or otherwise) along with your choice.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Soda. There are other names than those two, by the way.

Oh, I see you have them in the poll. Nevermind then

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Us Baltomorons always called any soft drink soda when I was growing up. Of course, in our house soda always meant Coke!:)

A neighbor kid in the next building was originally from Michigan and he always used the term "soda pop" or just plain "pop".

~Pramrider

NoobSauce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
Funny thing is we actually studied this in AP Human Geo.

Pop is a NW term, Coke is a Southern term (Coca-Cola advertising WIN right there) and Soda is a NE term. Dunno much about soft drink, though.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
quote from a friend of mine:

Him : You wanna coke?
Me : Sure
Him : What kind?
Me : meh, Mountain Dew

coke is used almost interchangeably with soda because of its popularity here.

Chaoswolf

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, Carer
lol ins't calling it coke kinda specific? XD

well good thing I love coke the most :3

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Pop. Definitely pop :p. We call it that in both western PA and central Indiana.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
Here in Texas, almost everyone says coke. Sometimes, you'll hear soda. Never, ever pop.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Pop is the only proper way to say it. After all, the midwest is the only reserve of proper spoken American English.

spacemanBEN

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
It is definitely a regional thing... but pop is the right term as far as I can say. Saying soda is somewhat akin to saying y'all here. In other words it doesn't go over well. My cousins used to make fun of me for calling it pop, but that's the only word that works for me.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
Dude, it's soda. And it'll always be soda..

Cause America rocks! And the way America says it is how it should be said!

See what I did there? Aren't I funny? :D

D

dixon

i usually call it pop, as i am in the midwest :) of america, but every once in awhile i will call it soda, but never coke, or soft drink, that would lead to awkwardness o_O

closet dl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Soda usually, but also Coke. My dad says "Co-Cola". I'm originally from Georgia, my parents are from North Carolina.

closet dl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Pop is the only proper way to say it. After all, the midwest is the only reserve of proper spoken American English.
I would point out, however, that as odd as it sounds, the English spoken in Appalachia has recently been recognized as being the closest to proper Shakesperian English (evn closer than the current "British" English.) This is because of the isolation that took place of the population in the mountains relatively soon after their immigration.

Status
Not open for further replies.