poll: photic sneeze reflex

Do you sneeze in response to BRIGHT LIGHT?

• YES

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • NO

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baby kiffer

Well, I've searched the forums, and I feel rest-assured this has not been posted before...so....

Here is the question: Do any of you sneeze (or have the urge to) when you look at bright light? (the sun, for example)

Evidently, it is a genetically inherited (autosomal [not sex linked] dominant, according to this guy) malformation of the nerves that run from your nose and eyes...they link together. If the retinal nerves are overstimulated (via bright light), it triggers the nerves in your nose. It could also be caused by the use of tobacco.

You can see the wiki article here, but you should read the primary sources, below, that wiki used.

Individual differences with respect to the sneezin...[Hum Hered. 1983] - PubMed Result

The photic sneeze reflex as a risk factor to comba...[Mil Med. 1993] - PubMed Result

Solar Sneeze Reflex

The photic sneeze response: a descriptive report o...[J Am Optom Assoc. 1995] - PubMed Result

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I've had this suggested to me when I've had to sneeze. I don't know whether it was a coincidence or not, but sometimes it seems to work, but sometimes it does nothing at all.

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Looking at bright lights actually stop me from sneezing. .-.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Yes! As far back as I can remember, soon as I get out in the bright sunlight it triggers a sneeze. My son is the same way. I just figured the bright light made my eyes water which trickled down through the tear ducts into my nose causing the sneeze trigger to activate.

~Pramrider

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
When I'm about to sneeze, I look to bright lights because it helps me to finish it and not loosing the sneeze, but normally I don't sneeze just because of bright light. When I look to the sun I'm more likely to have a terrible headache until going to sleep, rather than a sneeze.

Samaki

Contributor
Role
I do... just walking outside can make me have to sneeze... It's quite annoying... I can stop sneezing outside after about 5 minutes.

I usually just dive for cover under a tree or something, it works sometimes, although it sometiems doesn't and i still sneeze...

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Not only do I sneeze sometimes because of bright sunlight, it almost killed me when I was 14. I was crossing a busy highway, and the last thing I can remember was how bright the sun was. It's like I went into a trance. Apparently I just walked out into the oncoming traffic. I was hit by a car running the light at 40 mph. While unconscious, I was in this place, asleep in a bed surrounded by a bright light, and I was totally at peace. When I came to, I was laying face up on Rt. 37 with a broken leg. Six months later I was able to go back to school. Sunlight does weird things to me.

BluTack

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
When I look at the moon i don't sneeze... The moon is the sun to me at the moment.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
No, not that I've ever realized.

Icey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, Little, Carer
Sun sneezes as my dad & I call them, they annoy the heck out of me!! My sneezes always come in 3's or 4's, no more & no less!!

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I used to sneeze from bright lights almost every time. I seem to be getting over it now though, happens rarely now.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Sometimes it happens to me too, mostly during summer.
when I wake up in the morning I start to sneeze and I continue for 1 hour.

Role
Private
Can't say I've heard of this before, nor do I have it though. I only sneeze when my nose is severely irritated or I have a cold/flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.