Politically incorrect homophobic observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiny

Est. Contributor
With a nod to a certain other similarly-titled thread, I just had to alert you to this.

Now, I've heard of diapers being made specifically for boys or girls, but WTF is this?! Diapers for gay kids?!

Seriously. These actually exist.

lxb-008_1z.jpg

https://www.poofdiapers.com/

Umm... is ''poof'' some type of LGBT-related phrase I'm not aware of? Because I'm not seeing how this are related to homosexuality?... :/

- - - Updated - - -

KimbaStarshine said:
Umm... is ''poof'' some type of LGBT-related phrase I'm not aware of? Because I'm not seeing how this are related to homosexuality?... :/

"Poof" or "Poofter" is a derogatory British/Australian slang term for a Homosexual male. Turned up quite often on Monty Python - i.e. "Fairy! Poof's not good enough for Algy, is it? He's got to be a bleedin' fairy. Mincing old RAF queen!"

Oh! I didn't realise it wasn't a known phrase in other English-speaking countries.

But yeah: "poof" or "poofter" are pretty offensive terms for gay men. Would it be similar to your "fag" and "faggot"?

I don't know, but my jaw dropped when I saw that brand name! :eek!: Did they do no research?!

Ya, from my perspective with poof not being a bad term here ... it seems like a pretty normal name XD.

tiny said:
Oh! I didn't realise it wasn't a known phrase in other English-speaking countries.

But yeah: "poof" or "poofter" are pretty offensive terms for gay men. Would it be similar to your "fag" and "faggot"?

I don't know, but my jaw dropped when I saw that brand name! :eek!: Did they do no research?!

Yeah, I guess those would be the American versions. Over here in the States, I don't think ''poof'' would get the same reaction. In fact, on the Nickelodeon cartoon The Fairly Oddparents (which is aimed at kids), there's a baby fairy named Poof.

I think they act to advertise their environmental friendly diaper? Like "poof, no more trash", or maybe even "poof, no smell!"

Isn't there a service Hotline that you can call just to ask this? :9

Well your thread title bothered me honestly more than the diapers.

I'm not British so maybe I would feel otherwise if I knew, but if I found a brand of diapers in another country were labeled ... I dunno ... "Baby Gay!" because they didn't realize that the word had a couple of meanings, I'd laugh - not be offended.

I think it's more hurtful to think or imply that there can be 'too much gayness' out there rather than someone making a cultural mistake...

As an American who tries to keep up on Brit-speak, I found your thread a bit of a way homer. When I finally realized what you were getting at, I had a good laugh.

I am not amused with the hate-filled slang terms for persons such as myself.
In fact I experience the internal feeling of disgust.
It may be a brand of Baby Diapers, but the brand-name can be taken the wrong way.

I suppose this is the same British culture that calls cigarettes "fags".....sigh. Sort of kidding here. Anyway, I seriously hope they didn't even make the connection to the Monty Python reference of Poof to homosexuals. However, this is the age of Trump where political correctness is banished!

Starrunner said:
So, according to the Urban Dictionary, a poof is defined as:

"A homosexual, the poor man's term for homosexual. A word made famous and most commonly associated with Monty Python."
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poof,

Then, according to The Free Dictionary, 'poof' is a term used to describe a sudden vanishing. The definition is followed by a second definition referring to it as a 'term used as a disparaging termmfor an effeminate man, especially an effeminate gay man.'

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/poof

It's interesting, as a gay man myself, I would have clued in to the reference about poof referring to biodegradable products but not the disparaging reference against gays. Tiny, I like to think it's because we're that much more civilized in this part of the world! :tongueout:

Oh, I don't think the word has anything to do with Monty Python. It was a pretty common phrase for gay (usually effeminate) men. Back in the 1960s and 70s it wouldn't have been entirely polite, but it wouldn't have had quite the same offensive connotations as in these more enlightened times.

There was a TV magician in the 1980s who put on a somewhat camp stage persona, and used to make things disappear with the phrase "pif, paf, poof" -- with "poof" being a pun referring to both his campness and an object vanishing. They were family-oriented programmes, so the word certainly wasn't seen as unsuitable for a young audience at that time.

Trevor said:
As an American who tries to keep up on Brit-speak, I found your thread a bit of a way homer. When I finally realized what you were getting at, I had a good laugh.

Ha ha... It's funny, isn't it?! We have almost the same language, but I still come across Americanisms I'm not familiar with! So... what's a "way homer"? (*Scrabbles away on google*).... Ohhh, right! Ha ha -- that's a cool phrase! :)

AdorableRabbit said:
Well your thread title bothered me honestly more than the diapers.

Really?! Why? I "observed" something that, to my eyes looked "politically incorrect" and "homophobic". :-/ It's was a play-on-words (or a play-on-concept) of Maxx's thread entitled, "Politically incorrect sexist observation".

AdorableRabbit said:
I'm not British so maybe I would feel otherwise if I knew, but if I found a brand of diapers in another country were labeled ... I dunno ... "Baby Gay!" because they didn't realize that the word had a couple of meanings, I'd laugh - not be offended.

Sure... same here. I laughed and thought, "Wow! I can't believe they're called that!". It'd be pretty silly to be more offended by abstract symbols than idealogical concepts.

AdorableRabbit said:
I think it's more hurtful to think or imply that there can be 'too much gayness' out there rather than someone making a cultural mistake...

It shouldn't be hurtful at all if someone makes a cultural mistake; it should be funny. I mean... seriously... no one with any sense is going to see that brand of diapers and be offended by it (assuming the company were unaware of the pejorative sense of the word).

dogboy said:
I suppose this is the same British culture that calls cigarettes "fags".....sigh. Sort of kidding here.

Heh. In public schools, "fags" would also be the younger boys assigned as a kind of personal servant to the older boys. Fortunately this relic of a bygone era was phased out in the 70s/80s (so recently!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagging

And we eat faggots for dinner, too. They look very much like what they're made of!

pork-faggots.jpg

Last edited:
caitianx said:
It may be a brand of Baby Diapers, but the brand-name can be taken the wrong way.

Differences in languages. The intent is what is important, not the word. If you get offended by the word when you are very well aware it wasn't meant to be offensive and has to do with a difference in language, it means you are taking it to personal.

tiny said:
[Snipped]

Ha ha... It's funny, isn't it?! We have almost the same language, but I still come across Americanisms I'm not familiar with! So... what's a "way homer"? (*Scrabbles away on google*).... Ohhh, right! Ha ha -- that's a cool phrase! :) [Snipped]

I left that one there for you. I don't think it's super common but I like it. I think I first ran across it in Raising Arizona.

tiny said:
And we eat faggots for dinner, too. They look very much like what they're made of!

View attachment 28446

Haha....I was doing that during my gay years at college!!! Too much? Anyway, I'm enjoying this thread.

Just wait 'til they hear about Fruit Squash, tiny.
Eek!

tiny said:
With a nod to a certain other similarly-titled thread, I just had to alert you to this.

Now, I've heard of diapers being made specifically for boys or girls, but WTF is this?! Diapers for gay kids?!

Seriously. These actually exist.

View attachment 28441

https://www.poofdiapers.com/

A) boy and girl diapers make sense. They have padding and sap concentrated in different areas.

B) How in hell do you even arrive at this having anything at all to do with homosexuality other than just making it up? "Poof" appears to just be the brand name.

- - - Updated - - -

caitianx said:

You must really hate Fruit of the Loom underwear then. Must drive you nuts that British people call cigarettes "fags". How do you even cope with England having a Queen (since "queen" can be used as a slur against certain people".

You're literally making things up to be offended by. This country has turned into a friggin' victim factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back